Gp2x With D-pad?

Dr_Ian said:
DaveC said:
Then why does everyone else with a console other than Nintendo have a D-pad? I don't see any of them being sued ;) Sounds like GPH is just lazy. It was only the "+" that you can't do.
The Genesis, the Saturn and the Xboxeshave a circular d-pad and the Playstation(s) have a broken up d-pad. They don't count. The only odd one out that comes to mind is the Dreamcast which really does have a standard d-pad.

They don't count? How is that, it is still a D-pad , not a stick ;) I never heard that it has to be a "+" shape in order to be considered a d-pad, that is a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the additional (or even two) analog sticks could be a much more notable than a just one DPAD( for flight/car simulators and CAD systems).
Me also dream about rumble stuff into SD card slot :)

craigix said:
Yep, 'When it's done' is exactly right on this new one.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that I will have to get rid of my psp to get this one. :p Please, just tell us this - Is it a physical modification or a completely new system? I don't care about specs right now, I just want to know!

craigix said:
Yep, 'When it's done' is exactly right on this new one.

AHA!

so there IS a new GP2X coming out!!

Come on Craig, spill the deets man.

DaveC said:
They don't count? How is that, it is still a D-pad , not a stick ;) I never heard that it has to be a "+" shape in order to be considered a d-pad, that is a new one.
Because that is the way these patent things work. You patent a + design, you have a protected + design. Other companies may be arbitrarily close to this +, by making it circular or by breaking up the + or whatever, and hope that they don't step across the invisible line where some court suddenly will rule it to be a patent violation. If they do, they fail - It's the console company version of chicken racing.

Then again, of course, these other companies may patent their designs in turn (actually, I think that patent isn't the proper term her, but rather something like "registered design", but that is just detail), and then we get multi-target chicken racing. If you are a bunch of big companies, you keep each other in a kind of balance of terror this way - Nintendo might actually try to sue Sony over the broken + thing, and might win, but then in turn Sony has a patent on something that is very close to something Nintendo sells, and so everyone refrains from to blatant copying and from suing, lest it all comes crashing down.

Small companies, however, have no protective portofolio of applicable patents to bargain with. Thus, they get sued if they come within shouting distance of anything protected. And even if they'd win, in the end, they will be bankrupt from the legal fees long before the judgement. Therefore, you thread on very safe ground.

So Terrorists are selling dpad-modificated GP2X consoles? Me confuzed about threat!

D-Pad! YAY! Hopefully there's some native SDHC & some type of battery conservation type thingy. WHOOOOO! *Runs to get Paycheck*

sweet news .... thanks for passing on what you could so far craig.... Just knowing this platform isn't going to die is AWESOME!! Make sure you flow info in the right order....don't want to piss off a bunch of great developers here by suprising them with anything drastic, oh and this DOES NOT give anyone the right to stop their current projects that satisfy my gaming needs!! j/k

oh and DaveC, I tried locating and calling mfr on those parts you need for dpad mods, nothing positive so far, curse volume requirements! The main guy that was helping me with pins (arcade vendor) and my best bud passed away this last April. So haven't been real motivated, apologies.

Well hopefully any hardware upgrades won't affect backwards compatibility.

Even though I wouldn't buy another hardware revision for as long as my MK2 stayed alive (<3), I think this could breathe new life in the system overall, if for nothing else then for the new wave of press publicity. Speaking of new versions, is there any word on the aluminum-cased anniversary version, Craig? I remember seeing a 'photo' of a Panda GP2X, is that on the line or just a fan-pic?

I wish GPH & affiliates the best of luck with this, the GP2X scene will live forever damn it :)

AtracPlayer said:
D-Pad! YAY! Hopefully there's some native SDHC & some type of battery conservation type thingy. WHOOOOO! *Runs to get Paycheck*
I prefere a working SD DMA access, SDHC work on open2x so today it's not impossible.

Alex. said:
Well hopefully any hardware upgrades won't affect backwards compatibility.

Even though I wouldn't buy another hardware revision for as long as my MK2 stayed alive (<3), I think this could breathe new life in the system overall, if for nothing else then for the new wave of press publicity. Speaking of new versions, is there any word on the aluminum-cased anniversary version, Craig? I remember seeing a 'photo' of a Panda GP2X, is that on the line or just a fan-pic?

I wish GPH & affiliates the best of luck with this, the GP2X scene will live forever damn it :)
You have a MK2, I've a first edition :)
I would like some design correction in adding of joystick, a moving of DC & USB plug in another place than under ours hands !

craigix said:
I'm sure some devs already know ;)
Well it's an invitation to go on irc ...
:D

Craig, I know you have to be tight lipped, but if you have any input with the manufacturers, please ask them to give proper 320x240 or 640x480 tv output (PAL), stable picture; RBG would be excellent, otherwise good quality composite. Ta!

Ahh VGA Out!
(Indeed the S-Video out jitters, and I swear most TV's cut off 10% of the edge of the screen)

I'd rather no D-Pad models are released, simply for the fact that it would really irritate all the Mk.I / Mk.II owners who now have "the sucky" version.

However a D-pad Retrofitting service would be acceptable, (or possibly a trade-in discount)

Back