Buying Replacement screen

bmd3287

Website
Visit site
Heres the thing: I have a gp32 FLU and the screen (The Top one that is exposed to everything) is scratched up like when you scratch a GBA screen. Can this screen be removed easily? Is there any way to buy it other than from GBAX.com? is the replacement screen stronger? Thanks :)

I would think the screen would be the same, In strength i would imagine if it were to be any stronger it would dim the screen.The screen seems very fragile when i play,Maybe due to the size of it compared to the gba sp,If you push this its like plastic and bends. The gp32 screen could be cleaned up with some liquid glass which you can buy from places like "Arts And Crafts", This may work best to try it on some other glass first alot it does leave smudges if you not carefull. In the uk we have a shopping channel named QVC they normally sell this product along with this very strong glue.The glue shouldnt be mixed up with the liquid glass lol!

The original plastic screen, which I removed to replace it with a glass screen (best thing I ever did) measures 77.8mm x 59.8mm, with rounded corners. The glass I use -2mm thick (any glazier or picture framing shop will cut it for you), cost me £1. I rounded the corners with a Dremel - you could use a file or abrasive stone. Because you have a FLU I'd recommend that with the plastic screen removed you put a small piece of UHU White Tack (much better than BluTack) over the FLU cable hole to prevent any dust. Because the glass is inflexible, and the gold strip of the FLU raises the level somewhat, I'd also recommend that you put thin strips of White Tack all the way round before replacing the glass screen. This will totally seal the glass in, and you'll have no dust problems. Light reflection is only a small problem with glass, but you will notice the colours are better and brighter - and no problems with scratches anymore.

@reeced:

I'm really tempted to do this. But do you think the glass will be more breakable, say, if your gp32 is in your pocket, and if it were to break it could damage the flu behind it?

I'm not keen on getting a replacement screen from gbax as I've heard they aren't as good as the original screen and my one has got this wierd marbled effect - not scratched but bruised (?)

So all I'm really asking is, have you used this for long, and is it recommended?

cheers

I've just realised something. If the anti reflective layer is supposed to be between the plastic screen cover and the LCD, why do many people say they have scratched off a purpleish layer? Maybe some of the screens have been put on the wrong way up! With the anti-reflective layer on the outside!

Or maybe Im just confused moreso than usual.

I dont feel comfortable trying to fit a glas screen. But I know a warehouse near me where I may be able to scrounge up some Makralon (bullet proof plastic). DEFINITELY scratch resistant. No way that'll get cracked in my pocket!

Could i but some of this "bullet proof" plastic ,Lol not tryin to be funnty or anythin but is a company really gonna sell a 3.5 " pirece of plastic on its own?

frolik posted on Dec 30 2003 at 11:31 AM said:
I'm really tempted to do this. But do you think the glass will be more breakable, say, if your gp32 is in your pocket, and if it were to break it could damage the flu behind it?

So all I'm really asking is, have you used this for long, and is it recommended?
2mm glass is VERY strong (I think you'd have to hit it with a hammer to break it !) and because it doesn't flex there's far less likelihood of it damaging the LCD screen behind.
I've had mine installed for about 3-4 months, and no problems, no dust, no scratches, and just a quick wipe to clean it - definitely recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
heh, I'm not the most careful owner.... nakedness would be extremely hazardous for me!

If I can source the glass and someone to cut it for me I'll go for it, cheers for the tips, reeced

Dusty with a front light is nasty :blink: ! I remember my Afterburner :Sudders:

Prise the screen off SLOWLY with a small penknife, blow out the dust with a can of compressed air, find how the dust got in in the first place, and use a small amount of that magic stuff (white tac ;)) to fill any gaps.

EdZ posted on Dec 30 2003 at 12:19 PM said:
But I know a warehouse near me where I may be able to scrounge up some Makralon (bullet proof plastic). DEFINITELY scratch resistant.
Keep it in your shirt pocket incase anyone shoots you in the heart.

Vimacs posted on Dec 30 2003 at 07:43 PM said:
if you are in germany "blue tack" is named "Fixierknete" and "Uhu Tac"
sorry, to bring up such an old topic, but im thinking about replacing teh screen of my GP32 (non FLU). Do i need this White Tack to seal my Screen? Is it recommended? And if one of those questions is yes, then i´ve got a question for Vimacs:

Is "Fixierknete" also called "Kit"?

Back