Gp2x Questions

lemoncurdstevey

Still Fresh
hey...
i'm as new as new can be.... ordered my gp2x literally 10mins ago.

had a quick look around and figured i'd ask some potentially straightforward questions..........
appreciate your guidance. :)

1) i ordered my gp2x from the official gp2x.co.uk website and i ordered the tv out adaptor on the site. it mentions that the tv-out sockets are female....... do i need extra stuff to plug it in s-video style?
2) a usb external hard disc ... what file system should it be formatted to? (if required) FAT/NTFS/something else?
3) i'm a bit worried about my order..... the gp2x does come with the sdk's and other stuff as per the website right?
4) developer bob and commercial bob ??? whats the difference? (i know what a bob is too :) )
5) any more commercial sd games? other than payback and vektor?
6) gp32x? is that less powerful than the gp2x? is it worth getting both? (its my birthday and i love tech stuff plus i love games plus i love developing. can't wait to get into the SDK!)
7) any other accessories that are required to improve my experience? (i got the batts/charger, commercial bob, payback game, 2 x 4gb sd cards and the carry case stuff)
8) someone mentioned on here that the gp2x is comparable in cpu power to the sega dreamcast. if thats the case then has someone with silky programming skills developed a dreamcast emulator? *drools at the thought of shenmue handheld style*

appreciate all your help dudes. :) peace out :)

steveyrocksdude said:
hey...

had a quick look around and figured i'd ask some potentially straightforward questions..........

1) i ordered my gp2x from the official gp2x.co.uk website and i ordered the tv out adaptor on the site. it mentions that the tv-out sockets are female....... do i need extra stuff to plug it in s-video style?
2) a usb external hard disc ... what file system should it be formatted to? (if required) FAT/NTFS/something else?
3) i'm a bit worried about my order..... the gp2x does come with the sdk's and other stuff as per the website right?
4) developer bob and commercial bob ??? whats the difference? (i know what a bob is too :) )
6) gp32x? is that less powerful than the gp2x? is it worth getting both? (its my birthday and i love tech stuff plus i love games plus i love developing. can't wait to get into the SDK!)
7) any other accessories that are required to improve my experience? (i got the batts/charger, commercial bob, payback game, 2 x 4gb sd cards and the carry case stuff)
8) someone mentioned on here that the gp2x is comparable in cpu power to the sega dreamcast. if thats the case then has someone with silky programming skills developed a dreamcast emulator? *drools at the thought of shenmue handheld style*

1)your going to want a s video extension..
2)??, do you mean sd? if so, the I like Fat32
3)yeah, or you can just download it
4)developer is a board (like a motherboard) the commercial bob is more like a cradel, it (commercial)
is not out yet <_<
5)don't believe so, but for commercial games there is also retrovirus
6)... you mean gp32? stick with gp2x, it will soon emulate gp32
7) how the [****] did you get the commercial bob!?
8)[****] no! if lucky we will get gba emulation, whoever said that was a tard

welcome to the world of gp2x :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome
1) You'll have to buy an Svid extension cable male to male (I think... it's best to see when your adaptor arrives.)
2) FAT32 and NOT NTFS.
3) http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Main_Page , There's a page that will get you going with a devkit.
4) devbob is just a naked board... commercial bob has plastic casing and is like a dock.
5) Retrovirus :)
6) gp32x doesn't exist... GP32 is less powerful than the 2X, I wouldn't bother with it unless you want to collect it, it's supposed to be a good console though... but I don't have 1st-hand experience of that.
7) Nothing springs to mind just yet...
8) That ain't happenin' We don't have a PowerVR 3D accelerator!

purple_goat said:
steveyrocksdude said:
hey...

1)your going to want a s video extension..
2)??, do you mean sd? if so, the I like Fat32
3)yeah, or you can just download it
4)developer is a board (like a motherboard) the commercial bob is more like a cradel, it (commercial)
is not out yet <_<
5)don't believe so, but for commercial games there is also retrovirus
6)... you mean gp32? stick with gp2x, it will soon emulate gp32
7) how the [****] did you get the commercial bob!?
8)[****] no! if lucky we will get gba emulation, whoever said that was a tard

welcome to the world of gp2x :)

hey...
go here :-
http://gp2x.co.uk/gp2xbreakoutboard.html
in march when i first decided i wanted one of these babies all the screenshot displayed was the motherboard itself. they said they would restock april and then this new bob came out. i was like whoa!

am i like confusing the two dev and com bobs here? (referred to a cradle on the website...... hmmmmm :unsure: )

oh and doh with the DC question.... should've known that.. :blink:

What everyone believe here is that both the developer edition and the commercial edition of the BOB are both the same except for the casing of the commercial one, but no one is yet 100% sure, you can follow this topic, I guess it is were will people post their experiences with the commercial one:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...=41&t=36622

Reagarding what you might need, I recommend you get an AC adaptor for the commercial BOB (if it doesn't come with one) and maybe another AC adaptor (that makes it 2 x AC adaptors) for the unit itself, beside that, I guess you have everything you need and more.

appreciate all the answers guys.....

i have a usb hard disc at the moment which i use on my windows xp pro sp2 laptop quite happily. its jam packed with music, video and even some emulation.. can i simply plug this into the breaker board and access the info through the gp2x or do i have to format the drive to a linux-type file system????????

watching comparison videos now of the gp2x versus the competition :rolleyes: sweeeeeeeeeeet!

steveyrocksdude said:
appreciate all the answers guys.....

i have a usb hard disc at the moment which i use on my windows xp pro sp2 laptop quite happily. its jam packed with music, video and even some emulation.. can i simply plug this into the breaker board and access the info through the gp2x or do i have to format the drive to a linux-type file system????????

watching comparison videos now of the gp2x versus the competition :rolleyes: sweeeeeeeeeeet!
You need to partition and format your usb HDD to FAT32 (no larger than 30GB partitions)

TelcoLou said:
You need to partition and format your usb HDD to FAT32 (no larger than 30GB partitions)
That may be a limitation in Windows, but other operating systems will have no trouble going larger (a live Linux CD will let you format it with large partitions) and the GP2X should be able to read them.

Back