Half Life 1?

RetiredAccount

Still Fresh
Does any one know if Half Life 1 is open source? Any time I Google it, i just get results for the Source Engine. If it is open source, can the Pandora run it? If not, does anyone know of any similar games that are open source?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could get the Half-Life maps to run though, as there is an open source Quake engine which I forget the name of which can run those maps. You could probably recreate the monsters from Half-Life decently (the marines have some pretty damn good AI though).

Actually now that I think about it someone is doing this for PSP, but I'm afraid that it might be against the board rules to post a link because he included the Half-Life maps with it.

half life 1 i can only see being possible if a dreamcast emulator really gets to a playable speed on pandora.... if so there is a leaked version of hl1

Mutilator said:
half life 1 i can only see being possible if a dreamcast emulator really gets to a playable speed on pandora.... if so there is a leaked version of hl1
I have the leaked version but the load times are HORRENDOUS on the dreamcast, so I can only imagine how long it would take for load times on the Pandora :( . Maybe a last resort if the emulator does happen.

That Quake-Life stuff looks promising, I hope somebody is up to finishing it

with this open gl 2.0, will quake be easier to port ?

That blog post is a bit of a clusterfrack really. :lol:

Here's the essential bit (ED's words):

Craig did a quick post to me that TI published drivers and we got FULL OpenGL working!
It might’ve been that he wanted to tell me that we got the drivers fully working, not that it is in fact OpenGL 2.0 and NOT OpenGL 2.0 ES.

In other words, the final OpenGL 2.0 ES drivers were released, not OpenGL 2.0.

(Pandora hardware supports OpenGL 2.0 ES - these are the drivers we were waiting for. OpenGL 2.0 is for full desktop computers, so it was something of a surprise to see them announced. But it was just a misunderstanding.)

Gruso said:
That blog post is a bit of a clusterfrack really. :lol:

Here's the essential bit (ED's words):

Craig did a quick post to me that TI published drivers and we got FULL OpenGL working!
It might’ve been that he wanted to tell me that we got the drivers fully working, not that it is in fact OpenGL 2.0 and NOT OpenGL 2.0 ES.
In other words, the final OpenGL 2.0 ES drivers were released, not OpenGL 2.0.

(Pandora hardware supports OpenGL 2.0 ES - these are the drivers we were waiting for. OpenGL 2.0 is for full desktop computers, so it was something of a surprise to see them announced. But it was just a misunderstanding.)

:blink: So.....what does that mean for us....in lamans terms please ;)

It means: Everything's fine, don't worry ;)

I don't think any dev thought that he/she would have a standard OpenGL 2.0 driver on Pandora, so everyone is prepared to convert to OpenGL ES, anyway. Full OpenGL would have saved some porting time, though.

BTW the hardware is OpenGL 2.0 capable, just the driver is missing.

mali said:
It means: Everything's fine, don't worry ;)

I don't think any dev thought that he/she would have a standard OpenGL 2.0 driver on Pandora, so everyone is prepared to convert to OpenGL ES, anyway. Full OpenGL would have saved some porting time, though.

BTW the hardware is OpenGL 2.0 capable, just the driver is missing.
To dispel the notion once and for all: any OpenGL 2.0 driver (that exposes the fixed function pipeline) will be just "emulated" via shaders. To get most of the fixed function pipeline back is not exactly difficult - in fact, the book "OpenGL ES 2.0 Programming Guide" has an example of emulating the OpenGL ES 1.1 API using shaders in ES 2.0 (and OpenGL ES 1.1 is based on the fixed-pipeline functionality of OpenGL 2.0 so they are more similar than not).

Why emulated? Because the SGX 530 has no hardware support for anything other than OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.0.1 (it's even stated in the TI docs at http://focus.ti.com/dsp/docs/dspsupporttec...6&Input3=Go ). I suspect where the claim of being "OpenGL 2.0 capable" comes from is the fact that the shaders of the SGX offer functionality beyond that of vanilla OpenGL 2.0, implementing the equivalent of quite a few ARB extensions that were introduced for OpenGL 2.0 or even OpenGL 2.1. An example of this is ES 2.0's standard support for renderbuffer and framebuffer objects.

Back