Headphon Socket

nomme

Still Fresh
is the headphone socket fixed on the mk2 model of the gp2x cos im ordering 1 and my friend has had trouble with his headphone socket from the first bach of them.
(if you reply thanks in advance) :D

nomme posted on May 26 2006 at 07:39 PM said:
is the headphone socket fixed on the mk2 model of the gp2x cos im ordering 1 and my friend has had trouble with his headphone socket from the first bach of them.
(if you reply thanks in advance) :D

It is fixed, Anarchy from gp32spain opened one.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSyMastR posted on May 26 2006 at 07:22 PM said:
The headphone socket was fixed on the non-first eddition MK1's.

what do you mean by fixed? i returned my first edition when the headphone socket fell in, but the non-first edition replacement doesn't turn the sound off when the headphones are inserted, haven't got around to fixing it yet.

That's weird... I sent back my First Edition...

And got a hybrid back made out of other First Edition parts, and some of my old parts.

And the case still says "First Edition" and on the info screen it says it is still from the third run (v102), but the serial number is a few hundred later...

EDIT: And my headphone socket was fine on both. I sent it back for flicker, which is much better now.

mrsnature posted on May 26 2006 at 06:29 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on May 26 2006 at 07:22 PM said:
The headphone socket was fixed on the non-first eddition MK1's.

what do you mean by fixed? i returned my first edition when the headphone socket fell in, but the non-first edition replacement doesn't turn the sound off when the headphones are inserted, haven't got around to fixing it yet.
I have a non-first eddition MK1, and the sound turns off when my headphones are in, Ive even tested it. Maybe you just have a faulty unit.

The non-first Editions were BETTER soldered, but far from being perfect.
If the speakers don't switch off, one contact of the headphone port wasn't soldered good enough (a common problem).

EvilDragon posted on May 26 2006 at 10:36 PM said:
If the speakers don't switch off, one contact of the headphone port wasn't soldered good enough (a common problem).
any way to fix this? mine does it and I would like it to not so I can watch movies during school again

DemonStar55 posted on May 27 2006 at 02:26 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on May 26 2006 at 10:36 PM said:
any way to fix this? mine does it and I would like it to not so I can watch movies during school again
It seems the nubs on the board side of the headphone socket aren't doing their job to hold it down.

I would use some good de-soldering braid to take the socket off totally and clean up the solder pads on the board, then use JB-Weld to connect those nubs to the holes in the circuit board, finally: do a good job of soldering the electrical contacts to the solder pads.

Remember to follow the JB-Weld instructions to the letter and give it time to set overnight.

I would do that to my GP2X if it started giving me trouble, also I would try making the opening in the GP2X plastic a little bigger or farther down to ease access to the socket. I would do that with a mill to minimize damage and make it look good.

Back