Gpfrontier - Elite 2: Frontier Ported To Gp2x

JoJo_ReloadeD

Still Fresh
Hi, I've just ported the ST version of Frontier to Gp2x.

frontier.png

You can download it here:

GpFrontier v1.0

:D

EDIT: Download link changed to gp2x file archive - no registration nor waiting :)

Wow, any more information? What is the speed like? How did you map all the keys? Your link just takes me to a Spanish language log in page.

WhizzBang said:
Wow, any more information? What is the speed like? How did you map all the keys? Your link just takes me to a Spanish language log in page.
Sorry, I didn't think you had to be logged in to gp32spain to download the game, I've just updated the link to megaupload.

About the controls... (pasted from readme.txt)

2 .- Controls:

Joystick - Move mouse pointer
A - Right mouse button (Hold to mousegrab)
X - Left mouse button (Normal click)
B - F3 (Ship Status , cargo, missions...)
Y - F1 (Frontal view, rear, external)
L - F8 (Hyperdrive, Map Zoom out)
R - F7 (Take off, Engines, Map Zoom in)
Start - 1 (Default start, Ross154)
Select - ESC (Game options)
Vol+ - Throttle up
Vol- - Throttle down
Click Pad - P (Needed to pass game key protection)

And speed is nice, not perfect but very playable ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly looks the part - didn't get very far having never played the original...

I managed to launch and got told I had to leave because I didn't have clearance!

Frontier is one of those amazingly detailed how-on-earth-did-they-do-it-in-under-a-meg games. Consequently you do actually have to do things like ask the local authorities if it's ok to take off.

After all, you might have a fine you've got to pay first.

Assuming this is less of a slideshow than the original ST ver, I'll be very very happy; just a shame about First Encounters never having the source released for it...

Hey thanks for this, I'll try it out sometime this week :)

Just one suggestion, F200 users may not be able to use the stick click, so perhaps you could release a small patch for that issue.

Oh, that looks very nice.
The frame rate is a bit choppy though, any chance of improvements in the future?

I think this item should be on the frontpage.

Wewt, runs great at 280mhz, much faster than both the ST and Amiga emulated versions! Now I just need to remember a few good trade routes ;)

[edit]

Oh, and for those not able to over clock that high, try turning the detail level down in options, it can look really ugly, but be really playable at 240mhz on low detail.

Brilliant conversion, but there needs to be a button that switches the d-pad from controlling the joystick to the mouse. Controlling both at the same time is a clever solution, but it doesn't really work - in the stockmarket screen, for example, pushing down in order to click one of the boxes with the pointer also scrolls the boxes down, so it's difficult to click the one you want (as it keeps moving out of the way). Similarly, it's not possible to look at the solar system info screen, as moving the mouse pointer across to the icon also scrolls the galactic map. You end up looking at the info screen for the wrong solar system.

The stockmarket problem is annoying, but nothing that can't be overcome. The solar system thing ruins the game, though, as it's impossible to tell which planets have space ports without the info screen.

ant512 said:
Brilliant conversion, but there needs to be a button that switches the d-pad from controlling the joystick to the mouse. Controlling both at the same time is a clever solution, but it doesn't really work - in the stockmarket screen, for example, pushing down in order to click one of the boxes with the pointer also scrolls the boxes down, so it's difficult to click the one you want (as it keeps moving out of the way). Similarly, it's not possible to look at the solar system info screen, as moving the mouse pointer across to the icon also scrolls the galactic map. You end up looking at the info screen for the wrong solar system.

The stockmarket problem is annoying, but nothing that can't be overcome. The solar system thing ruins the game, though, as it's impossible to tell which planets have space ports without the info screen.
That will be done on next releases. At the moment you can rely on diagonals to pass those errors (UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT are mapped to the ST UP, DOWN... but not the diagonals) ;)

JoJo_ReloadeD said:
What have you done exactly? I guess the source code is not available... Is it a complete rewrite of the engine? Is it a custom ST emulator integrating the game?

Anyway, this sounds great! Thanks for your work. I am going to try it soon.

About the comments on the frame rate on ST, as far as I remember, it was poor on the surface of the planets, but very smooth during space combat, which is the most important I think. EDIT: Actually I remember that I played it on my A1200.

hal9000 said:
What have you done exactly? I guess the source code is not available... Is it a complete rewrite of the engine? Is it a custom ST emulator integrating the game?
According to the readme, the code is a port of another guy's work - he disassembled the ST version and rewrote it in C:

http://www.tomatarium.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glfrontier.html

Regarding speed, it's quicker than an A500; probably about the same speed as a standard A1200. Nowhere as fast as a 68030-equipped A1200. Still very playable, though!

ant512 said:
According to the readme, the code is a port of another guy's work - he disassembled the ST version and rewrote it in C:

http://www.tomatarium.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glfrontier.html

Regarding speed, it's quicker than an A500; probably about the same speed as a standard A1200. Nowhere as fast as a 68030-equipped A1200. Still very playable, though!

Thanks for the info!

There is one single thing I have always hated in Frontier: the color of the sky, stupidly blue, and the dark face of planets, much to lighted. Space does not look like that. I have always wanted to patch that. 15 years later, I could finally do it!

HMMMM... I am going to have to give this a go after work. Sounds awesome I never really got into frontier on the amiga as it was too slow at the time but I did love elite.

I love you I love you I love you I love you!

Being a Brit, I'm not one to show much emotion, although you can hopefully garner that I'm pleased. :D

hal9000 said:
JoJo_ReloadeD said:
Is it a custom ST emulator integrating the game?

I believe that this is what it is as Frontier was written in 68K assembler. Porting it is not possible as assembler is of course not portable.
There must be hooks into the Frontier interface for controls and such.

Anyway, this is AWESOME. I love Frontier. It was the first thing I tried on UAE but without much success as the controls are so complex. But this is really top stuff.

I also have a DaveC D-pad so I would need a replacement for the joystick click button.

THANKS!

EDIT: translation from jibberish to english

Hi I'm aware of the F200 joystick click issue.

I'll release an update to this soon. Other things like music & speed improvement will take more time, but I'll try to improve it as much as I can ;)

Great portable version that does not rely on keyboard control. Playing frontier in uae or castaway was just not that easy because of needing a keyboard.

The joystick/mouse control has his flaws but hey this is great work.

I remember me buying this games for my accellerated a1200... I am a bit rusty but this game is definately going to stay on my gp2x.

Please keep improving this port !

JoJo_ReloadeD said:
Hi I'm aware of the F200 joystick click issue.

I'll release an update to this soon. Other things like music & speed improvement will take more time, but I'll try to improve it as much as I can ;)
Sounds great.

I'm interested in some of the technical details.
Are you using Cyclone on this? I have to assume you are as the speed is great so far!
Do you let the 68K just run as fast as it can or is it set to a certain speed?

Back