Benefactor

FlowNeppets

Still Fresh
Hi there!

This is my first review. Excuse my non perfect english skills.

Benefactor was in my opinion one of the most underrated games in Amiga history. I remember that it received only rates around 70-75% in most magazines and wasn't actualy a big hit. The more i was surprised when i motivated myself to play the first few levels and realised what a fantastic game it was. Benefactor was simply addictive and very well done.

I recently remembered that wonderful game and uploaded it on my gp2x. It is good playable with uae4all although it runs not 100% smooth. The missing savestates in uae4all are no problem since you receive a code for every level that you manage to finish which you can use via the virtual keyboard the next time you play the game.

Benefactor is a mix of a platform and a puzzle/thinking game. You control the main character Ben E. Factor whose job is to save a number of cute aliens in each level which have been kidnapped from their home planet.

To save them you have to find keys, use different machines or switches and find out a good strategy for each level. You need skills in both, the platform jumping and puzzeling to reach the next level. Your character is able to do some tricks like rolls, jumps, sprints, climbs etc. This part can be compared to games like Prince of Persia or Another World or Flashback. The puzzeling part comes closest to a game like Lemmings. (the little aliens often help you and you have to use their help strategicaly)

The game can be frustrating sometimes but at the same time its very motivating. It is one of the games where you think "ok, one last try before i go to bed" and then you find yourself still playing the game two hours later.

Your character and everything in the game is tiny. It has the advantage that you always have a good overview and can think about your strategy. You have to get used to it tho when you haven't played the game before. The gfx are good but nothing special, same goes for the sound.

I will not rate things like gfx and sound since this is rather pointless after so many years. But i will rate the game itself and give it a:

8.5/10

I seriously recommend this game.

Screenshots:

Benefactor_a.GIF

Benefactor.GIF

ben2.png

ben1.png

Well it is very good but... it is totaly impossible to get hold of a copy of this game!

How do i acctually start a game in that Amiga emulation? the screen just gets all white and i can get a mouse keyboard but cant start anything.

X-Code posted on Aug 4 2006 at 04:21 PM said:
Hmm, you need the kickstart rom ( kick.rom ), after that you only need to select the ADF file that you want to run ( If I remember well ) :) .
I do have the kick.rom.. but still nothing...
hmmm "adf" you say... i only have three "ipf" files...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you have a bad version of either the rom or the emu :) , all you need to do is load the image and select the restart option in the emulator menu. The kick rom needs to be in the same folder that the emu sits in , and the games can be anywhere but are better in the roms folder... I have no problem with that setup here :) .

X-Code posted on Aug 4 2006 at 04:35 PM said:
Maybe you have a bad version of either the rom or the emu :) , all you need to do is load the image and select the restart option in the emulator menu. The kick rom needs to be in the same folder that the emu sits in , and the games can be anywhere but are better in the roms folder... I have no problem with that setup here :) .
Okej the only thing that happends when i do that is i get the classic amiga loggo together with the diskett going in to the diskettereader!
Probably somthing wrong with the rom file.

Missed that IPF file format part lol, I don't know it and I don't know if uae4all can use it :) , search for ADF and abandoneware on google, you should be able to find a game to try.

I think that your ROM file is ok if it gets that far :).

Okej i tried another rom and that one is working... something wrong with my Benefactor...
What files should go in the roms folder together with the 3 Benefactor_Disk1.ipf, Benefactor_Disk2.ipf, Benefactor_Disk3.ipf files?

X-Code posted on Aug 4 2006 at 04:48 PM said:
No other files as far as I know, but again, I don't know if IPF is supported in the first place :).
It isn't.

You can get the ADF files using google.

Back