Gpsp (dynarec) Beta Testing

No I was activly playing... btw it was with a buffer or 512 or 1024

Can somone try it ?

paxl13

wiseguy109 posted on Mar 10 2007 at 05:11 PM said:
I don't have a PSP, so can anyone tell me if GBA emulation on GP2X has surpassed GBA emulation on the PSP?

From what I've seen of GBA emulation on PSPs that mates have shown me, we're probably just out in front, but it's a pretty close thing. At the rate we're going though, we'll be way out in front by monday.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finaly after multiple test, It may be my rom but unlikley. So without overclocking, Zelda Minish Cap (U) lock down after some time, there is nothing output on the console so.. I don't know what is going on. Final Fnatasy Tactic advance do it for me when I dont touch to anything.

Hope this bug report can be usefull, awaiting for the next release, will probably re-donate
soonly since this is so much good !

Thanks you ZodTTD for the great job you do ! Without the locking the emu is currently AWESOME !

paxl13

PSP.

However, this emulator seems to have progressed in leaps since the closed beta test started.
Zod seems very skilled so I have every confidence that we'll get an equally good if not better emu when this is done.

PS Sam Fisher, I watched some of your latest videos, they're looking great. Much improved speed and much better sound.compared to the videos made with some of the older versions of the beta, I am (and I'm sure many others are) very impressed with the rate of progress!

sam fisher posted on Mar 10 2007 at 06:18 PM said:
This or PSP?

The PSP. I have the PSP version and it is fullspeed, with sound, FS0 and no stuttering sound. It is much better than the GP2X version right now. If Zod doesn't burn out and continues I would imagine the GP2X can get close. There is alot of room for optimisation on the GP2X now. I don't even think the Gp2X ARM is being run natively. I think the emu is emulating a GBA ARM in software on the GP2X ARM. If some native code was run and some ASM added it should get close to fullspeed with no stuttery sound at a reasonable overclock like 220-240 I would think.

This is really odd; In the latest version 0690 - Metroid - Fusion (U) now has a large amount of lag, And the sound barely works.
Before it played perfect.

I tried starting a new game, Didn't help.
I'll try deleting my config file for the game.

Anybody want to try out Mertoid Fusion and see if you get the same thing?

-Arch

Dark.Warlock posted on Mar 10 2007 at 06:41 PM said:
This is really odd; In the latest version 0690 - Metroid - Fusion (U) now has a large amount of lag, And the sound barely works.

-Arch
Zero mission is running pretty much fullspeed on auto frameskip 1. Video coming soon.

sam fisher posted on Mar 10 2007 at 10:18 AM said:
This or PSP?
Our screen +1, compatability, finish and polish -3

For a beta it is grand, DaveC is right, if he keeps it up we could have a "perfect" emu by Monday :D.

Dark Warlock: I'll look into this, but I havent noticed any such lag.

DaveC: From what others have reported to me on those games, it seems either somethings strangely wrong or you're very precise with timing. Have you tried any other games? Basically what I'd like to know is if there's any game that will run perfect for you currently? For example, something like PacMan Collection or Chu Chu Rocket. If these are not currently perfect, there will be nothing to come close to your expectation. :(

Though I can say quite confidently fullspeed GBA using a low autoframeskip (3 or 4 always works smoothly for me but should work with less soon) and no overclocking is quite obtainable within a reasonable time. :) ...I still have A LOT of optimizing to the dynarec available to me. I'm taking it step by step. I spent most this day trying to improve compatibility before continuing further, but I may have to switch tactics as this bug seems to be hard to track down. The bug is probably why games like Mario Golf and Golden Sun series don't currently work.

Please be careful with your words in this case DaveC, as there's little basis for you to go by to state future performance of gpSP2X.

Things I can get done within a matter of days to greatly increase framerate:
Dynarec - Static Register Allocation
Decrease the amount of outputted code to the dynarec's translation cache by reducing some of the more "bloated" routines I have currently. They're done such a way to make sure I know it will work, and not for performance.
I could, if it helps, write custom assembly for some of the blitting routines.
I can also optimize the currently written assembly that the dynarec calls, which is a bit bloated.

From there I can judge what performance increased and see where to go next. The first static register alloc. idea will give the most performance most surely.

There will be games that run slower than others, for now, report the games that run slow and move to another if you can. There are plenty of games that run smoothly with clean sound at 240MHz overclock and less, some being more intensive such as Super Mario Advance, Sonic Advance 2, and more. If you find that a game is running oddly slow, check what header game_name and game_code is in the rom. I detailed how to do this in this thread, search for: game_config.txt game_name game_code

Dark.Warlock posted on Mar 10 2007 at 07:41 PM said:

-Arch

Works just fine here.

I'm causing crashes on various games that did work stable before. Harvest Moon and FF4 both freeze mere minutes into the game. I can't get through FF4's intro, it freezes around the time you enter mysidia crystal room.

I thought it might be system clock, lowered things down to 210 mhz, same problem.

I know my GP2X is capable of handling more than 210 :3

Maybe it's the RAM timings or something messed up with your SD filesystem? (The latter happend quite often already to me, especially when useing the GP2X with USB to write data on the SD :( )

Back