Gp2x... What Does It Do?

Krooner

Still Fresh
Hi all saw a GP2X in my local 'Cash Generator' window £24.99!!! No box or instructions, no SD card but very cheap!

I know that it can play Divx and such but TBH I feel kind of lost with it! Where do I start!??

Am I in for a treat?

Krooner

Krooner said:
Hi all saw a GP2X in my local 'Cash Generator' window £24.99!!! No box or instructions, no SD card but very cheap!

I know that it can play Divx and such but TBH I feel kind of lost with it! Where do I start!??

Am I in for a treat?

Krooner
For 24.99 you might be in for a scam. I'd make absolutely certain that it's in working order for that kind of price.

If the offer is legit, then your best bet is to check out some reviews. CNET has a decent one, and if you just google the phrase "GP2X review" you'll find plenty more.

If you're still not convinced, then check out the GP2X wiki and file archive. That should give you a solid grasp of it's capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome,

I think you maybe in for quite a treat, Have a look HERE to give you an idea of the type and variety of software available for the GP2x, Thus giving you an idea of what is possible with this little thing.

Just a short note, Some of the software available on the GP2x file archive are at various stages of completion (especially emulators), So if you don`t set your expectations too high, You WILL be in for a VERY big treat.

Another thing, Do test the GP2x you plan to purchase, Just to make sure that it is all working good and you are able to get it to the menu, As there could be a small chance that it could be a bricked unit. Which, Without the right knowledge and hardware, Can be a complete nightmare to correct.

Oh, Get some good quality high Mah rechargeable batteries and a good charger and a decent sized SD card while you are at it.

Trooper

For 24.99 you might be in for a scam. I'd make absolutely certain that it's in working order for that kind of price.

If the offer is legit, then your best bet is to check out some reviews. CNET has a decent one, and if you just google the phrase "GP2X review" you'll find plenty more.

If you're still not convinced, then check out the GP2X wiki and file archive. That should give you a solid grasp of it's capabilities.

I tested it in store snapped it up obvi, 6 month guarentee.Who ever had it first must have taken care of it apart from losing the box and all! It had a screen cover on it! It was so cheap as no one in the store actually knew what it was

Thanks for the links

man, then you made an amazing deal! Good luck and have lots of fun with it! It's a really cool gadget and I have been enjoying mine very much.

Krooner said:

Am I in for a treat?

Krooner

DUDE!! that is the deal of the CENTURY!!! My god i wish mine was that cheap. I wonder what version it is, or what version firmware it has in it.

Just keep in mind that while somethings aren't perfect, All emulators do work and most work very very well.

Some of the homebrew games to try would be SQDEF, and Mini-Games. Those are a ton of fun.

It also depends what Sysatem u have stuff for, like what Roms u have, if you have any old DOS games, if u have a recent MAME Game set.

I have well over 2000 games on mine, plus some videos, mp3's and some books as well, and it plays all of them well. I love mine.

DSR

DUDE!! that is the deal of the CENTURY!!! My god i wish mine was that cheap. I wonder what version it is, or what version firmware it has in it.

Just keep in mind that while somethings aren't perfect, All emulators do work and most work very very well.

Some of the homebrew games to try would be SQDEF, and Mini-Games. Those are a ton of fun.

It also depends what Sysatem u have stuff for, like what Roms u have, if you have any old DOS games, if u have a recent MAME Game set.

I have well over 2000 games on mine, plus some videos, mp3's and some books as well, and it plays all of them well. I love mine.

DSR

Not sure which version but the firmware is 2.1.1 I'l be updating it to the latest ASAP unless there's a reason not to?

i like Shmups so am very happy to see CPS2 emulation...

You are lucky, be sure to check out all of the homebrew, (especially from Ruckage).

You can play Sega Game Gear/Master system/Genesis/Megadrive, SegaCD all in fullspeed with the right emulator! (Picodrive?)

Simon Tatham's puzzle collection is being ported over, I haven't tried it for a while, but I hear it keeps getting better and better.

MP3 Player and Dvix/Xvid player, these work, after a fashion, and it is cool to watch vids on the system.

Definitely stick with 2.1.1 firmware. Later firmware is crap and many people brick their units also.

The only update you might want to do is 'SDHC support for GP2X 2.1.1 firmware kernel'. Lets you use cards 8GB and over (as well as 4GB SDHC).

http://notaz.gp2x.de/other.php

norm said:
congrats on the bargain, defiantly check out cave story (link in my signature :D )
A bit OT but is Cave story working on F200s yet? last I heard it didn't work, or had bugs.

DaveC said:
norm said:
congrats on the bargain, defiantly check out cave story (link in my signature :D )
A bit OT but is Cave story working on F200s yet? last I heard it didn't work, or had bugs.

It worked on mine. I didn't play it much so I don't know about any bugs.

PlopperZ said:
DaveC said:
norm said:

It worked on mine. I didn't play it much so I don't know about any bugs.

i never even heard of cavestory before this thread, I downloaded it for my f-200 and will report back what I think tomorrow.

Thanks everone I'll be sure to check out Cave Story!

Anyone know if 'Snatcher is playable on Picodrive? Are there any GUIs for windows that would detect the GP2x and allow me to drag and drop files onto it? I've not got a card reader so am having to use my digital camera... bit of a pain.

Krooner said:
Thanks everone I'll be sure to check out Cave Story!

Anyone know if 'Snatcher is playable on Picodrive? Are there any GUIs for windows that would detect the GP2x and allow me to drag and drop files onto it? I've not got a card reader so am having to use my digital camera... bit of a pain.
You not got USB lead for GP2x? Just put your card in gp2x and should come up as a standard harddrive I think.

:) Anyway if not, I presume your from UK, have a look out in pound shops and the like, I got 2 from a pound land the other day, they were SD to USB and work great! Make sure you get one that reads and writes though.

My linux box wasnt working with the SD reader in my machine proporly so I had to get one of these. :)

I've got a few of the GP Usb leads as they're standard cable (My mobile uses on) But windows won't recognise it I imagine it's a case of drivers being missing but I didn't get the GP2X CD-rom so am a bit stuck...

Thanks for the info though, I'll check out poundland tomorrow

Krooner said:
I've got a few of the GP Usb leads as they're standard cable (My mobile uses on) But windows won't recognise it I imagine it's a case of drivers being missing but I didn't get the GP2X CD-rom so am a bit stuck...
Drivers are only necessary if you're running Windows 98.

I also recommend that you go the SD card reader route it'll save you a lot of headaches.

Wow that is an absolutely amazing deal. I paid $110 shipped for a used one in October last year.

Yeah, you'd better get a SD card reader. USB support is very erratic.

Wow...I never knew CNET reviewed the GP2X. Pretty crazy stuff.

Back