Have You Ever Drawn Maps For Games?

Have you ever drawn your own maps for games that you play?

• Yes, all the time!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, on one or two games

• No, but i should try it sometime

• No, why would you want to do that

• Total voters

onionfrog

Sir Cheapass Gamer
Website
Visit site
I know im not nearly as retro as many people here... I grew up in the 16 bit era.. with the ocasional bit of play the Nes at my aunts.. so i never really drew my maps for games... and i didnt play rpgs... and there wasnt anything to map out for sonic... :rolleyes:

But I think it would be quite a fun thing to do... So I've started playing the legend of zelda again, and I'm gonna map out the entire overworld and the dungeons and where things are located... :D
Yay fun!

I used to make quite a few levels for Doom - Not anything that ever was provided on the net, but we were a couple of guys who made levels for eachother.
One of my pals were actually very creative - Like when he made a labyrinth-level with changing wall placement. Pretty cool.

He also made a sewer-level, that for some reason had a underground cathedral.

iv done maps for my own game ideas but never a game that is public... does this count....

i tried to make a map of gta before but remake it abit to say it was my idea, but that was years ago.
;)

I`m sure onionfrog means mapping out your progress (like auto mapping in a lot of modern rpg`s), Back in the dark ages of spectrum, C64 etc games there was no such thing as auto mapping.

Anyway, I did try it with a few games, But i wouldn`t say it was easy, Especially multi tiered level games such as Quake or Hired guns (Which was the one i tried to map out :wacko: ) which put me off, Too bloody confusing.

I found that i was spending more time mapping out the game than enjoying it.

Trooper

Back when I was in primary school they had C64s set up there and we had 'computing' lessons once a week (but we mostly played games like the Carmen Sandiego series and other things that had some educational content in them, no matter how slight). But every so often we'd play the good old text adventure games, and we were pretty much FORCED to map them all out. That really turned me off the whole thing (drawing maps and any type of adventure/RPG game) for good.

I think I've drawn up some of my own a couple of times... but I had to REALLY be into the game (no matter what it was) to actually want to do it.

Yep back in the days of the c64 & Amiga bards tale, dungeon masteretc..anything that had a maze. Grided maths books were dead handy back then!

Thank god for auto mapping as it became a pain in the butt to keep track.

trooper posted on May 3 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
I`m sure onionfrog means mapping out your progress (like auto mapping in a lot of modern rpg`s), Back in the dark ages of spectrum, C64 etc games there was no such thing as auto mapping.

Ahhhhh :lol:

Actually I did that too back in the day. Mostly on C64. I recall mapping 'Robin of the Wood'... But I could never be bothered mapping anything for Amiga - I just didn't play that type of games.

I actually did map like that semi-recently. Mostly because I had Mought a Mega Drive, which only had 1 game: "Shining in the Darkness".
For some strange reason I actually began mapping manually, when I played that game.... Although I suppose you could just download it of the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ringo posted on May 4 2005 at 08:27 PM said:
trooper posted on May 3 2005 at 09:00 PM said:

Ahhhhh :lol:

Actually I did that too back in the day. Mostly on C64. I recall mapping 'Robin of the Wood'... But I could never be bothered mapping anything for Amiga - I just didn't play that type of games.

I actually did map like that semi-recently. Mostly because I had Mought a Mega Drive, which only had 1 game: "Shining in the Darkness".
For some strange reason I actually began mapping manually, when I played that game.... Although I suppose you could just download it of the internet.

:blink:

What mapping do you think he (onionfrog) means then ?.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god yeah!! I tried mapping Exile on the Amiga... and also Indy Jones Fate of Atlantis I mapped quite well.. .
oh and Faery Tale I mapped as well.... :lol:

Heh - mapped the whole of a big(ish) platformer for ther Sam Coupe, called Sam Strikes Out. Took bloody ages, adn I never got round to sending it in to a magazine like I meant to. Ah well.

Back