GP32 shooters: my top 5 picks

salamander on the pce is a very good port. other than it restarts further back in the level when you loose a life like gradius rarther than just sticking you back on without the stupid START thing.

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 11 2005 at 08:53 PM said:
I really liked bolcataxian for the gp32. It was a bit short but it was really fun.

Agreed. I don't even like shooters, and I've beaten this game multiple times. It's very fun and professional. Great graphics, etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
GREATFLASH posted on Aug 11 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
Warhawk - What was that???

Apparently it can bring a thread back 7 months from the dead.

Also a decent shooter on Atari ST (and to a lesser degree on C64)

EDIT: After actually playing the C64 version with the sound on for more than 2 minutes, I retract the above statement. Please don't kill me!

My picks:

1. Air Buster/Aero Blasters (MD/PCE)
2. Raiden (PCE)
3. After Burner II (MD) (fine, not a 'real' shmup)
4. Lightning Force (MD)
4 1/2. That one stage in Gunstar Heroes
4 3/4. That one stage in Kirby's Adventure
5. Gradius III (SNES)

It's a shame that when anyone lists their top games for the Gp32 they are all just Roms as the Gp32 has enough great games for you to never need emulators, technically this topics title should be "Top 5 Shoot-em-up Roms that work on the Gp32".

Anyway, why no love for noiz2sa?

TandeM posted on Aug 12 2005 at 03:57 AM said:

Better on the ST? You're having a laugh aren't you! Since when have conversions ever been as good as the original? And be careful how you reply, there are 2/3 of the original development team in this thread :D

BaDToaD posted on Aug 12 2005 at 01:54 PM said:
TandeM posted on Aug 12 2005 at 03:57 AM said:

Better on the ST? You're having a laugh aren't you! Since when have conversions ever been as good as the original? And be careful how you reply, there are 2/3 of the original development team in this thread :D

ST - what the hell is that.... Someone did a conversion on an ST? deary deary me!!!!

oh... it was better than the original... on the ST..... ha ha ha ha ha ha... Ouch... my sides hurt.... Bet it had really good music and SMOOTH scrolling... ha ha ha ha ... ow! NURSE please come help!!!!!!!

Another vote for Bolcataxian!

My other choices:

1) Panorama Cotton (Sega Genesis) - sure there are graphical glitches when it's played on DrMD, but it's still absolutely insane and the only Star-Fox-like 3-D shooter you're going to find on the GP32.

2) Parodius (PCEngine) - this one's a parody of shooters, as well as being a great shooter in its own right. Try it out, it's quite fun (and funny... especially if you play Panorama Cotton before playing this one)! Too bad it was only released in Japan (that's ok, though - there's not a lot of text).

Flipside posted on Aug 12 2005 at 01:41 PM said:
It's a shame that when anyone lists their top games for the Gp32 they are all just Roms as the Gp32 has enough great games for you to never need emulators, technically this topics title should be "Top 5 Shoot-em-up Roms that work on the Gp32".

i really don't think the gp32 could have survived for 4 whole years without the glut of emulators we have. Without them, majority of us would never have bought the system.

top 5 shooters - which work with varying results on the gp32

1. Gradius III - SFC
2. Thunderforce III - MD
3. Super Aleste - SFC
4. Elemental Master - MD
5. Super Star Soldier - PCE

I think that only my number 1 choice would get in a list if we could include 32 bit system shooters - so lets hope that the gpx2 pushes the emulation envelope wide open!!

This is very hard to do. I like a lot of different shooters. List five? I am not going to even try listing my favorites or best. I am only going to list what I am playing at the moment on my GP32.

DrMD
1. Gley Lancer
2. Zero Wing
3. Steel Empire

GPengine
4. Paranoia

DrMD
5. Bio-Hazard Battle

I will not mention Hellfire, GRIND Stormer, Thunder Force 3, Thunder Force 4, Heavy Unit, Gaiares, Darius 2, Aleste, Battle Squadron, Kyuukyou Tiger, Dead Moon, Galaga, Gradius, Parodius, R-Type, Salamander, Side Arms, Sinistron, Dragon Spirit, Air Zonk, and Magical Chase.
Wow! I did not realize that I had that many shooters on my GP! :lol:

And I do have "Tomak Save the Earth Again!

blazing lasers,galaga,raiden,salamander,soldier blade,tiger shark and 1942 all pce engine and all good

The best 'true GP32' native shmup is according to me... Tomak,[...] Moreover it's avaiable for download at a cheap price ;)
Not anymore... :(

How comes no one mentioned noiz2sa?

Flipside posted on Aug 12 2005 at 12:41 PM said:
Because it runs on ~8 fps and the graphics are tiny, plus no highscore saving... meh. There´s a decent version for the Zodiac btw.

However, my top 5 shooters on the gp32_console are:

1. GP Spout
2. Bolcataxian
3. Bang! GP
4. Vertical
5. Last Resort

Personally, I find Soldier Blade (PCE) to be a better shooter than R-Type.

Agreed... I used to only think of Rtype when I thought of PCE shooters, I literally stumbled upon Soldier Blade just recently. Didn't think much of it as I've never been a big fan of the 'Soldier' series (Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier). But I was very pleasantly surprised by Soldier Blade.

I have to say now, that hands down Soldier Blade is the best shooter on PCE, that I have ever played (and I've played most of them).

Graphically it's tops, definatley one of the best looking PCE games. And it has lots of cool little things going on that are common nowadays but were pretty rare back in the day, like the little intro where your ship comes out of a larger ship while a bunch of your squad mates fly by. VERY cool bosses, especially if you're a big fan of anime style giant robots.

Anyways, my top 5 would be:

1. Soldier Blade - PCE
2. R-type - PCE
3. Thunder Force IV - MD
4. Gley Lancer - MD (sorta like gradius but better)
5. Granada - MD (VERY cool overhead tank shooter!)

Other mentionables:

Recca - NES... if you haven't tried this NES shooter (and most people haven't) you
will be amazed and what the NES can do!!!

Parodius - PCE freakin amazing parody shooter!!!

Salamander/Life Force - PCE

Gaiares - MD

God... I could sit here and do this all day.....

1. Galaga (Little John, MAMEGP)
2. Parodius (GPEngine)
3. Thunderforce IV (DrMD)
4. R-Type (GPEngine)
5. Battle Squadron (DrMD)

I can also totally recommend Beamrider for Atari 2600, but I don't know if this works with either of the VCS-emus.

unlucky posted on Sep 10 2005 at 01:58 PM said:
bast525: Recca is really something i cant believe the nes is capable of displaying so much on the screen at once at such speed

Hey! I just tried "Recca." This game is really great. I have never heard of it before. I didn't know that the little NES could do this either. Slimey Aliens! Why don't they leave us alone?! he he he..... dead dumb aliens he he he.....

Back