Gpsp (dynarec) Beta Testing

I might include a decent fps counter in the upper right corner and let it be turned on and off via an already keymapped volume up. This will be temporary but quite useful.

gpSP2X Private Beta v9004 is out. If you need help getting this version just PM me.

New in v9004 since v9003b:
- Added a good FPS counter. Every second in the upper left corner the FPS will be displayed quickly.
- Added a better usage of the MMU patch module.

Notes:
If you are upgrading from v9003b: Just overwrite gpsp.gpe
If you are upgrading from any other version: Start from scratch when updating.

*** IF YOU GET A 5 SECOND PAUSE WHEN STARTING UP gpSP2X OR WHEN SWITCHING RESOLUTIONS YOUR MMUHACK MODULE ISN'T LOADING PROPERLY! ***
*** IF THIS OCCURS PLEASE LET ME KNOW! ***

Let's get some reports of FPS.
Here's my first report, follow this format if possible:
Game: Mario Kart Super Circuit (U)
Version: 9004
Overclock: 260
RAM Timings: Not set
Frameskip: Manual 1
FPS - Startup/Menu's: 60
FPS - In-Game: 43
Notes: This is on firmware 3.0.0

Thanks everyone! :)

Very good FPS in Mario Kart Zodttd!
What about sound in Mario Kart?

I just put the new version on but I see no FPS counter :S And the binary looks the same as the v0.9003b version :S Also I get a pause before the CPU selector boots up after loading. Probably closer to 3 seconds than 5 though.

First observation: Automatic frameskip, like mentioned to me earlier, is NOT working. Implementing it now, must not be activating properly. :p This should help!

IF YOU GET A 3-5 SECOND PAUSE ON LOAD YOU MUST HAVE mmuhack.o IN THE SAME DIRECTORY AS GPSP.GPE OR MMUHACK WILL NOT BE LOADED RESULTING IN SLOWER PERFORMANCE!

Also be sure to change the URL when getting v9004 from v900xx to v9004.
You will know if you have v9004 by looking at the version in the cpuspeed selection menu.

Infact inside the v0.9004 folder is a folder called "gpsp_v9003" :S And i don't see the FPS quickly appear or at all :S

Edit: Zodttd, the version in the v0.9004 archive is "v0.9003" according to the CPU selector. You may want to put the new executable in the archive instead :p

I must of copied the wrong folder :p
Fixing. But adding autoframeskip for v9004b so I'll just get v9004b out. :)

OK, EVERYONE PLEASE UPDATE TO: v9004b

New in v9004b:
- Added AUTOFRAMESKIP!
- Added FPS counter that displayed in the upper left hand corner every second
- Added proper implementation of MMUHACK

If upgrading from any previous version:
- Overwrite gpsp.gpe and gpsp.cfg with the supplied ones from v9004b
- The default global settings (not per-game settings which can differ) are AUTO FRAMESKIP with a FRAMESKIP VALUE of 4 (4 being the max to frameskip!) and AUDIO BUFFER of 512

TESTERS:
Please try out autoframeskip with a value of 1 to 4. Going over 4 seems to slow things down too much but feel free to try it.
Once you have a good autoframeskip value that reports the best framerate, please try different audio buffer settings. Remember YOU MUST exit gpSP2X and start it again for the audio buffer to take effect. Please let me know if autoframeskip and certain audio buffers help performance!

Thanks!

I have a GBA SP with ROM cart, but this is still interesting to follow. I just finished Final Fantasy I with level 99 characters! General Zod, you are doing great work.

Kneel-Before-Zod.jpg

Just had a change to try v.9004b... SO much faster. Rayman feels full speed now (if at very high frameskip), and same Metroid Zero. Right got to dash - see you all in just over a week :D

My batteries just ran out, however before htat happened I managed to ocnfirm a big increase in speed. Pokemon Emerald Version (U) works at 60fps ingame, as far as I can see, with auto frameskip set to 1. Does this mean it'll try to stick at 30fps, even when it shows 60. Or it will skip at most 1 frame, meaning as low as it can go is 30fps?

Heh thanks for the compliment.

Who will be the first to post a video of v9004b in action? :p

In pokemon emerald, in all the versions of Gpsp, it seems that the sound lags behind :S. AKA. even if I switch to loading up mariokart, then it carries on playing the pokemon emerald sound for a while :S

Back