• windowed gui

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ashadocat

If we don't have an GUI yet I have a few suggestions
option 1

A psp gpx style Gui. I think moblin gpx is doing something like this.
h1126.jpg

option 2
A palm pilot styled Gui. I think palm pilot is doing something like this...
palm.jpeg

option 3
A window styled gui. I think everyone is doing something like this
windowed.jpeg

THIS IS NOT OTHER
With a wide screen having the window border on the top will take up a lot of screen real estate. so I suggest we mount the window borders vertically. it would be a good idea to be able to switch the application orientation so > way is up.
windowed,widescreen.jpg

Option 4
it's too late to talk about this. i'll add something when I wake up. otherwise i'll make a fool of myself
pan.jpg

I've been using a Palm for ages, so I'm obviously a bit biased, but it is still a great format to use for smaller screens, and allows for quick-n-easy access to as many applications as once in an organized format.

However, I'd want Option 3 or 4 to be available for X applications that want a windowing system. Really, now that I think about it, I'm not sure how X will fit into Pandora officially unless they really plan it out and get a GUI running using some ports.

Alright. everyone seems to want Both a Windowed GUI and more of a PSP/ palm look. So why not make an Icon that would switch them. make it noticeable. Mount it to the Bottom Left Right by the Menu/ Start button. and have it on the other GUI as an Icon? Have it so you could download "Skins" and have what ever GUI you want. I'm betting this would require clever programming and space on your SD card or whatever you use but hey it would get rid of people wishing and dreaming

BTW I like your side panel mode for windows

I'm going to make another GUI concept based on feedback I got from last time.

If you have any other gui ideas let me know and i'll add them to the first post. to clarify there is no option 4, the 4rth part was just my suggestion on how we could manage screen real estate on a wide screen device. If you voted for other but meant 3, please post that here. we don't want any unclear votes. sorry about making it so vague. I didn't mean to make antine waste their vote on other.

I don't want exactly like the psp has, I want something not completely dissimilar. I think the gp2x had something like this but I'm not sure. can any one clarify this for me?
I'll replace option 1 with a new image to show how different it would be

You should also put an option for Gmenu2X style too. I guess that is kind of Palm style.

I picked Palm as the other styles are very cumbersome to navigate quickly. The PSP style is flashy but slow to navigate as it uses screen space poorly. Filling the screen with one big icon, then making you scroll one by one sequentially is tedious at best if you have alot of apps.

Windowing interfaces are good for desktops but are a pain to use on a mobile device. Many times you will use a handheld one handed to quickly get to an app. You don't want to be clicking through windows and resizing and dragging etc to get to what you need.

the gp2x still has many different icons each with a sub menu. thats what I was trying to show. sorry I'm a bit of a noob hand don't own a gp2x or a psp. I fixed it. when I meant palm style I meant each app has it's own Icon.
I seem to be creating a lot of confusing around this. If you tell me what new gui's to add and anywhere I can clarify, I will. i'll probably make a new pole and post once we get all the kinks worked out in this one.

with the gp2x it seems to have a lot of categories (like photo's) I'd assume that each catagory has the actual apps beneath them.

sorry, sleepy. will fix tommorrow

I agree a lot with you Dave, but to me if its not windowed its not substantial enough (well for me at least). In my opinion, I kind of like the portable desktop feel. Using a stylus isn't too bothersome, for that matter I like using one. The palm interface is great except I feel like their is no way to multitask.

I always liked the tabbed interface, and it would work good with buttons or the touchscreen
pan.jpg

now that i think about it, it is a bit like gmenu2x,

I like Exarus's idea of being able to change it (windowed, pda, tabbed, list etc.) but instead of having to download it, it should be built in.

I just hope the default UI is good. And by good I mean, better than GMenu2x, I mean fucking damn good i'll never need to faff around changing it to something third-party and 'better' because no freelance coder could ever make something as good as this holy grail of ui's.

Paradox said:
I just hope the default UI is good. And by good I mean, better than GMenu2x, I mean fucking damn good i'll never need to faff around changing it to something third-party and 'better' because no freelance coder could ever make something as good as this holy grail of ui's.
So you 'just' hope the UI is the holy grail of UIs?

Nothing like high standards ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, I hope that GMenu2X is getting extended for Pandora support. Ryo did amazing work in creating a very usable menu system. So ideally I'd like it to be this or similar.

But basically something that is simple to launch programs, with multi-tasking support. And maybe an "advanced" option which let's you poke about with things a bit more.

Jonttu said:
I agree a lot with you Dave, but to me if its not windowed its not substantial enough (well for me at least). In my opinion, I kind of like the portable desktop feel. Using a stylus isn't too bothersome, for that matter I like using one. The palm interface is great except I feel like their is no way to multitask.
Why would a palm interface rule out multitasking or a 'windowed' system? It's basicly the equivalent of a desktop covered with icons (plus some tabs). Just because palm or gmenu2x don't open programs in a windowed mode doesn't mean they couldn't.

Tabbing + icons (palm/gmenu2x) are faster than scrolling through long lists or start-menu's (basicly a fancy fold-out list) and for those who prefer lists you could use small icons and a listview.

On my computers I prefer an uncluttered desktop with just a few icons but on a handheld I really don't want to have to use a start-menu: a palm-interface can be controlled with buttons and a stylus perfectly but to me a start-menu only feels right when using a mouse or stylus.

A tabbed interface is best, but anything that will allow you to simply select an installed game is fine for the default UI.

I would warn against a "windowed" interface, though. The screen is just too small to effectively use multiple windows. Since you won't be able to use multiple windows, why have them at all?

Jonttu said:
Yes but remember this is a HANDHELD device not a laptop or desktop PC, it is more like a PDA. Imagine you are in a busy environment or are walking somewhere and you want to check something. It is much more practical to pull it out and navigate to the wanted app quickly with the d-pad or analog and start it. It would be cumbersome to fumble around with the stylus and open and slide around and resize windows to get what you need.

We are talking about what is default. There is always an option to install/launch a more PC like environment but I don't think that should be standard.

I'm not sure that a windowed GUI is so impractical. I recall using one at 640 x 480 back in the day, and didn't have any problems with it at the time.

Regardless though, we have these analog nubs - why not a tabbed version of the Zodiac interface? That gives quick, mouseless control while still allowing space for a directory heirarchy. As far as tabbed, palm-like interfaces go, that seems the most practical for the Pandora.

Despite that, I voted for windowed. I have had some problems with the Zodiac interface... I'm not going to try to enumerate them here, it's mainly just that its never felt natural to me.

Back