GPD WIN 10 gamepad system manual

karenzhou

Still Fresh
GPD WIN gamepad is an installed genuine WIN 10 system standard laptop with hardware configuration. Without certain knowledge of software and hardware, maybe you cannot play this PC gamepad well. As more and more people have joined the group of GPD, this is the time to share some standard manual to customers.
127900051a85c301fa38

Using WIN 10 easy to go into the sleeping mode?
GPD WIN is a gamepad with WIN10 system, so it has the drawbacks that WIN 10 system has. Please don’t complain about the quality of GPD, you may complain that Microsoft is not strong enough. If this happens, you may go directly into setting-system-power supply option to turn off the sleeping mode.
127d0005364c9e42063f

Which games can it play?
In theory GPD WIN can run all the games supported by WIN 10 system. For hardware configuration it uses quadro core, 4G RAM, 64G eMMC, so it has no pressure in playing normal 3D games. For the new 3D games you need to adjust them to the low specs to run them smoothly, for example, Overwatch and GTA5.
127900053f568755dd8e

Where to download the games?
For simulator games you may download chicken simulator, for stand-alone games you may go to websites like 3DM, to play genuine games you may go to Steam platform to download. There are many high quality games from Steam platform. For online games please download from the game official websites.
11f8000822d02427f912

We strongly suggest you not to install the anti-virus software!
The functionality of the GPD WIN will be decreased by 30% after you installing the anti-virus software. For someone who likes to install more than two anti-virus software you may hardly play on this pc. If you are afraid your GPD WIN will get some virus, please be careful when downloading some software. We suggest you not to watch some tiny movies, if you really wish to watch some movies, we suggest you to download a XP virtual machine. If it gets the virus you just simply uninstall the XP.
1279000542608e885e21

Why I got stuck in playing games, but no when watching the video?
Because of the complexity of windows software, there can be many reasons for it. Some can be solved by going to different websites to download different game version, some can be solved by installing some patch for the games, or optimizing the game setting. In short, you may play GPD WIN well by learning the WIN 10 system. Do you feel it is good to spend some money on the gamepad while gaining some software/hardware knowledge?
1279000542b23314c984

How to choose storage accessories?
GPD WIN has the setting with 64G eMMC, the reading speed of memory will have direct impact with the functionality of the games. So when you choose TF card and external U disk, please try to choose the high speed read, especially if you wish to buy the TF card with 128G, some might not be recognized. So you may purchase it from some stores which can refund the product without reason, so that you may have a try before making sure it can be used. When you choose the U disk, you may choose the one with MLC high speed flash memory, which will have a faster speed.
127d00053f58dbd0659c

Turn off the auto update
If you don’t know WIN 10 well, we suggest you to keep the settings of the original version, do not use auto update, do not install useless drivers, and do not use the factory reset.

In other words, the machine is a tad too light for the OS and has some problems.
And; do not do any serious work on this machine as it's potentially a huge security leak which can be updated but you will suffer the consequences rendering the unit useless for leisure functionality.

Reading this does not make me want to buy it.

AFAIK Auto-Update can't even be disabled in Windows 10 (unless you use an Enterprise license), so that won't help ;)

Actually, I don't install realtime virus scanners on any of my Windows systems - they always slow down like hell (not only on the GPD Win).

I am using my own owncloud for important files, am careful what websites I visit (using a non-common browser as that's not attacked as often), am scanning for viruses when I don't use the system actively, use non-common software generally and never had any virus problems.

Reactions: rSl
Without certain knowledge of software and hardware, the GPD WIN.
>Please don’t complain about the quality of GPD

The GPD win everybody.

Win 10, with no AV, and with auto-updates turned off, running virtual XP to watch movies

>If it gets the virus

How could so little go right.

I was expecting a manual for the "gamepad system", instead I see a general FAQ

As far as I know there's already a preinstalled antivirus on Win 10, should it be disabled too ?

AFAIK Auto-Update can't even be disabled in Windows 10 (unless you use an Enterprise license), so that won't help
You can, even in Pro versions, I did this and my Win10 does only Update when I want it. Of course it still checks automaticly if updates are available and notice you, so you don't miss updates. But you start the download manualy. I neededto do this because I have slow Internet and dont want auto updates when I'm online gaming etc.
http://www.rizonesoft.com/disable-windows-10-updates-group-policies/
http://www.rizonesoft.com/disable-windows-10-updates-anniversary-update/

You can, even in Pro versions, I did this and my Win10 does only Update when I want it. Of course it still checks automaticly if updates are available and notice you, so you don't miss updates. But you start the download manualy. I neededto do this because I have slow Internet and dont want auto updates when I'm online gaming etc.
Interestingly they actually removed the group policies editor from the control panel. They have started to remove certain policies as well, this actually might stop working with one of the upcoming feature updates at some point.

Getting rid of the telemetry data collection and transmission is a much bigger PITA, though... messing with group policies and service settings is not enough to make it shut the fuck up.

*shudder* when i read such things, i'm verry lucky to use this 'other' free os, thanks. :)

Can't really talk about tracking as i guess you'd need to spy communications to be sure, but the no autoupdate works perfectly...

Given that GPD's reps have the time to spam articles across multiple forums it'd be nice if they'd take the time to head back over to dingoonity and do some damage control in their GPD win problem thread that they made and seemed to have abandoned a month ago.

Now, I'm a big supporter of the WIN, I think it's an excellent device. and I'm getting a lot of use out of mine. Mainly as a miniature computer (office/web etc) rather than a dedicated gaming device. As a computer, it performs for me completely within it's spec. I would definitely recommend it to others, acknowledging it's issues I would limit that audience to more technical savvy people until the platform matures a bit similar to the pandora in it's early days.

But what the holy hell is this post? Is this propaganda from GPD or just some fanboy/advertiser?

Don't update your device, install antivirus software, or change any settings away from the default config, suggesting people first go and pirate games but if they choose to install legitimately go to steam, watch videos in a virtual machine rather than the native OS?? Is this real life?

I think GPD made a pretty good device with the WIN. Sure it needs some firmware fixes still (sleep issues, charging issues, thermal throttling, controller polling latency, sdcard timeouts) and they released a batch with some errors on the PCB but has since been fixed (similar to pandora again) and if the there are bugs in the OS either bundled or coming upstream from Microsoft that is causing issues with this specific hardware then properly identify and document your changes and release hotfixes people can install on top of a clean OS. Telling people the equivalent to the apple "you're holding it wrong" or passing the blame on external factors or the users themselves is not right at all. These suggestions for how to fix things or work around legitimate problems sounds like they are coming from a used car salesman.

I'm going to try and act like I never seen this.

Last edited:
Back