Half Life Running on Pandora! (Xash3d)

Would anyone believe me if I said I have never played Half life? Cannot wait for this :)
you'll be in for a treat if you never played it. I kinda regret all the attention halflife drawn from SiN but it's definately a major game in the history...

Would anyone believe me if I said I have never played Half life? Cannot wait for this :)
you'll be in for a treat if you never played it. I kinda regret all the attention halflife drawn from SiN but it's definately a major game in the history...
I remember being at a LAN party playing SiN for the first time deathmatch, when someone said hey that Half-Life game came out today and I heard it was real good. The entire LAN group of about 15 people all made a push to a local shopping mall and went out and bought it. Don't think we ever did go back to SiN, while I still love it.

*stands up and claps*.... really good news. I played it twice, and twice it locked op during the Xen level. I blame the videocard for that, so maybe emulated... I can once and for all finish it. Well worth it. :D

or, how the Germans say: Super Geil!

My favorite level was the Lambda Core level! 

Parts I hated the most: 

Climbing up the Cliffside on the way to the Lambda Complex

Any of the Jumping Puzzles in Xen

But one of the best games ever made, I can't wait until it's fully available!

Cool stuff, I hope it will run on my old CC Pandora. :)

I've loved HL1 but I never played HL2 because of Steam. And as long as HL2 is dongled with steam (and the only available version in germany is still cencored) I guess I will never been able to play HL2 legaly. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take this as a "this game is actually bad, but the "whole" internet does not see it" kind of question, I am just genuinely interested:

What is all the fuzz about HalfLife (2) ? I played "backup copies" of both games when they came out back in the days, and while they were OK shooters (with the first one actually beeing somewhat boring), they did not spark much interest in me to play them till the end - especially the story did not seem to have any especially interesting aspect that seperated it from the rest of the market - in my opinion.

especially the story did not seem to have any especially interesting aspect that seperated it from the rest of the marke
Half Life 1 was remarkable in that it was able to tell a story without cutscenes at all. and had a whole, continuous world instead of levels. It included a number of innovations as well (the marines' AI script was pretty impressive at the time).

HL2, I kind of agree with you, was not up to the hype. It was an OK game but not as good as the first one (in terms of the competition at that time), in my opinion.  

yes, HL1 was great for that time, most of the game for that time were mindless shooter, HL1 is full of scripted scene that add to the naration. for HL2, honestly I don't see what's good with that one...

For me HL2 was interesting for the flexibility of its engine. I was able to play it on a very low-end DX7 mobility radeon at minimal details at the time. All the other games coming out at the same time wouldn't run on my IBM X31. And yet with a powerfull machine it was an impressive looking game.

The port looks great, I didn't know about this Xash3D engine. Counterstrike should also be possible with the port ?

Counterstrike should also be possible with the port ?
Multipayer is not a priority to xash3d developers  they mention that multiplayer could work but is not tested... on the mod support pov it seems the support is pretty great so it probably boils down to whether the multiplayer is working... I just tried MP using a dedicated server on the local network but: I couldn't see the server in the local server list nor could I connect to it using the "connect <IP>" command... so definitely not at this moment but the answer is maybe later. 

I've never been a huge fan on HL. It was ok, but I didn't find it that much better than other games released at that time (SiN, Shogo on the top of my head).

I'm not a huge fan of HL2 either, but when I think about it, I can't find many singleplayer FPS that are as good...

I've never been a huge fan on HL. It was ok, but I didn't find it that much better than other games released at that time (SiN, Shogo on the top of my head).

I'm not a huge fan of HL2 either, but when I think about it, I can't find many singleplayer FPS that are as good...
well, it was much better than shogo. trough shogo multiplayer was great to all the "cannon" like weapon, the bullgut and the "transformation", but it's rather buggy and the story/scenarii is rather poor.

Sin on the other hand was a great game and was better than HL on some aspect in my opinion. but there's several dozen poor FPS that no one remember from the same era, and with good reason. HL was a great FPS, without doubt...

Back