Gph Is Working On A New Handheld (codename: Gpx3)

telengard said:
Bah, who bumped this April fools' joke? :)

Had me psyched for a minute there. Old age is setting in when I can't remember posts from a few months ago.

~telengard
I got excited too, its not old age. Its just that it was a few months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I posed a serious question, noting the date, if there had been any news on GP3X. And all I get is "LOL, it was april fools!!!"...

Perhaps I should have put GP3X into quotations, or added "or whatever GPH will call the machine that might, or might not, follow GP2X"...

Ok, how about this:

GamePark produced the GP32, and then a few half-assed attempts at others before going bust.
GPH produced the GP2X, and will probably create a few half-assed attempts at others before going bust.

Any successor to the GP2X will of course be posted on GPH's website - as they'll clearly need the funding via pre-orders before they can actually produce it.

Any rumours posted before that happens should be taken with a pinch of salt... (unless of course its a different company all alltogther)

Unfathomable Depths said:
Worst code name of all time since 006 defected to the Russians. And I bet hes got a homebrew compatible iPhone.

We lost the Cold War.
Unfortunately none of us really knows what development costs of such a system are.

From an investor standpoint, there are a lot of things that would need to be explained to them. They would be wondering "well, you're not going to be raking-in money from licensed games, and you're not going to sell millions of units without the marketing power of a sony or nintendo", so why should I invest?

So GPH sits down with an investor at a bar and sketches out on a napkin: If they can project to sell 100k units at $50 net profit over manufacturing+distribution costs for two years, that's only 5 million dollars. Subtracting a 10% ROI/annum for the investor would leave enough to pay salaries for ~40 skilled employees (engineers, developers) over a 2 year period, with no budget for hardware, offices and R&D expenses.

Even with the reduced costs of using linux as an OS, it's hard to see them developing any next gen device on their own. This is why i think that buying into a hardware design like the Nokia 800 successor, which will do everything you want is a smart idea. Then you re-brand the device as a GPH and give it optimal gamer controls. Perhaps spend some money tweaking sdl or Opengl ES and line-up some game developers to make ports for your release.

Funnily enough, that April's Fool announcement doesn't sound incredible compared to what we know about now ;).

A_SN said:
Funnily enough, that April's Fool announcement doesn't sound incredible compared to what we know about now ;).
Heh - got me ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
A_SN said:
Heh - got me ;)

Oh, so you made this post using what you knew about this new console at the time? Hehe, sweet.

Interesting, read through the posts. Ed knew, but Squidge can't have done at the beginning. Then gave the biggest hints...

Squidge said:
Well, we did drop some nice hints, but not many people took the bait ;)
Well, there's hints and there's hints. I think I'd worked it out once you mentioned spot being worked on "but not necessarily on the GP2x", before which I thought this thread was a semi-april fool's and a semi interest-guage (but with no hard development having happened). At least if I recall right - April's a while back now!

Back