Gpx2 Slashdotted

Sweet, This could potentially be a good thing, let's hope the people who live in fear and bias of other systems for some weird crusader-like reason don't post a string of misinformation.

Excuse the language, But that is one f*cked up thread to follow, So much so, I didn`t even bother. Are all slash dot threads like that. :blink:

Oh, And Yeah!, It does look like it will be full of uninformed morons too, As they have already started to invade. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Hmm dunno, Looks like it's kept civil so far except for 3 statements.

1: "WHO CARES IF A BULLSHIT MEDIA PLAYER RUNS LINUX?" and he got replied to with "You're on the wrong site then."

2: "Something about aspect ratios and how converting movies to 320x240 would squash them" Which isn't really true, not -everyone- rips the widescreen versions of movies, and even if I did, I could fit it on the screen just fine sans squashing.

3: "just a general linux insult, not really aimed at anything"

Well, They have only just started to invade, Early days yet.

Oh, And i sooo much wanted to reply to the last poster (the one that said "what does the GPX2 offer that the PSP doesn't?") But couldn`t find the reply button, Or be arsed to sign up.

Trooper

trooper posted on Aug 1 2005 at 12:32 AM said:

Oh, And i sooo much wanted to reply to the last poster (the one that said "what does the GPX2 offer that the PSP doesn't?") But couldn`t find the reply button, Or be arsed to sign up.

Trooper

what would you reply? he/she is right

Last edited by a moderator:
Angel posted on Aug 1 2005 at 03:18 AM said:

Trooper

That depends on whether you read their entire post or not, And not just going with my brief quote of their post.

Trooper

Enslaved posted on Jul 31 2005 at 10:50 PM said:
Prepare for the morons.

And the linux geeks.

Angel posted on Jul 31 2005 at 09:18 PM said:

Trooper

Aside from the Homebrew that gets horked everytime a new forimware upgrade appears? I have a PSP and while the pre 1.5 homebrew is just starting to really look cool to me I'm not going to sacrifice playing future official/commercial games for it just to play a half speed emmulation now and then. Also there the fact that the X2 will play three times as many codecs as the PSP.

I've encoded widescreen movies for the GP32 and I find nothing wrong with it, yeah it's nice to be able to stretch a small PSP video to full screen but it's not like the GP32s screen is that much more "tiny".

yeah^^ exactly. the psp's dpad and 16:9 screen also make it a bit suckier for emulation.

and yeah, a 4" 640x480 screen would be PERFECT for the gpx2..wouldn't hurt emulation(right?), and since it can playback high res videos, this display would be very useful for that.

all the pmps out there with vga res screens are waaaay too expensive.
how much more would you guys pay for a vga screen on the gpx2? i would pay $300 at the most, since any vga pmp is far more expensive

edit:
n/m
looks like 640x480 ~4" panels have a really high response time. this'll just have to remain a dream..for now

junker posted on Aug 1 2005 at 07:48 AM said:
and yeah, a 4" 640x480 screen would be PERFECT for the gpx2..wouldn't hurt emulation(right?)

I'm not sure whether it's the same, but in computers when you have game at 2x bigger resolution, it mean 4x more surface and so more cpu power is needed. So I think the same handheld with higher resolution need better hardware to get same framerates on both.

Eso Rimmer posted on Aug 1 2005 at 01:09 PM said:
junker posted on Aug 1 2005 at 07:48 AM said:
and yeah, a 4" 640x480 screen would be PERFECT for the gpx2..wouldn't hurt emulation(right?)

I'm not sure whether it's the same, but in computers when you have game at 2x bigger resolution, it mean 4x more surface and so more cpu power is needed. So I think the same handheld with higher resolution need better hardware to get same framerates on both.

It doesn't work like that as with most 320 x 240 ports and emulators you would just have a tiny bit of code to plot 4 pixels rather than 1 so the screen would display like a 320 x 240. Think of it like running doom3 on your PC. Your nice shiny flat screen 1280 x 768 screen is way to high res for doom3 so you lower it so your gfx card can cope maybe all the way down to 640 x 480. Result? much more FPS even though you are still technically displaying 1280 x 768 not just a 640 x 480 window. Homebrew on the other hand tends to need less processing power so could probably take full advantage of the high res screen.

Back