Gph Christmas Video Contest

Aw man, I wish I'd known about this. Could really do with a wiz, y'know, for my Wiz* based news site.

*among others

Might do one for next year, in the highly unlikely event I stick to my new years resolution of actually bothering my arse.

craigix said:
Could someone maybe ask GPH what happened here? And what happened to the $200,000 competition too?

I think WarmFluffy is our main point of correspondence here.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know nobody applied, so the competition was cancelled :(.

The Coding competition is still on and scheduled for early in the new year.

WarmFluffyUK said:
As far as I know nobody applied, so the competition was cancelled :( .

Really? Nobody entered?

Regards

André

WarmFluffyUK said:

Well it wasn't very well promoted, I didn't even see this post until Craig dug it up!

I know that I for one would be willing to enter if they decided to run it again!

Nova said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

Well it wasn't very well promoted, I didn't even see this post until Craig dug it up!

I know that I for one would be willing to enter if they decided to run it again!
Not to point out the obvious but it is posted in the Wiz news section which also appeared on the front page of gp32x.de. I'm not sure how higher profile it could have been when I originally posted it.

I think the demise of the competition was down to two main factors: 1. A lack of interest. 2. The prize was unknown, which probably had an impact on the lack of interest :( . There was also those who instantly accused GPH of trying to get free advertising, which was not their intention at all.

GPH have been a little disheartened by the response to the idea of a video competition. I personally was a little down in the mouth about the feedback too, it was only a bit of fun for those who wanted to mess about a bit, with a surprise for the winner(s) at the end of it. If you didn't like it you didn't have to take part and flaming the competition wasn't in the least bit nice.

Thanks,
Clare.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Nova said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

Not to point out the obvious but it is posted in the Wiz news section which also appeared on the front page of gp32x.de. I'm not sure how higher profile it could have been when I originally posted it.

I think the demise of the competition was down to two main factors: 1. A lack of interest. 2. The prize was unknown, which probably had an impact on the lack of interest :( . There was also those who instantly accused GPH of trying to get free advertising, which was not their intention at all.

GPH have been a little disheartened by the response to the idea of a video competition. I personally was a little down in the mouth about the feedback too, it was only a bit of fun for those who wanted to mess about a bit, with a surprise for the winner(s) at the end of it. If you didn't like it you didn't have to take part and flaming the competition wasn't in the least bit nice.

Thanks,
Clare.

Well I don't know who's the same as me, but I have the forums bookmarked, so I just skip the front page, and as I don't have a Wiz, I don't browse Wiz news very much. I agree that GPH should be a little disheartened by the lack of applications here, but couldn't they at least have contacted Engadget or some other news site for a bit more exposure? I guess the opensource world doesn't get a lot of exposure full stop.

Clare could I ask you to kindly contact me if GPH decide to run anything similar to this? I can then post it up on openXile and that might help a bit with exposure. Only if it's not too much trouble :)

WarmFluffyUK said:
There was also those who instantly accused GPH of trying to get free advertising, which was not their intention at all.

What was their intention, exactly?

WarmFluffyUK said:

thats exactly the same information i got back. i guess gamepark will officially annoucne soon, that the compo was no success. the coding compo is in heavy build up phase, so nothing to worry about.
-koj

Dear all,

The “Video Clip Competition” has been canceled because we simply did not receive any submissions.
I would like to apologize for not announcing anything directly after deadline,
when the due date arrived – there was still hope to get at least one late entry.
It seems the “surprise prize” idea did not motivate enough.

For now we concentrate on the “coding competition” and might reactivate the “video compo” at a later time.

Thank you for understanding

Tony Han
Overseas Sale Manager

Exophase said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
There was also those who instantly accused GPH of trying to get free advertising, which was not their intention at all.

What was their intention, exactly?
Free advertising :p

But I don't really blame them. The idea could have worked but making videos takes allot of time and knowledge (and posession of) of editing software.

Back