Hello, Just Joined The Community

I'm running Mono Develop 5.5 on Sid :)   Who would have imagined this little tiny machine can run Microsoft C#!  ;)   Pretty cool!
Awe... too bad I don't know how to develop or port anything, otherwise I'd try to install this Mono Develop thing. I've never heard of it before. Well, I have the C++ pnd & I installed fortran with apt-get. I then built jday: http://jday.sourceforge.net/

I'm running Mono Develop 5.5 on Sid :)   Who would have imagined this little tiny machine can run Microsoft C#!  ;)   Pretty cool!
Awe... too bad I don't know how to develop or port anything, otherwise I'd try to install this Mono Develop thing. I've never heard of it before. Well, I have the C++ pnd & I installed fortran with apt-get. I then built jday: http://jday.sourceforge.net/
Shameless plug...

You can run Mono Develop on SuperZaxxon also, there is PND for that.

Codeblocks also as most programming language in 1 (huge) package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shameless plug...

I had Code::Blocks for a day :) It was too complicated and I didn't know what it was good for or how to use it, so I deleted it. Does it work on a simple terminal where you can just type out things like: ./configure --- make --- make install ?

Shameless plug...

I had Code::Blocks for a day :) It was too complicated and I didn't know what it was good for or how to use it, so I deleted it. Does it work on a simple terminal where you can just type out things like: ./configure --- make --- make install ?
Yes, there is a "Command Line" from Codeblocks in the Developpement menu, where you can ./configure, make, git, svn... mostly everything.

Yes, there is a "Command Line" from Codeblocks in the Developpement menu, where you can ./configure, make, git, svn... mostly everything.
Oh... I reinstalled it :) I found a few other pnd apps by you and installed those too. Thanks. Is porting stuff hard to learn?

I've found a strange problem with my pandora:

If I type at the super zaxxon terminal ~$ su

it will ask me for my password. When I type my password, it says: su: authentication failed.

If I use a pnd called "root terminal" it will ask me for my password, when I type it in, it does not recognize my password.

BUT: when I use PanDebian and I type $ su at the terminal and give my password, it works. 

Is there a way to fix it so that the super zaxxon thing recognizes my password? I only have one password, it's the one I inputted during the initial setup that I use to login with?

I'm on super zaxxon 1.70.

"su" and the root terminal try to log you in as root. As ingoreis says, "root" needs a password for that but for security reasons the root password is just garbage; some implementations completely remove roots password and ability to log in entirely.

What you can do is either set a root password, just like ingoreis says, or use "sudo su" to start a root terminal using your own credentials.

The security reason for this is that if you allow root to log in (via the "root terminal" or simply "su") then you have no idea who it was or how they did it, if something gets messed up as a result you have a hard time tracking down the culprit. If you get in through "sudo su" then there's a record, you can say "ahah! User 854 sudo'd this command and caused all these problems".

Thanks Wizardstan, now I understand the rationale for sudo, which I never did before.

have you tried to set your Root password new?

sudo passwd root

Then should the su work ;)
Thanks Ingoreis! This worked for the default lx-terminal for super zaxxon! But there is another terminal in Accessories named 'root terminal' which says it is an 'x-terminal-emulator.' When I start up this terminal a dialogue box asks me to input my "administrative password." I use my only password - the one I used for sudo passwd root - and it doesn't recognize it.

"su" and the root terminal try to log you in as root. As ingoreis says, "root" needs a password for that but for security reasons the root password is just garbage; some implementations completely remove roots password and ability to log in entirely.

What you can do is either set a root password, just like ingoreis says, or use "sudo su" to start a root terminal using your own credentials.

The security reason for this is that if you allow root to log in (via the "root terminal" or simply "su") then you have no idea who it was or how they did it, if something gets messed up as a result you have a hard time tracking down the culprit. If you get in through "sudo su" then there's a record, you can say "ahah! User 854 sudo'd this command and caused all these problems".
Thanks Wizard. I barely understand all this sudo stuff. Some things you are doing just ask for the sudo password. I'll try sudo su as soon as my pandora is charged up.

Nice to have you here. The Pandora keyboard takes q bit to get used to but I love it. I've typed over 200 pages of my stories on it. Even finished and I'm editing my first book on it :) I needed a portable word processor and a nice music player. The Pandora is perfectly suited for both. My advice is too take a document you need to edit to learn the keyboard. The FN key functions will be the ones that trip you up at first, he'll sometimes I still need to look at the keyboard to see what I need..

Ps: looking forward to the Pyras ability to.use SIM data. Wil make it easier on me since I detest virtual touchscreen keyboards....

Nice to have you here. The Pandora keyboard takes q bit to get used to but I love it. I've typed over 200 pages of my stories on it. Even finished and I'm editing my first book on it :) I needed a portable word processor and a nice music player. The Pandora is perfectly suited for both. My advice is too take a document you need to edit to learn the keyboard. The FN key functions will be the ones that trip you up at first, he'll sometimes I still need to look at the keyboard to see what I need..

Ps: looking forward to the Pyras ability to.use SIM data. Wil make it easier on me since I detest virtual touchscreen keyboards....
Thanks for the welcome DrHax. I bought a pandora for the same reason: to write with on the go. I want to have something on hand to write with when those waves of creative impulse hits. I've been playing around with the writing apps and I'm getting the hang of the keys. Having a shoulder key as a shift was a great idea! I also hate virtual keyboards. Those touch screen keyboards are more for the "consumer" end of the market. The producer end of the market - people who write, make music, program, and so on - seem to dislike virtual keyboards.

I figure that one of these days some phone manufacturer is going to make a killing when they introduce the "Next big thing" physical buttons! what a novel idea... ;)

- Neelix

I figure that one of these days some phone manufacturer is going to make a killing when they introduce the "Next big thing" physical buttons! what a novel idea... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KMy1zO8m8sM#t=22
Oddly enough the second line in that clip sums up my opinion of most touch screen based user interfaces. ;)

- Neelix
I agree with you in most circumstances, since it isn't a good method for input.  About the only thing it is good for is interacting with what is being displayed, such as to rotate an image or scroll through text, or zooming in and out, which can all be accomplished easily with other control methods.

I was going to use later timeline Star Trek series as an example, but now that I think about it I seem to recall that they would sometimes use voice commands for things that would be easier to do with a touchscreen or keyboard and mouse, and they used touch screens to do things that would better be accomplished with a keyboard...  At least other advances made it so that the computers could help the user (maybe like autocorrect and other things, but less idiotic).  I still like the design and layout of LCARS, though, and I wouldn't mind having holodecks, transporters and replicators.

I was going to use later timeline Star Trek series as an example, but now that I think about it I seem to recall that they would sometimes use voice commands for things that would be easier to do with a touchscreen or keyboard and mouse, and they used touch screens to do things that would better be accomplished with a keyboard... At least other advances made it so that the computers could help the user (maybe like autocorrect and other things, but less idiotic). I still like the design and layout of LCARS, though, and I wouldn't mind having holodecks, transporters and replicators.
*nods* The Star Trek TNG stuff looked really cool and futuristic at the time. It's only now that items with similar interfaces are available in reality that I've realised that those interfaces really leave a lot to be desired.

(It does strike me though that if anyone had a right to some of the IP Apple and Samsung have been fighting over since the introduction of iPhones and Android it's the Star Trek set designers)

- Neelix

Heh, Microsoft calls "OneGet" is a new cool and futuristic thing in Windows 10 while linux community has been enjoying package manager since forever ...

Back