Votes: 0 0.0%
  • palm pilot

• windowed gui

• other

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Looking up at RUBE. Why not make a Rubix cube for a gui? i think it would be simple and very awesome to use.
One could say have 6 sides. 1 for Emulators. 1 for basic Apps. 1 for settings. 1 for entertainment. 1 for Homebrew/ Commercial games(If we Get any! so don't go breathing down my neck. i very well know that no third party software development company is likely to take any interest in Pandora)1 for development software such as compilers, music creation, Editors. 1 for Directories and Misc. Everytime you get more Apps/whatever the box can expand not to show 9 icons but 16 or 25 or whatever is needed. The only draw back to this scheme would be that you have to be very organized or you might have too many Icons. Especially under directories and misc. I think it would fit perfectly to Pandora, and it could be called [Pandora's Box GUI] or something.

Anybody feel like coding this monster of a GUI? I'm just the idea Man. i wish i could code however. I have basic C++ as one of my classes next year so maybe I'll be able to contribute here soon.

Add on> Oooo Wait... One of the first games shipped with Pandora should be a rubix cube game that utilizes the touch screen

Exarus said:
Anybody feel like coding this monster of a GUI?
If compiz gets ported, making something like this would be nothing more than adding a compiz plugin.
I'd much rather have something more lightweight like Qt4 or EFL (enlightenment).

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be great. although I don't see how I could create my Rubix cube of doom with compiz. as far as I have seen compiz in use on my friends computer. it adds effects to the desktop. i want it to look just like a rubix cube not a desktop with a rubixs cube that plugs in when I hit a keystroke or something. I don't know the capabilities of compiz I guess. soory about my noobishness

Exarus said:
That would be great. although I don't see how I could create my Rubix cube of doom with compiz. as far as I have seen compiz in use on my friends computer. it adds effects to the desktop. i want it to look just like a rubix cube not a desktop with a rubixs cube that plugs in when I hit a keystroke or something. I don't know the capabilities of compiz I guess. soory about my noobishness
It's VERY flexible. It draws the entire desktop in OpenGL so the desktop is somewhat an effect itself (not really, but you get the point). Making it display a custom desktop on the faces of a rubix cube shouldn't be to hard.

The hard part would be actually porting compiz to OpenGL ES 2.0

sindbad said:
I personally think that Enlightenment would work great. It's lightning fast, droolingly good-looking and it uses tiny amounts of ram. The only things to do would be a little customization for the resolution on the part of fonts and default widget/window sizes and adding a few modules specific to the pandora.
I mentioned using Enlightenment a long time ago, but it didn't get much notice. It would work very well (for the reasons in the quote), and we could even just use the Enlightenment libraries if we didn't want the windowing desktop. All of the menus (applications, configuration, etc.) can be accessed by clicking on the desktop or holding down a modifier key while clicking on the desktop - a good way of taking advantage of the touch screen. We could even just use E17 and include a module that would switch to the EeePc's "Simple Mode" equivalent (GMenu2X style).

I will drag out the source and take a look at a linux port of the rube this weekend, don't want it to delay my current games release but I've always wanted to, thought it might find a niche someday. Heres to never throwing out anything. With luck there might even be a machine I can run it on out in the garage and get a screenshot of the original.

In my short travel home, I've already been brewing a really interesting concept for a really useful and flexible UI, based around Stacks (baskets, boxes (Pandora's Box)), and widgets. It will be mostly if not completely widget based, and used with either buttons or touchscreen.

This will cater for both novice and expert users, as you will have a default layout and have the ability to very easily and organically customize it.

New apps could be dropped in and offer to install is own stack setup with it's layout of little widgets, or give you more standard options. It will be very easy to add them from the filebrowser, or have floating stacks, that you can just add apps or widgets to (or drag them over).

The whole OS could be built with this in mind, and offer all API calls for the widgets to interface with.

The full setup could also be exported and shared with anyone else, packing the widgets along with it.

This is all just brewing, and I have sketches for a lot of little ideas already, I'll be laying this to a more physical form and post it when I feel it has some consistency worth sharing.

EDIT: It's already got a name, "Anesidora"... google it to know why.

Hmm Learn something new everyday. Yea my friend had just got a anew computer stripped it of vista and loaded Ubuntu on it. Didn't even start up vista bless his soul. anyway first thing he loaded as an add on was compiz and it took us about 5 hours to get it working right. I never learned all of it's capabilities because my IBM with Kubuntu won't log me on as of last month :( plus i don't think my graphics card could handle ANYTHING. It had problems with SNES9X (Back when it was Windows 2000) and that is saying something.
I'm just so glad that pandora is more likely to run cool effects than my IBM was

alfatreze said:
I was also wondering if the maemo platform could be ported with any relative ease to the Pandora Architecture. I would assume so, wich would be really quite interesting.

http://maemo.org/intro/

With some additional drivers and eventually hacks, you should be able to use the normal IT OS 2008. Omap 2 and 3 are compatible.

Vorporeal said:
sindbad said:
I personally think that Enlightenment would work great. It's lightning fast, droolingly good-looking and it uses tiny amounts of ram. The only things to do would be a little customization for the resolution on the part of fonts and default widget/window sizes and adding a few modules specific to the pandora.
I mentioned using Enlightenment a long time ago, but it didn't get much notice. It would work very well (for the reasons in the quote), and we could even just use the Enlightenment libraries if we didn't want the windowing desktop. All of the menus (applications, configuration, etc.) can be accessed by clicking on the desktop or holding down a modifier key while clicking on the desktop - a good way of taking advantage of the touch screen. We could even just use E17 and include a module that would switch to the EeePc's "Simple Mode" equivalent (GMenu2X style).

I find this concept very exciting. E rules!

While I don't like the way the UI works, E17 does appear to have a set of powerful yet fast graphical libraries.

Back