Gravity Force Port... Would Be Awesome!

Happy birthday but no present for you :(

The menus are basically there. The data files are a nightmare.

The command line tool extracted the images but the colour maps got screwed (even when I specified the palette).

I've ended up having to use grabber and for each image export it, resize it, load it, grab it.

My problem now is the fonts, there are 10 and 14 point fonts made from ttf fonts converted to pcx images.

There is a program ttf2pcx but I haven't managed to get it to produce good results, I have to manually edit the images so it's slow going.

I've just got 10 pt fonts at the moment - still looks ok (maybe better) but not the same as the original.

I'll add a screen shot this evening

Hehe, that's all I wanted to hear! Seems like it's coming along slowly but nicely. Too bad that the datafiles are giving you a hard time. I am excited for that screenshot.

No worries. If you got something functional btw... I would be glad to be beta-testing if you think it's ready for that.

Reminds me a lot of a genesis game called "Subterrania", I think its a more modern take on the game.

This is what wikipedia had to say about it..

The game places the player in control of a spacecraft in a side-on 2D environment. Players had to complete mission objectives to pass levels. The player had to fight aliens and gravity in order to rescue the miners, pick up parts for his spacecraft and defeat certain bosses in order to beat the game. A particularly challenging aspect of the gameplay was the dependence on the supply of fuel, which were scattered throughout a level.

This is an interesting update to the genre of games pioneered by the computer game Thrust.

~Fox

Hello Fox thank you for the information about sub-terrania. It's a very good game but it doesn't have the same feel especially on the gravity part. There is also Solar Jetman for nes.

I started on the training mode - more problems.

There are loads of images to resize, which from grabber is a tedious job.

Some objects are only 2x3 pixels to begin with so it might be better to leave them unchanged.

Each mode seems to be coded separately, with hard-coded positions, even though the layouts are similar.

I couldn't just halve the text size, it's unreadable so I'm having to reposition the text.

This is the most tedious port, needing the most work, I have ever done - I'm just plodding through, but I'll get there in the end.

Allow me to add one more to the list of praises :D I especially enjoy your port of LiquidWar, you managed to get a demanding game working at a very decent speed. Heroes and Freedroid also have a permanent place on my games SD :)

Thanks for all your hard work!

That's what I was saying earlier too! ParkyDr and Alex should both be gurus for their massive contribution to gp2x homebrew...

I was trying to think of a rhyme involving the words guru parkyde and alex. Nothing came but congrats.

I played the gp32 gravity force game alot and something similar would tickle my fancy <-thats such a weird phrase.

greenmikey said:
I was trying to think of a rhyme involving the words guru parkyde and alex. Nothing came but congrats.
Thanks for trying :)

I played the gp32 gravity force game alot and something similar would tickle my fancy <-thats such a weird phrase.

Might be possible, there are some devices that could be attached to the USB port that can do that ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
greenmikey said:
I played the gp32 gravity force game alot and something similar would tickle my fanny <-thats such a weird phrase.
:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for being a nag... but is there any news on the port? This really got me excited aswell as the new cavestory port. It would be great to have gravity force fully ported!

Most of the single player modes are basically working - the shield icon isn't right in race mode (it's right in training and mission!).

The options menu is resized, just trying to get the control definition to work.

Fixed some bugs with the original game -
English/German and Slovak languages are available (English was reported as Slovak) .
Multi-line start of mission text wasn't displayed.

TO DO:
Fix shield icon in race mode.
Get control definition in work.
Fix another bug with the original - the volume only affects the menu not the game.
Implement volume control via GP2X buttons
Name entry on the high score table.
Code entry.
Might need to fiddle with the fonts - some of the codes are hard to read.

I haven't touched multiplayer - I may just hide the options for at least the first release.

xnopasaranx: Look out for a PM later ;)

Back