headphones/ earbuds

H

hakmanplayer

Could anyone out there please suggest the best headphones/earbuds for my Pandora??

I use a pair of Sennheiser PX200s, myself (they're folding, closed, over-ear headphones - they look sort of like miniature DJ-style headphones). They're the most expensive headphones I've ever bought (I got them for about £35, on sale), but they were well worth it - they sound fantastic hooked up to the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
using Sennheiser HD280 Pro, which will run you anywhere form $80-$130, also using Sennheiser HD598, which will run you anywhere from $170-$270, i call them my pride and joy

btw, you could check this for more replies

I respect your opinions and will look into buying that brand.

Last edited:
for people like me who often lose / break headphones I dont spend that much

ive had 3 sets of Sennheiser CX 300-II which are £15-20 and at the moment am using some skull candy ones of about the same range, the Sennheiser were very good IMO

Your best bang for the buck headphones are Koss Porta Pro. Slightly better sounding than PX100s and better sounding than PX200 (sorry Prometheus ;) ) and IMHO better sounding than the HD280s too.

The PX200 and HD280 are both closed back cans. Both are good but a similarly priced open can usually beats a closed price headphone on sound quality.

If Keeping the sound in and noise out are considerations i.e. while travelling or shutting out the TV then both the PX200 and HD280 are very good. If not the go for Koss Porta Pro and you won't regret it.

Oh and I've owned all three ;)

My review of the Pandora's sound is Here

If Keeping the sound in and noise out are considerations i.e. while travelling or shutting out the TV then both the PX200 and HD280 are very good.
I should specify, this is a big reason why I got the PX200s. :p

^ Indeed, I know I did. I got them a little while before pre-orders for the Pandora originally opened, and I've had years of flawless service out of them at this point. They block out outside noise and keep my sound in just fine for my needs. :D

thats why i own one open can, and one closed can set, i wouldn't've gotten the 280s if they were open, and i wouldn't've gotten the 598s if they were closed, they both serve their purpose and both get used extensively and i will highly recommend Sennheisers to anybody, and anybody looking for a great cheap set of clip on headphones, i will recommend the Koss KSC75. they sound great at a mere $12-$15. i also bought some LG HBS-250 bluetooth headphones specifically for the pandora once it arrives, so i cant give any review on it as i havent tried them yet, found them on a good sale so i had to pick up a bluetooth set for pandora

Westone UM3X Monitor w/ Removable Cable or Shure SE 210s when I'm on the go.

For home/hotel:

Grado (any of their cans are great from SR-60i upwards). Haven't tried Grado In Ear Series yet.

I use a pair of ... white... earbud... things. I got them from the dollar store. They cost a dollar. Every 3 or 4 months they break and I need to get another pair.

I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones for my Pandora. They're full sized closed headphones. Price of them greatly depends on where you find them. I got mine new in box on ebay for ~$100 USD, but their popularity has apparently made the price spike up closer to $150 USD last time I checked.

They're built like a tank with thick plastics, the cord is very thick, and they can be folded up for easier storage. Durability shouldn't be a concern with these things, they're basically like the IBM Thinkpad of headphones. I own about 6 pairs of headphones in the $100-300 range (few from beyerdynamic, grado, sennheiser, akg, AT) and these stand out as easily the best for their respective price.

I still recommend and enjoy using the Sony in ear buds, while they do eventually crap out or your wife tries to untangle the cord and rips out the wire, at around $30 they are excellent and inexpensive to replace. I recently got a replacement pair as a gift which I found on Amazon, and it has a built in mic on the cord and they were going for $12. So look around. Great kit if you don't want to invest $100+ on headphones. They are crisp and clear and even can thump the bass too...

You can't just ask for "best" and have people recommend random models. The HD280 is big and bulky if you want something light and portable. It all depends on what you want to use it for. Sounds are very subjective, people hear differently, what sounds good to someone else might not sound good for you.

I am not affiliated with this website, but you can check headphone.com. They sell some of the best headphones for audiophiles, its well organized and each headphone are given a summary review. Their price are pricey though, so I normally buy from amazon.com.

Some of the brands I like are Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamic and AKG. For IEMs, I like Etymotic, Shure are supposed to be good, but I never liked them as much as Etymotic. Avoid BOSE and Monster Cables at all cost.

Right now I'm using the earbuds/headset that came packages with the Palm Pre phone, its sold for $2, but it sound much better than it cost.

Back