Gp2x With A D-pad.

nik166 posted on Sep 3 2006 at 12:35 PM said:
so your pad is 8 way ?
(here we go again...) 4 way D-pads give 8 way control on the GP2x, ie diagonals too. Work perfectly, blah, blah (said many times before), blah, blah. Covered in detail in previous posts! Anyway, your Nintendo pads are only 4 way! blah, blah, blah.

Last edited by a moderator:
nik166 posted on Sep 3 2006 at 04:49 AM said:
bacteria posted on Sep 3 2006 at 08:52 AM said:
Nintendo pads come in different sizes and heights; the Gameboy one you show is a good size. If you really wanted to go small, the mobile unit (handheld) from the Dreamcast is very small (smallest one I have seen)

ah yeah i forgot the VMU thingy
but that's way too small really :D

the GBC one looks just perfect from outside, i'll see how it 's like from inside,
i also have an old game&watch with a small cross, but i think it would be criminal to dismount it :p
there is still snes and nes to try! :]

I hadn't even thought of the VMU. Huh.

I have one right here, and while I don't have a GP2X at the moment, I believe that the VMU D-Pad could actually fit through the existing hole in the case without cutting or filing. :blink:

jmetal88 posted on Sep 3 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
nik166 posted on Sep 3 2006 at 04:49 AM said:
bacteria posted on Sep 3 2006 at 08:52 AM said:
Nintendo pads come in different sizes and heights; the Gameboy one you show is a good size. If you really wanted to go small, the mobile unit (handheld) from the Dreamcast is very small (smallest one I have seen)

ah yeah i forgot the VMU thingy
but that's way too small really :D

the GBC one looks just perfect from outside, i'll see how it 's like from inside,
i also have an old game&watch with a small cross, but i think it would be criminal to dismount it :p
there is still snes and nes to try! :]

I hadn't even thought of the VMU. Huh.

I have one right here, and while I don't have a GP2X at the moment, I believe that the VMU D-Pad could actually fit through the existing hole in the case without cutting or filing. :blink:
But teh chao game :eek:

gpcrosses.jpg

you see the hole :D

yeah but right now i'm exploring the super nes one, it's not impossible! :D (the biggest one on the picture)

certainly a little tricky but i'm quite positive it can fit ! :D without interfering with the screen (psp style:p ) or anything like that! :]

nik166 posted on Sep 3 2006 at 02:08 PM said:
yeah but right now i'm exploring the super nes one, it's not impossible! :D (the biggest one on the picture)

certainly a little tricky but i'm quite positive it can fit ! :D without interfering with the screen (psp style:p ) or anything like that! :]
Don't forget, it isn't just the size of the D-pad, it is the size of the rubber pad underneath, and the PCB under it (which is bigger still). You are also restricted as to mounting it and positioning it on the motherboard. Tight, to say the least, and this process introduces many problems. This is the complicated way, using this type of D-pad; fraught with installation problems, but good luck anyway!

bacteria posted on Sep 3 2006 at 01:23 PM said:
Don't forget, it isn't just the size of the D-pad, it is the size of the rubber pad underneath, and the PCB under it (which is bigger still).

yupyup, i'm totally aware of that, it can fit!

it will be very tight but it's possible , i think it's the maximum possible anyway , but it would fit so precisely it's like if it was already planned :D (the snes cross is larger, but thinner than the NES cross, so it would be less problematic to fit in the GP's thickness i think... ) i'll have to make test modules with PCB to check the global size i just wish i had some spare gp2x covers to make "beta" experiments....

nik, dont forget that when you snap on the side of the gp2x housing it will overlap onto the front housing a little bit. When i installed my gamecube dpad, it took a little trimming on the sides as well. I think the SNES pad would be much to large. Your best bet IMO would be the gameboy color pad. You'll just have to make your own pcb.

the border is not in the way, i even think it HELPS to fit a larger PCB and rubber since it's a bit larger inside :]

i'm more and more sure SNES would pass,

BUT with a NES rubber (it also gives a better touch i think .. but it's a personal opinion :D)
the gameboy rubber also fits the snes cross, but it gives a too loose feeling i think... i'll have to try 'ingame" and compare what's besti'll take wires out the GP and make an external module for experimenting the feeling :)

is there a joystick pinout somewhere? :D

Just thought that I would mention that I am VERY interested in a D-Pad replacement kit, DaveC. The only catch is that I don't have the means to make the faceplate modification. Does anybody have any plans to provide a D-Pad replacement service? Because, I am very eager to play games on my 2x with a pad instead of the joystick.

someday i bet some maker will provide a gp2x modding kit, including a custom faceplate and etc like gp32's light kits before it became standard etc :)

TheGrandPubaa posted on Sep 3 2006 at 07:33 PM said:
Just thought that I would mention that I am VERY interested in a D-Pad replacement kit, DaveC. The only catch is that I don't have the means to make the faceplate modification. Does anybody have any plans to provide a D-Pad replacement service? Because, I am very eager to play games on my 2x with a pad instead of the joystick.

My kit would come with a steel template (I actually had a prototype laser cut and it works great). You would snap onto the front raised circle and then tape it down. Then carve away! the steel template keeps the size and roundness of the hole perfect. When done cutting pull off the template and voila! perfect circle. I tested on my GP2X M2 and it works.

Back