Hows the Zodiac compared to the GP 32?

fran

Still Fresh
i sold my non-FLU gp32 and am currently torn between buying a a FLU GP32 or a Zodiac..

gow are the roms for Zodiac? has a good GP 32 snes rom come out?

also, have any new commercial gp32 games come out?

thanks all

I been researching the same thing. have a look thru the off topic forums and theres a thread or 2 there. right now id hold off buying a zodiac until.
  • They get all their problems with the hardware sorted (analogue, audio jack etc)
  • Wait until there are better emus for it (the only emu that the Zodiac has that is better is Castaway, which is pretty damn fine on the GP right now anyway.
You might also want to wait until it is commercially released to save some ££. its a fair amount to buy it now and u might have problems with it when u get it anywya.

Anyway, thats just my opinion, but the gp scene is rocking right now :).

ZODIAC.. better than GP32.. but then GP32 is better than GBA.. but GBA more popular..!

With PSP, GameCOn and possible new GBA coming out.. i think ZODIAC already DEAD.... It will not go mainstream.. just like GP32 will never be mainstream..!

With PSP. if it lives up to half its expectations.. it will sell like hot cakes.. and witht he raw power.. the emu scene will rocket.....

The Zodiac has more commercial support, but a lot less emulators. It is more powerfull (200mhz) but a lot of that power is spent on filling the extra resolution. The GP should be capable of the same games but at it's lower resolution. As mentioned, it's having a few teething troubles.

Noy necessarily.. The PSP is going to be dear ( £250 ish), missing out on one of the GameBoys reasons for success, and with the specs they're listing, I find it hard to believe the batteries will last long, the other main reason for the GBs success. If they package it with a mobile style rechargable (which they might be, I haven't checked the specs), it might have an OK battery life.The GameBoy's past is littered with technically superior consoles with poor battery life and high price tags falling by the wayside.

But then again Sony has a good track record in the console market, and the PlayStation brand is strong. And Ninty have been pissing off developers with high licensing fees too.

So I don't know, but I don't think it's clear cut.

From what i read, it seems to be that all the Zodiac emulators cost money, some up to $20. I think all of the emulators must be approved by the company or something, I don't know much but from what I've read it seem something like that is going on. Anyone know?

250 pounds 0_o. Sony isn't that stupid, it'll probably be more like 150 if they expect it to sell at all. Sony might be the kings of hype, but at that price they'd have no chance.

the PSP would be the best! but other than that gp32 all the way :D well actually i would rather have an ipaq...

The question is really simple.

If you wanna have a handheld with many free and good application, games and tools as well as a nice and friendly scene, go for the GP32.

If you have too much money and wanna have quite the same a bit more powerful, but less emulators and stuff (and wanna give away your money for it), go to the Zodiac.

If you wanna play games only and don't care to waste time, go for the GBA or PSP. You can't compare both to the GP32 or Zodiac, because they are (will be) mainstream and it will be used up to 98% for games only.

From what i read, it seems to be that all the Zodiac emulators cost money, some up to $20. I think all of the emulators must be approved by the company or something, I don't know much but from what I've read it seem something like that is going on. Anyone know?
This has nothing to do with the company behind the Zodiac. Zodiac is PalmOS and most people developing for PalmOS charge money for their software (good freeware for the Palm is rare IMO) There simply are not that many people creating freeware for the Palm/Zodiac, especially when compared to PC or GP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main reason i thought about gettin 1 is because it seems to be better made (eg with its metal body and not just some shoddy after thought lighting system). If the gp32 had better quality constuction id never thing about getting anything else. if a new body came out for the gp, or even if a guide to fitting a better flu switch was released, i dont think id bother with the zodiac ever.

Back