Have you approached Linaro recently?

quartercast

I was wondering if you or Craig have ever tried signing up for a membership with Linaro? They seem to have a lot of experience building Linux distros including Android for ARM SoC devices.

Any idea of the membership fees/costs involved?

http://www.linaro.org/about/

http://www.linaro.or...getting-started

I think I checked them out before and their website has been updated; it seems to have opened up a lot more now, they look very approachable and provide lots of information.

Could this be worth a kickstarter/community funding scheme?

Cheers,

quartercast

Edit: for the benefit of lazy types like me

What does Linaro do?

Linaro is a not-for-profit engineering organization with over 120 engineers working on consolidating and optimizing open source software for the ARM architecture, including the GCC toolchain, the Linux kernel, ARM power management, graphics and multimedia interfaces.

To ensure commecial quality software, Linaro's work includes comprehensive test and validation on member hardware platforms. The full scope of Linaro's engineering work is open to all online. Open engineering has been practised from the start at Linaro with plans, specifications and progress available for inspection on the developer Wiki. Linaro is distribution neutral: it wants to provide the best software foundations to everyone, and to reduce non-differentiating and costly low level fragmentation.

The value of Linaro

Linaro's key value is in working on generic ARM technology that is common to all ARM SoC vendors. In this way engineering costs are shared, rather than each vendor having to implement core software technology themselves, which has resulted in fragmentation and overhead in maintaining code that cannot be upstreamed to the mainline Linux kernel and other open source projects. Linaro's output is used by its members, and by distributions including Android, Ubuntu and OEM/ODM customized versions of Linux. In addition to sharing development costs, Linaro reduces the cost of maintenance for members with its focus on upstreaming into key open source projects including GCC and Kernel.org, and the implementation of standards, such as DeviceTree, which reduce the amount of work involved in bringing up multiple platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, never contacted them, never heard of them before.

It might be an idea for a kickstarter thing, yes, though I'm not sure how well they optimize their distributions.

though I'm not sure how well they optimize their distributions.

My impression from what I've read (which admittedly hasn't been a lot) is that you would still be responsible for maintaining the distribution, but they can help provide software components that are compatible with your hardware.

- Neelix

Looks like they're having a bit of an info session on at the moment.

http://www.linaro.or...-now-available/

I'm really hope OP reach out and connect with Linaro, I think it'll be a growthful step.

Instead of putting money into the 1GHz project I'm happy to put some into the software side of things with a kickstarter or something like it.

Maybe Linaro could even help with the angstrom side of things, freeing up our devs to work on more interesting projects like indie games/emulators.

Any progress on this ED? If not, do you think it would it be appropriate for someone from here to contact Linaro on behalf of the community?

Sure, why not.

So, will anyone put up their hand to do the deed and be the spokesperson?

I don't think that's how it works sepp256, from what I understand Linaro saves time and manpower by provides the resources and assistance to build things like Android, Angrstrom, Ubuntu, etc for ARM devices like the beagleboard. It's a non-profit organisation with a membership structure and support programs.

I don't think that's how it works sepp256, from what I understand Linaro saves time and manpower by provides the resources and assistance to build things like Android, Angrstrom, Ubuntu, etc for ARM devices like the beagleboard. It's a non-profit organisation with a membership structure and support programs.

Well, beagleboard isn't listed as one of their supported devices, and it only shows up in that one issue report. So that is why I am assuming that someone not officially involved with the project just tried to compile their sources for the beagleboard.

Back