GPD WIN 2

I like that they've been able to silkscreen the ports, something that was missed off the Pandora, and hasn't even be planned for the Pyra I don't think (although in both those cases it was more about the game buttons doubling up as home/end/pgup/dn than the sockets, and the Pyra has those squeezed on the buttons themselves).
The silkscreening was skipped because it looked really cheap iirc.

GPD WIN 2 - Full Specs

So the complete specs of the GPD WIN 2 have now been officially posted by GPD.

To summarize:

SOC Intel: M3-7Y30
RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 @ 1866MHz
Storage: 128GB M.2 2242 SSD card SATA 3.0. Card is user replaceable
Screen: 6" Sharp 1280x720p capactive touch screen with Gorilla Glass 4
WiFi: 802.11 a/ac/b/g/n 2.4G/5G
WiDi: Yes
Blutooth: 4.2
Speakers: Stereo
MIcrophone: Yes
Ports: USB Type A 3.0, USB Type C 3.0, MIcro HDMI, 3.5mm headphone jack, Micro SD
Battery: 2 x 4900mAh batteris at 3.8v . Total of 9800mAh - 37.24Wh
Rumble: Features two vibration motors
Design: Designed by a team that won the Red Dot Award
Weight: 460g
Width: 162mm
Depth: 99mm
Thickness: 25mm
Construction Material: ABS body , Metal frame lid with swappable cover
Charging: PD 2.0, capable of charging the WIN 2 from zero to 50% in 30 minutes
Cooling: Heatsink + Auto controlled fan (able to pump out hot air at 8 times the rate of the current WIN)

Indiegogo campaign planned for January with delivery probably around April

Some interesting pics:

Zz83oab.jpg

wvpb2X8.jpg

deLmrdp.jpg

edoNSly.jpg

Last edited:
Is it bad I'm more hyped for this now than the pyra?

Don't know if it's bad, but I completely understand you... I'll still get a Pyra because of what it represents, but for actual use, don't know....

That that plastic part is designed to be swappable means it might not end up looking quite so Galaxy Quest with a little careful choosing.

It's a little odd they're announcing it supports WiDi when that was abandoned two years ago in favour of miracast. I guess that's just something they end up getting for free with the chipset they're using.

Don't know if it's bad, but I completely understand you... I'll still get a Pyra because of what it represents, but for actual use, don't know....

It's time for the Pyra to finally get out to the public.
The GPD has it's advantages over the Pyra and if we don't get a new processor soon the Pyra might be inferior.

Don't miss the advantages:
1. 2 full SD card slots
2. LTE
3. Linux

That might not seem much compared to the WIN's power and easy to use Windows/Steem but for me I'm used to that and I don't want to miss my SD-card slots and Linux.
With a shiny new Processor I think the Pyra will be the better device for me in every case.
I like my freedom.

The GPD has it's advantages over the Pyra and if we don't get a new processor soon the Pyra might be inferior.

1. 2 full SD card slots
2. LTE
3. Linux

That might not seem much compared to the WIN's power and easy to use Windows/Steem but for me I'm used to that and I don't want to miss my SD-card slots and Linux.
With a shiny new Processor I think the Pyra will be the better device for me in every case.
I like my freedom.
Well, certainly not in "every case" but it would be a shame if a Linux user were to choose GPD Win over Pyra. Btw totally unrelated, net neutrality is gone, apparently.

Btw totally unrelated, net neutrality is gone, apparently.
That's completely off topic for this thread, and way too many people are talking about that with no notion of what any of it actually means as opposed to propaganda.

What happened is the 5 person FCC panel voted to reverse the re-classification of ISPs to Title II status back to Title I status. The shift to Title II having happened in 2015. Thus the FCC restored things to the prior status quo under Title I where the internet is jointly regulated by the FTC and FCC.

People familiar with the dynamics supporting the move favor it due to the addition of the FTC, whose primary purpose is consumer protections, and preventing one Federal organization from having complete regulatory control of the Internet. Those in opposition, who actually understand what's happening, are concerned the FTC will be a non-player and the reduced ability of the FCC to regulate the ISPs under Title I will allow them to get out of hand.

The real question is what the FTC now does associated with its mission of Consumer Protection, and what people do now that they can file Consumer Complaints with the FTC against ISPs.

Here's a video if you'd prefer:

This of course is a side show to issues associated the ISPs noncompliance with the provisions of the 1996 Telecommunications Act including the failure to deliver on their promise of upgrading the infrastructure to fiber roughly a decade ago.

Last edited:
Yep, it's certainly a neat device (and if I would've known years ago someone would produce something like that, I'd never have started to work on the Pyra), but it's also missing a lot of stuff for me, mainly the LTE, SD Card slots and other stuff.
Also, I'm not that happy with the DPads GPD produced so far, I neither liked the one in the GPD XD nor the one in the GPD Win. And having the DPad TO THE RIGHT of the analog stick is a downside for me.
The keyboard of the Win also was pretty bad (so bad that my wife stopped using it and went back to grab her Pandora... and she mostly uses it for internet!)

Yes, I want the Pyra to be released ASAP as well, and I certainly hope we can get nice upgrades in the future. Intel processors can be bought by anyone, so we could releases a version with the same CPU in theory.

Yes, I want the Pyra to be released ASAP as well, and I certainly hope we can get nice upgrades in the future. Intel processors can be bought by anyone, so we could releases a version with the same CPU in theory.

Steamed pyra? That would be great!

That's completely off topic for this thread, and way too many people are talking about that with no notion of what any of it actually means as opposed to propaganda.

What happened is the 5 person FCC panel voted to reverse the re-classification of ISPs to Title II status back to Title I status. The shift to Title II having happened in 2015. Thus the FCC restored things to the prior status quo under Title I where the internet is jointly regulated by the FTC and FCC.

People familiar with the dynamics supporting the move favor it due to the addition of the FTC, whose primary purpose is consumer protections, and preventing one Federal organization from having complete regulatory control of the Internet. Those in opposition, who actually understand what's happening, are concerned the FTC will be a non-player and the reduced ability of the FCC to regulate the ISPs under Title I will allow them to get out of hand.

The real question is what the FTC now does associated with its mission of Consumer Protection, and what people do now that they can file Consumer Complaints with the FTC against ISPs.

Here's a video if you'd prefer:

This of course is a side show to issues associated the ISPs noncompliance with the provisions of the 1996 Telecommunications Act including the failure to deliver on their promise of upgrading the infrastructure to fiber roughly a decade ago.
upload_2017-12-15_17-30-7.png

GPD WIN 2 - Full Specs

So the complete specs of the GPD WIN 2 have now been officially posted by GPD.

To summarize:

SOC Intel: M3-7Y30
RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 @ 1866MHz
Storage: 128GB M.2 2242 SSD card SATA 3.0. Card is user replaceable
Screen: 6" Sharp 1280x720p capactive touch screen with Gorilla Glass 4
WiFi: 802.11 a/ac/b/g/n 2.4G/5G
WiDi: Yes
Blutooth: 4.2
Speakers: Stereo
MIcrophone: Yes
Ports: USB Type A 3.0, USB Type C 3.0, MIcro HDMI, 3.5mm headphone jack, Micro SD
Battery: 2 x 4900mAh batteris at 3.8v . Total of 9800mAh - 37.24Wh
Rumble: Features two vibration motors
Design: Designed by a team that won the Red Dot Award
Weight: 460g
Width: 162mm
Depth: 99mm
Thickness: 25mm
Construction Material: ABS body , Metal frame lid with swappable cover
Charging: PD 2.0, capable of charging the WIN 2 from zero to 50% in 30 minutes
Cooling: Heatsink + Auto controlled fan (able to pump out hot air at 8 times the rate of the current WIN)

Indiegogo campaign planned for January with delivery probably around April

...and price? ^^"""

No, because it's an very interesting device. I never seen a handheld with an M.2 SSD DATA3 slot for instance. Almost makes SD cards obsolete this way (if PC's would have an hotswap M.2 slot of course).

But is the rest of the Pyra hardware "Intel compatible"?

A Pyra whit steam wouldnt make much sense for me, as there isnt much in my Steam Library (some Indie Games like Terraria, Retro City Rampage, Portal 1 and 2, Half Live 2, Garrys Mod, Rocksmith and all Gothic Games (1 - 4),
I god lots of Games from GOG the last few months because they run on my GPD Win..

When the Pandora was delevoped, there wasnt any Handheld whit Gaming Controlls and Keyboard, and at first place it was ment to be a "GP2X whit more Power" but mybe they saw the Pandora, and wantet to build there own "Pandora Device", so they createt the GPD Win..

1. 2 full SD card slots
2. LTE
3. Linux

I like my freedom.

I want to start off by saying that I'm a pre-preorderer for the Pyra, following the development since the beginning, and again definitely want to get it ASAP, since it represents something no GPD can deliver: freedom (as you already said).

Still, I have to object to 2 out of your 3 points:

1. 2 full SD card slots < 1 M.2 SATA3 port: Depends on individual opinion, of course, but I think most people WILL prefer the latter for storage
2. LTE: Nothing to object here, definitely a point for the Pyra I'm also looking forward to.
3. Linux: This is a WIP for both devices, currently and at launch (even for the Pyra, this has been discussed several times in the forums). Talking after launch: The Pyra's HW adaptation will probably be much more optimized in the near future, and the user experience more polished, but the Win 2 will boot Linux just like any other x86_64 machine in the near future too.

Now, talking purely about usability: Pyra + Intel would be a dream... Forget about Windows, I banned that OS from my devices a long time ago (even on my Win), but anyone with a Win will know how awesome it is to be able to have steam (or Dolphin, or PCSX2, ...) on a handheld console format, and something that allows that minus the faults of the original Win definitely has my full support.

Yesterday, i changed my "EDC Handheld" From GPD Win back to Pandora, because some things are realy anying whit this Thing: The OS isnt Scalled for this Tiny Screen, and i have currently a USB Issue: Yesterday morning, i moved everything from my 32gb normal sice USB 3 USB Stick to a Tiny 64 gb USB Stick in USB 3, whit the GPD, and everything worked perfektly, but after a while i put it back in the Port but it ditnt worked,
But the Pandora works great whit this Stick..

I think the GPD is a cool Device, but there is much more efford in the Pyra/Pandora the Long way..

Yes and no... Better in all, but definitely not the same price tag...

Yes, and it would also not be able to run as fast for longer periods of time due to the passive cooling and the battery is smaller (but replaceable).

It would still be something different :)

But is the rest of the Pyra hardware "Intel compatible"?

If you're asking this question, you haven't fully understood the concept of the Pyra yet:
The stuff on the mainboard is nothing that's tied to any CPU.

We've got a normal keyboard controller, power and charging circuit, some devices (like sensors, etc.) using standard SDIO and GPI connections, MIPI for display and stuff like USB ports where the pins go directly onto the CPU board.

Those are all standard connections. Think about them like USB devices on your PC:
Can you still use your USB keyboard or other USB devices when you change the CPU?

Yes, some drivers would probably need to be changed, but overall, there are only standard components on the mainboard, the magic happens on the CPU board.

Back