GP32 shooters: my top 5 picks

heh... told you guys :D

Tried Recca on advice of a friend and was simply blown away. Not only is it impressive to see the NES do this game, with so much going on onscreen so rapidly, but it actually is a really good shooter as well.

Seeing this game from way back then, it really was ahead of it's time, in the so-called 'manic' style that is so common in shooters today (think Mars Matrix and others of it's type and you know why they are called 'manic'). But you never really saw these type of games back then.

it's a very valuable Famicom game now, goes for a lot of money on Ebay.

my current top 5 gp32 shooters

1 - tempest (mame)
imo probably the best shooter ever made

2 - dropzone (on atari 800, c64, gameboy mono + color and snes)
its the differences that make this defender clone better than the original game

3 - llamatron (atari st)
jeff minters brilliant take on robotron

4 - iridis alpha (c64)
hardcore!

5 - defender 1, 2, robotron and sinistar on williams arcade hits (on genesis)
defender 1, 2, robotron and sinistar! on one rom. not the best conversion -defender 2 smart bomb can be a pain in the ass to trigger because of the controls and robotrons 'rotate' controls are a bit annoying but still a solid set of classics

Fav shooters ? they dont make them like they used to..........

Delta
Sanxion
Aramlyte
Hawkeye

Speccy

Jetpac, Lunar Jetman,rtype

Amiga (heres hoping for an emulator on the gp2x)

Project X
X-Out
Darious

And on others,

Nemesis/gradious series
Salamader
Rtype series (number 3 great on Snes)
Thunderforce series

I personally consider Blazing Lazers AKA Gunhed to be the seminal vertical SHMUP. It looks good, sounds amazing, has incredible variety of levels, a massive variety of weapons (they make the game IMO) and just never gets old. Sadly it's not playable on GP32 (doesn't work on GPengine) but I have high hopes of playing it on GP2X. :)

I really love many SHMUPS for many systems though, but I think the PC-Engine (especially when you include CD games) has perhaps the best selection of any system.

Robotron 2084 - my personal all-time favorite arcade game ever. It is pure Zen. To play Robotron well, is to disappear and become one with the universe. It is truly perfect game design. Thankfully the GP2X has the controls to do it well. :)

BaDToaD posted on Aug 12 2005 at 02:54 PM said:
TandeM posted on Aug 12 2005 at 03:57 AM said:
GREATFLASH posted on Aug 11 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
Warhawk - What was that???

Apparently it can bring a thread back 7 months from the dead.

Also a decent shooter on Atari ST (and to a lesser degree on C64)

Better on the ST? You're having a laugh aren't you! Since when have conversions ever been as good as the original? And be careful how you reply, there are 2/3 of the original development team in this thread :D

Hi guys new to this forum

Warhawk, that brings back memories, remember having saved up £10 from my paper round and going into town to buy Gauntlet for my C64, I think I brought a game called Druid instead and had a couple of quid left over. I then saw Warhawk on the counter (I remember seeing good reviews for it and it looked similar to Starforce on the arcades which I liked) Best budget game I ever brought (I may still have the original somewhere)

Anyway havent got a GP32 yet (was going to buy one then found out about the GPX2) some of my favorite shooters that I am hoping to play on it:

1. Slapfight (arcade)
2. Uridium (C64)
3. Warhawk (C64
4. R-Type (PCE)
5. UN Squadron (SNES)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back