Gravity Force

Swiss_Cheeseman

SwissCM
Most of you most probably know the game "Thrust", available on many platforms. It's a basic game where you guide a small ship around a cave, and pick up cargo to deliver to your home base. Gravity Force is a clone of thrust, originally available on the Amiga, ported by David Douglas. There are many different versions available, on many different emulators. So what makes it superior to the others?

Graphics:
A full resolution of 320x240 is available, but the graphics are very basic, they are tile based, and aren't very colourful. However, they do the job. Having a very large viewpoint on the gameworld is crucial in these types of games, so the large resolution of the GP32 is ideal. Overall, they are functional, but far from cutting edge.

6/10

Sound:
Below average. All you hear during the game is the ships thrust, which is an annoying static sound, and distorted laser shooting sounds. There is also a catchy, but annoying sound at the main menu. Needs music in-game, and much better sound effects.

3/10

Gameplay:
I've been rather harsh on this game so far, but to be honest, the game really holds up gameplay wise. This is a simple game to play on a short trip on the bus, I wont hold that against it. To its merit is has the most fun physics I have ever used in these types of games. I don't care if it's realistic or not, I care if it's fun or not. A big problem with a lot of thrust games is how unforgiving the physics system is. Gravity Force gets the balance just right. Shooting is a breeze, as is landing, and general movement.

8/10

Lastability:
Depends on how much you like these kinds of games. There is 9 levels, unfortunately no level editor, there hasnt been an update in yonks, but the size of the game is tiny, around 800KB, and its a great little time waster. If you have a 128MB SMC, you may as well put it on there. Tip: To skip levels, press L+R+Select.

8/10

Overall:
It's a fun little game, with average graphics and crappy sound. It's pretty addictive, but theres only 9 levels. Why choose this over the other emulated versions? Accessability, to run it on an emulator, you have to open up an emulator, load the rom, and most likely adjust a few seconds to get it working optimally. Since Gravity Force is a native program, it will load pretty much instantly. Is it worth having on your SMC? I suppose so, try it out, see if you like it, and play it on short trips when you're bored.

Download: HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
[..]
Members comments to rewievs are very welcome but only regarding given review e.g. you want to add some more info or give you feelings about a rewieved program (but not "Yeah its cool" or "It sucks" type). Off topic commments or "Its not working on my Gp32" (Help and support forum is for such a things) comments will be deleted without warning.
[..]

I have had my GP32 a few days now and tried tonnes of games on it. This is honestly one of the ones I like the most. This is a pretty fair review and it's true about the physics in this game - as long as you have your thruster vertical as it descents (so it doesn't land on a 'fin') it's very forgiving and you can land at full velocity, I think. The sound is very basic but I think that's in the spirit of the original games it's simulating :) Either way, it's definitely staying on my SMC.

Does anyone know if this will ever be updated with more levels etc?

Back