Half Life Pandora Port

So someone made a Quake level with half-life textures and what added a half-life sound to destructible object.. I still don't see half-life and it's a far cry from just adding the half-life data to a directory and being able to play though the entire game..

I could of done this when I was into level editing back in the late 90's

Last edited by a moderator:
it's a far cry from just adding the half-life data to a directory and being able to play though the entire game..

WHO THE F*** HAS SAID ANYTHING LIKE THAT?!?!?!?! Nobody is denying that it'll take a large amount of modification to the quake code. The only point I'm trying to make is that nobody has been able to prove that it's IMPOSSIBLE.

And how about this? No transparency, but apart from that...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YA9km4aHjzI?feature=oembed

it's a far cry from just adding the half-life data to a directory and being able to play though the entire game..

WHO THE F*** HAS SAID ANYTHING LIKE THAT?!?!?!?! Nobody is denying that it'll take a large amount of modification to the quake code. The only point I'm trying to make is that nobody has been able to prove that it's IMPOSSIBLE.

Well everyone is saying they want that!

Also who said I was saying it was impossible, I've been saying from the start it would be a huge undertaking..

I'm just being a realist.. my guess just getting that one level working that way took hundreds of man hours to do and it still doesn't feel like half-life. Now throw in the other levels and now work in making it more accurate to the real game..

^ No reason to shout...

Is that a port or a remake?

It's a remake..

The SDK does contain the source required for the Half Life specific .dll to be compiled. So, if the full SDK contains the source to the client side gold source engine, then this is doable, which vgui.dll being the main problem. Otherwise, the engine itself needs to be mostly rewritten (I say mostly because the source to the server is there and it SHOULD contain the majority of the gold source engine).
Don't know how can you say vgui (= game menu I think) is the main problem when entire part of the engine that does graphics/input/sounds is missing (I think that used to be in sw.dll/hw.dll + the hl.exe itself).

And don't tell me you can just stick Quake code in there, even if you manage that somehow you won't get anything close to HL. Feel free to prove me wrong (but with actions, not words).

I said that if the SDK doesn't contain the client side gold source engine, then vgui is the biggest problem. vgui is responsible for drawing all menu and HUD related things, I think.

Otherwise, the engine needs to be rewritten.

And I didn't say that you can just "stick Quake code in there", I said that it may help a bit if someone was actually planning to rewrite the gold source engine. Please read my posts more carefully.

it wasnt ari's first post, but impressive sir...not everybody can argue pickle with knowledge

Imagine if his yabause post had been his first post. People were arguing about N64 up until Ari posted but most thought it was possible to run at least some games (Given daedalus' success on PSP), but if you mentioned yabause, people would basically just start laughing.

So, that HL running on the quake engine, that's basically quake three, but with all the HL things. We can't play that on the Pandora? We can play all three quakes...

So, that HL running on the quake engine, that's basically quake three, but with all the HL things. We can't play that on the Pandora? We can play all three quakes...

To summarize things again:

No, not Quake3. Halflife is based on a heavily modified Quake1 engine.

Yes, we can run Quake on Pandora, but the special Stuff, that Valve added to Halflife (about 75% of the original Quakecode were replaced) is not opensource. That includes the renderingcode etc.

It *could* be reimplemented, but that would take really heavy skill and a lot of time. Even then it is not guaranteed, that it will feel and play like the original.

Those videos show attempts to do so.

To summarize things again:

No, not Quake3. Halflife is based on a heavily modified Quake1 engine.

Yes, we can run Quake on Pandora, but the special Stuff, that Valve added to Halflife (about 75% of the original Quakecode were replaced) is not opensource. That includes the renderingcode etc.

It *could* be reimplemented, but that would take really heavy skill and a lot of time. Even then it is not guaranteed, that it will feel and play like the original.

Those videos show attempts to do so.

Ah Poop.

There are modifications to the quake engine to run half life stuff, some of the wiz/caanoo quake ports had support by Rikku2000. The level of support didnt sound too bad. Thats about a good as its going to get.

And whats about this Counter-strike hombrew-made Port for PSP? What did they to get CS on PSP work? And why does the PSP-Homebrew-Team get this work and we not on Pandora?

And whats about this Counter-strike hombrew-made Port for PSP? What did they to get CS on PSP work? And why does the PSP-Homebrew-Team get this work and we not on Pandora?

Nothing saying we couldn't.. But to be clear that isn't Counter-strike.. just a Quake total conversion that just borrows(steals) Half-life/Counter-Strike artwork resources to simulate the sound and feel of Half-life / counterstrike.

It's still not the real thing.

Well we did get quake 3 arena,which was superb to play this game on handheld system,half life can't be done,it's not opensource but doom 3 is going to happen this year,which is great news.

Has anyone made a full half-life game for portable systems? Does anyone know? I know there are a lot of PSP Homebrew games of the sort. Are any of them any good?

This is one of the biggest reasons nothing like this happens:

Younger people such as yourself manly stamp, feel more romantically about your favourite things like I used to be about getting half-life to run on psp and actually tried with a programmer to no avail. The reason we stopped was not because it wasn't coming along really nicely, but because it struck us we were dealing with deadly copyright territory.

There are older more experienced people who have been to territory such as this before and know full well the implications of the work versus the EXTENT of the benefit. Unlike you, we don't care whether or not we get a half baked half-life on the pandora. Sure a full port would be neat, but unless you decide to become a really good developer (probably only to realise how not worth it this is) or the more experienced developers suddenly see life through rose glasses and forget about life's trouble It's VERY, VERY unlikely.

Now the sad thing is this, you remind me of myself only a few years ago. On the other hand I'm getting a degree in interactive entertainment, so working towards new and better games is a bright prospect =]

This is one of the biggest reasons nothing like this happens:

Younger people such as yourself manly stamp, feel more romantically about your favourite things like I used to be about getting half-life to run on psp and actually tried with a programmer to no avail. The reason we stopped was not because it wasn't coming along really nicely, but because it struck us we were dealing with deadly copyright territory.

There are older more experienced people who have been to territory such as this before and know full well the implications of the work versus the EXTENT of the benefit. Unlike you, we don't care whether or not we get a half baked half-life on the pandora. Sure a full port would be neat, but unless you decide to become a really good developer (probably only to realise how not worth it this is) or the more experienced developers suddenly see life through rose glasses and forget about life's trouble It's VERY, VERY unlikely.

Now the sad thing is this, you remind me of myself only a few years ago. On the other hand I'm getting a degree in interactive entertainment, so working towards new and better games is a bright prospect =]

Yeah I guess you're right. I've always loved the Half-Life series, and getting to play it on the Pandora would be an absolute dream, but obviously not a dream that's shared by many others. The sad thing is I'm a professional software developer, but we only do web applications in my company, and I've never had much luck moving onto normal applications and games. I have started learning c++ in the last year or so, but I'm nowhere near capable of a task like that.

Good luck with your degree mate, and by the way, it's Manly STUMP ;)

Yeah I guess you're right. I've always loved the Half-Life series, and getting to play it on the Pandora would be an absolute dream, but obviously not a dream that's shared by many others. The sad thing is I'm a professional software developer, but we only do web applications in my company, and I've never had much luck moving onto normal applications and games. I have started learning c++ in the last year or so, but I'm nowhere near capable of a task like that.

What are you talking about? I think most of us would love to have half-life on the Pandora if it was viable to do.. Without the source code we can't make a real port... Also these Quake engine facsimiles are not really the same and also are treading on being illegal since they use Valve software IP without permission.

What are you talking about? I think most of us would love to have half-life on the Pandora if it was viable to do.. Without the source code we can't make a real port... Also these Quake engine facsimiles are not really the same and also are treading on being illegal since they use Valve software IP without permission.

I guess the difference is I think a "quake engine facsimile" as you put it would be better than nothing, where most others seem to think if its not the exact goldsrc engine it's not worth it. I'm also a little hazy on what's illegal about it. If you don't actually distribute the Half-Life data files with it, you just give people an alternate method of running the files (much like the quake ports we have, don't do anything without the original files copied with it).

I guess the difference is I think a "quake engine facsimile" as you put it would be better than nothing, where most others seem to think if its not the exact goldsrc engine it's not worth it. I'm also a little hazy on what's illegal about it. If you don't actually distribute the Half-Life data files with it, you just give people an alternate method of running the files (much like the quake ports we have, don't do anything without the original files copied with it).

The version that are out there don't include the original files they rip it from the pak files, they don't keep the original files intact.. The use of any artwork (sound, texture, levels and models) from the game without permission of the content owner is illegal.. So for legal purposes some one would have to create all new textures and such. And at that point is it really half-life?

If someone had enough time and energy to reverse engineer to engine to use the original data files.. then great.. but it may a long time to do so.

Back