GP64 recommended specs?

Rambozo

So I was thinking since the current GP is based off the dying ARM processor, the next GP system could run the 400Mhz XScale CPU. By that time the 1Ghz XScales will be out and the lower models will be alot cheaper. In addition, a floating point math processor would enable easier ports of 3D games, and some kind of low key 3D acceleration/hardware effects could help push the performance of the GP64 beyond that of the PSP or even the next Gameboy.

The screen should be 400*300, and transflective (side-lit) right out of the box. I'd say a fair price for such a unit would be around 200-250 bucks at launch, then closer to 180 later in the lifespan.

It should also adopt a clamshell design. Every time I take my GP32 with me I fear for the screen. It already has a few small scratches that bug me and I'm probably going to have to buy a replacement screen cover. The clamshell design has kept my GBA screen clean and unscratched, even now.

Lastly, the GP64 should have both Smartmedia and Compactflash ports. This would be for purposes of backwards compatibility, and also embracing Compactflash, which offers much higher capacities than smartmedia and often at lower prices. This would also allow ingenious coders to make use of things like compactflash wifi adaptors to allow your GP32 to get online using a wireless network.

davey g posted on Oct 16 2003 at 07:54 PM said:
I thought Compact flash only went up to 512mb, therefore it still doesnt match up to smartmedia cards in terms of storage and seriously, often cheaper? 256mb for £100 doesnt seem cheaper to me.
??, Compactflash goes upto and beyond 2GB. IBM CF 1GB Micrdrives can be had for under £100 if you know where to look.

SmartMedia only has 128MB cards available in retail and 256MB in prototype form.

Regards CF, try £35 for a 256MB CF card.

Last edited by a moderator:
GP64 sounds great but I dont know if that jewel will ever exist...
It could be great to use quite the same specs than GP32 but with a 3D chip and a newer rev of the ARM920T...
I think it would be enough to play Quake...

About smartmedia & compactflash : CF can hold more mem are cheaper and faster.
But it could be good to add some RAM et a flash mem inside the unit (128Mb or something like that) to help some games & apps...

Do not hold your breath for this one....lol :D
see you

I don't think it will happen for a long time, especially considering they mucked up the european launch

p.s. check out my new site, it is still only in the early stages. You can get to it from the site in my sig

I read an artical on the Korean Herald talking about how Samsung recently showcased their 4 Gig flash or samrt media. I'm not sure which one it was... ill have to look it up

seriously i think multimedia cards/securedigital cards will be a much better replacement to the smartmedia because they are cheaper and offer more storage space and as for the compact flash i think that is a good idea also altho having both would make the system bulky and the clamshell design will also add to the bulkyness. but i think an adapter for the compact flash to read mmc would compensate for that. and if you are having problems with scratches just get a film for your screen thats what i did and not one scratch on it. when the film does scrach however you can always replace it

Back