Hard act for the pyra to follow??

codifies

Very Active Member
http://www.jxd.hk/products.asp?id=639&selectclassid=009006

While this has a great price point, it has some cons

While there is no valunerable hinge, on the go development is going to be disadvantaged by more than a separate wireless keyboard... (While android development on android is possible - it ain't nice...)

Assuming it can be rooted (and that's quite an assumption) putting Linux on it could be decidedly problematic.

Another difficulty is the unknown area of support, if (when?) It disintegrates can you get spares, and what's the betting replacing the battery could be an interesting experience...,

Is comparing the spec, like comparing apples and pears ?

This is an old device, newer gaming tablets are coming/are out with the new RK3288, like the GPD Q9. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am considering getting a tablet like this (with buttons, analog joysticks, etc.) sometime down the road.

But everything you said about being hard to root, hard to develop with -- to me, that's what separates Pandora/Pyra from anything else at the moment (also nice ports and what not).  You have to pay a little extra to get something you can play around with at the OS level, use SD cards and what not, and I'm willing to do that :) .

So Pyra definitely gets priority over something like this guy.

It's a gaming only handheld, I don't see it or a device that has the same features as a direct competitor to the Pyra, or even the Pandora at the moment.

This is an old device, newer gaming tablets are coming/are out with the new RK3288, like the GPD Q9.
I can't see anything available to buy with this soc? Vapourware? Mind - you could say that about the pyra except I actually trust what Mr Mrozek says...

I know some folks who have this.  It's a good gaming device, nothing more.  It's a bit big and has crappy battery life.

I think I'd rather have a Pyra.

As others have mentioned, if it doesn't have both a keyboard and gaming controls it can't be considered a direct competitor to the Pyra, or even the Pandora.

There are going to be people that want a gaming handheld and something like this is probably good for them: they should get one of those (not necessarily the JXD, but something).

There are going to be people that want a tablet. They should get a tablet.

There are going to be people that want a laptop. They should get a laptop. Or a netbook.

There are going to be people that want the exact feature set that the Pyra has, and because that feature set is not duplicated anywhere they should get a Pyra (or possibly just a second hand Pandora if they need the pocket computer but not necessarily the same power)

Point is, this isn't a "hard act to follow" because they aren't even on the same stage. When some other company releases a product which actually does what the Pandora (and eventually Pyra) can do then we'll talk.

Pyra for me, dont want that JXD thing, its kind of a wannabe vita on android, i dont want a playstation vita either :p

My vita rarely sees the light of day now. It sits sad and lonely in a drawer...Its mostly just bad indie games that get released now.

Ive been playing my Amiga 1200 with whdload and that's totally working for me. I want a pyra for the community side of things, as much as the fact that it will just be plain cool, and I aim to make it my number one portable device.

Why oh why, did I ever sell my 1200 a HD so made that machine complete, could you imagine an Amiga with today's technology I mean a real Amiga not just some machine slapped together with no relationship to real Amiga's...

I can't see anything available to buy with this soc? Vapourware? Mind - you could say that about the pyra except I actually trust what Mr Mrozek says...
The JXD S7800 you mentioned was released in 2013.  It uses the RK3188 SOC that has now been superceded with the RK3288 SOC which has been in products like TV boxes and normal tablets for a while now.  It's also going into gaming tablets like the GPD Q9 which is coming soon. http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-q9-confirmed-is-this-the-only-new-gpd-device-coming-out-or-more-coming/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FXnx7Xzk-a4?feature=oembed

If your interested int he latest gaming tablets and news , check this site:  http://boards.dingoonity.org/index.php#c11

i prefer a device similar to pandora just b/c it's open source software and hardware. i dont like my device being locked down.

If your interested int he latest gaming tablets and news , check this site:  http://boards.dingoonity.org/index.php#c11
Sorry but anyone can post anything on a forum, and fakes on youtube well the *never* happens.... !

If there is a link to buy a product or a credible press release from a manufacturer with a known track record then fair enough, but the ONLY reason I don't consider the Pyra vaporware is because of the good reputation of the producing company

Sorry but anyone can post anything on a forum, and fakes on youtube well the *never* happens.... !

If there is a link to buy a product or a credible press release from a manufacturer with a known track record then fair enough, but the ONLY reason I don't consider the Pyra vaporware is because of the good reputation of the producing company
Perhaps you're a fake person, you never know. :p

Oh noze I haz been found out, illegal operation - openAI segfault entering deep guru meditation...

A real hard act for the Pyra to follow is a train; if you are at the train station and you want to get from Manchester to London, then a train will do that pretty well, but a Pyra won't really do anything useful. Therefore a train is much better than a Pyra. We shouldn't even bother with the Pyra and instead just make trains.

Back