GP32 Screen: Scratched!

Shaking Spirit posted on Feb 1 2004 at 08:48 PM said:
lynx2oo2 posted on Feb 1 2004 at 04:52 PM said:
On replacing my screen (looks so much better now, i got to thinking, the bottom "ridged" screen that fits into the flu strip, what if a newb was trying to replace the screen and scratched this one?, can replacements be purchased for this one?
No it cant! If you fucked that up (Like me ;)), you cant buy a 30p replacement, you have to buy some AR film (witch is only available to industy, so you have to buy loads) and a new plain screen (preferably glass)

@godgnome - You can get a glass one cut from your local framers for about £1. It isn't risky, so long as you take your time and be sure to wipe away any dust before putting it back together.
would not something like this work?, under Special Materials / floor film?

or maybee a afterburner film, that goes for about £2?

Last edited by a moderator:
K, cheers they did it for £2 ... but my gp32 is a bit heavier and the glass is thicker than the plastic was... still way better than a plastic 1

I noticed mine was very scratched looking today, so I put some window cleaner on it and rubbed away and uhoh... it got worse. So I kept rubbing, and it got worse and worse and worse until it looked like the screen had started to decompose or something. Then I realised what I was actually doing was rubbing off the anti-glare layer! Two hours later and a lot of tissue paper I'm done, and I'm out of batteries to test it with! I'm going to take Steve O's word that it's better though.

There are no scratches now, even though I treated the screen very rough when I was rubbing it. The only thing now is the screen is VERY slightly cloudy where I prised it off so I could get all the anti-glare gunk off and smeared the back of it. I'm not very good at washing off things like that, but it doesn't look too bad. I'll try and sort it out next time I venture behind the screen protector. Hey, maybe that cloudiness will go over time - does anyone know if cloudy plastic becomes clear when it's left untouched for a long time?

I don't have too much of a problem with the cloudiness really - I've got a terrible memory but I'm sure the scratched off anti-glare layer looked worse. And hey, if I don't get along without the purple haze I can always buy myself another screen from GBAX! I'm really impressed at how easy they are to replace.

Has anyone tried those adhesive screen covers they make for PDAs? They tend to stay shiney and clear and if they get beaten up you just replace it.

Hopefully them make one large enough for the GP32!

I am suspicious that gamepark have possibly put some of the screens in upside down or used a totally different screen on some gp32's

My mate bought his about 2 weeks after me and we recently compared them while displaying the same image and his hasn't had any of the top layer come off like mine has, also his is far brighter with a slight blue tint, much better looking.

The main difference was that his was from GBAX and mine from Lik-sang, it definately seems that there different components....

Back