GP32 shooters: my top 5 picks

centrlink

Website
Visit site
Got a little bored, thought I'd share my fave GP32 shooters.

1. Armalyte - C64

That's right - a C64 game. Pure brilliance and its over 15 years old. Fire up Frodo and give it a good go if you haven't - you won't regret it. It has that intangible quality that makes it brilliantly playable.

2. R-Type - PCE

Need I say more?

3. Sidewinder - ST

You might confuse it initially for a SEUCK game, but its much better than that. Satisfying exposions and satisfying blasting action. Works a treat with Castaway.

4. Jetpac - Spectrum

Another ancient gem (am I showing my age here :D ). So simple, yet deviously addictive.

5. Kyukyoko Tiger - PCE

Better than Raiden in my view and the best in its genre. I'm crap at it, but I like it :D

5 red-hot shooters

doom
doom 2
stardoom (you gotta have some starwars on the gp)
western (and some cowboys !)
rise of the triad

all fantastic, total quality

69th post fnarr fnarr

The best native GP shooters for me are:

Squad 14 - just fucking rocks! wish it had more levels tho :(
Last Resort - utter quality, unifinished :(
Vertical - original and pretty complete :)

Emulated:

Enforcer on C64 - Manfred Trenz is the man!
Aleste on Genesis - I keep on coming back to this one
Fantasy Zone on SMS - oldschool fun

We are just spoilt for choice with shootemups, I just wish the native GP32 ones were more complete.....

The best 'true GP32' native shmup is according to me... Tomak, not only coz it's the only one, but also coz it got really great gfx & animation + a great replay value as great horizontal shoot got (ie Metal Slug or Alien Homind)
Moreover it's avaiable for download at a cheap price ;)

Concerning emulated system then we've got alot of big names on PCE ;)

Craigix recommended "Battle Squadron" on the Genesis to me. Its bloody hard on normal level, so go to the options first and make your life eaiser.

Its runs perfectly on the new version of DrMD I'm working on. I think it has slight graphical glitches on DrMD v1.0 though. I'll just have to release a new version...won't I ;)

Go on, someone indulge me and play Warhawk on the c64. I worked for months on the visuals and level design. We got a couple of game of the months and hit number 4 in the c64 UK chart.

Even the reviewer from Lemon64 gives it 7 out of 10 and he doesn't like shoot 'em ups.

If you want some tips. Like how to double speed and firepower and how to easily get past the end level swarm PM me. :)

It may be nearly 20 years old but it still rocks.

OK so I am biased but here are some comments from the Lemon64 readers:

thechap*
This has to be one of the best shooters of all time. My aunt bought it for my birthday, and at the time I'd not even seen a review. Loaded it up expecting another crappy budget game.

Once I loaded it up I was hooked, from the great title screen, fantastic music and graphics. But the best thing was this was obviously a clone of my fav arcade game of the time - 'Starforce'.
---------------------
Ace
wow! what a blast! just played this for the first time in many years, and i was happy to see it has'nt lost its charm. great fun then, even better now! And the music is awesome. Great stuff!
---------------------
War Hawk
This game is my all time favorite. Music is amazing. Especially the game over sound makes me feel that I am really killed in that action. Yes this is %100 my favorite. Thats why I use it as a nickname every where.
Greetings to every C64 and Atari 800XL Fans.
Cem from Turkei
---------------------
Lars
I think I can easily say, this is my definate fav vertical shoot'em'up. I still play it till I drop sometimes! And the soundtrack is UNBELIEVABLE!
---------------------
Lee 'Capt.Kirk' Armstrong
Excellent. Broke a joystick playing this game...LOL

Vertical - original and pretty complete :)

oh, come on, leave that one out.. it embarrases me all the time ....
Vertical is one of the best homebrew games for the GP32, unfortunately it is to difficult o early.
I only ever got up to the begginning of Level 3 before I died, most of the time I died on Level 2.

I Can't wait until Vertical 2 though... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
some folks said it was a bit easy but I never completely got the hang of holding the GP that way around. Definately looking forward to Vertical 2!! I'm loving the quality of shooters we're getting these days!

Synkro: Possibly add a button reconfig mode in this release??

I really hope Vertical Shooter is still being worked on as it showed a huge amount of potential and with a few more added features (Powerups, more graphical variety, bosses, difficulty curve made less steep) Vertical Shooter could become a genuine GP32 classic.

Back