Gp32 British Meetup Mk Ii

Axeman

Axemeister
Website
Visit site
* I've posted this as a new thread so that people dont have to go through the other thread to get to this info - Please can you post here from now on about this, as gauging the level of interest for this is very important *

Hiya all,

Well! Nice to see interest growing again. I'm sorry that last years meet didnt happen, but life has kind of taken over since then. When I organized the first meetup, I had much more spare time!

In fact, a lot of you may have noticed I've been a lot quieter recently altogether (hell, I even lost my top poster position which I held for about 20 months!). My job has got a lot more busy, and I now have a hell of a lot more responsibility, meaning that other things have been put on the back burner, including, unfortunately, my involvement in the GP32 scene :(. That may be changing though ;)

Various Venues have been talked about, with various places mentioned, and the midlands turning out quite popular...

HOWEVER

Myself and Craigix have had what we could call a bit of a chat. There is a chance (and only a chance at the moment), that something damned interesting may be around the corner. I cant reveal any details as of yet, as it may not happen, and depends on various things going to plan. BUT - if it all comes through, there could be one good event ahead.

Like I said - no promises, but whether it is feasable or not should be known in the next few weeks.

Lets just say that if it happened the event would be GP32/Retro Gaming/Retro Computers combined thing.

I'll soon be setting up a website a-la the last Brit Meetup to gauge interest, but to get an initial idea, please post here too. It would all be happening in County Durham, which is quite a lot further North than most of you have been talking about, but hopefully, if this actually can happen, it'll be worth that extra journey for the Southerners.

I'll post once the website is up, and we'll see how it goes!

And like I said - nothing is anywhere near fixed yet. This all depends on a number of factors, as well as on the level of interest...

sensible GP32 posted on Feb 3 2005 at 11:59 PM said:
aye i'd be there. if only to look at somones psp :lol:
One of the main reasons I'm going, I'll be that annoying little cousin you never had.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offence Axeman, but nothing happened with last year's meet-up. What can you do to assure us that something will come of these plans, or are we just wasting our time?

Depends on where and when for me.. but if that 'extra' is something that I would be interested in then the previous two factors dont count ;)

I'm there, just as long as you also 17 year olds in. I can't wait, I'm very north so I could easily get there. I might even be able to drive by the time this comes around, just need to pray I get the job tonight so I can start getting lessons.

Rico posted on Feb 4 2005 at 03:05 AM said:
No offence Axeman, but nothing happened with last year's meet-up. What can you do to assure us that something will come of these plans, or are we just wasting our time?

Excuse me Rico, but it isn't a legal requirement for me to organize these things. Events simply didnt transpire last year that facilitated this happening. In what way would I be wasting your time? So, you'd post a few times in a suggeston thread, or get your hopes up a little, but nothing that's going to cause you much grief.

The first one took a lot of organizing (and it turned out quite well, as you know), and it all ended up being down to me with a little help from a few others (to sort venue etc), so I know when I should commit, and when it may not be the right time to. Last time, Lik-Sang were sponsers of the event in the main, which meant I had to negotiate a deal with them to get prizes etc for competitions/draws etc on the day. Trying to convince a large Hong-Kong based company to help you with a small Britih meet-up is no easy task. Getting them to do it two years in a row, is even more difficult. I know it isn't vital to have a sponsor as such, but it certainly helps, and the reponsibility to follow the first year, and follow it well, is actually quite high (even though it may not seem like it).

The simple answer is, like I said plainly above, I CANT YET GUARANTEE ANYTHING. These plans, if they go ahead, will be fine, but it depends on many things that are totally out of my control, and are to do with Craig.

It takes quite a lot of organizing and time to get these things going, and I'd appreciate a little understanding when things dont always go as planned, and see you this year (if it goes ahead).

Cheers, and see you this year (if, as we all hope, it comes to fruition).

Sorry, I came across a bit too confrontational in that post. Really I was just curious if you had more free time etc. to make this more likely to happen. I of course am quite looking forward to a meet-up if it goes ahead.

I'd imagine Lik-Sang will be reluctant to sponsor you with the whole BLU+ issue going on, but you might get to lucky. Good to know you're conversing with craig instead.

Rico posted on Feb 4 2005 at 10:37 AM said:
Sorry, I came across a bit too confrontational in that post. Really I was just curious if you had more free time etc. to make this more likely to happen. I of course am quite looking forward to a meet-up if it goes ahead.

I'd imagine Lik-Sang will be reluctant to sponsor you with the whole BLU+ issue going on, but you might get to lucky. Good to know you're conversing with craig instead.

No Probs, just sounded a little harsh, thats all!

Anyway,like I said, should have a simple website up soon for people to register interest. If all goes to plan, it WILL be possible with enough interest.

Axeman posted on Feb 4 2005 at 12:30 PM said:
Rico posted on Feb 4 2005 at 10:37 AM said:

No Probs, just sounded a little harsh, thats all!

Anyway,like I said, should have a simple website up soon for people to register interest. If all goes to plan, it WILL be possible with enough interest.
Woohoo!

Back