Gp2x Question About Gfx!

Macbeth

Website
kyuuseiki.deviantart.com
Hey guys,
Sorry if this question has been answered before, but may I ask:
The GP2X and the XGP, are they capable of like, displaying 3D graphics? Or is the correct term, "rendering" 3D graphics? I am not that technical with details on processors, RAM, et cetera, so I can't work out for myself if it could render 3D graphics.

Thank you!

Can't say much for the XGP except that they say it will (XGP is still considered vaporwear though.)

The GP2x cannot do hardware 3d rendering. However, software 3d rendering engines can be ported to the GP2x (like Quake 1.)

User space software 3d rendering engines are planed for release. See the link below.

http://www.gp2x.com/support/support_sugest...unho=19&part=00.

Macbeth posted on Oct 7 2005 at 02:41 PM said:
Hey guys,
  Sorry if this question has been answered before, but may I ask:
        The GP2X and the XGP, are they capable of like, displaying 3D graphics? Or is the correct term, "rendering" 3D graphics? I am not that technical with details on processors, RAM, et cetera, so I can't work out for myself if it could render 3D graphics.

Thank you!

From what I understand, the GP2X does not have 3D accelleration, nor does the CPU have a FPU. (which is used to acceleratoin floating point operations that is heavily needed in a 3d engine.)

So it can software render, which wont look even close to as smooth or gorgeous as a PSP can do 3D.

OH, the XPG, is supposed to have 3d acceleration, if it evers comes out.

EDIT: I be beaten.

Last edited by a moderator:
the XGP is being designed to play 3D games, the 2X is more of a Media Player with 2D gaming in mind, that's not to say it cant do 3D it's just not what it's intended for and thus isn't designed with the hardware in mind to make it easier.

You would think so, but as it stands the PSP has a good grip on the 3d handheld market, and seeing as the XGP is not intended as a device with community development or emulation in mind, its possible that it WON'T sell as well or get as much attention. It's market is already taken.

Ah, sorry, I think you may misunderstand, I meant to say that I think the 3D successor to the GP32 will sell more than the 2D Media version of the successor to GP32; alas you are correct, it is quite a shame that smaller companies always end up last.

Until XGP has some Game developers backing them, and a console on display, I have to say that I belive the GP2x will sell better. It (the GP2x) has community and a plethora of software at it's disposal, due to the nature of open development.

EDIT: Also, the only real competitors in it's market are either it's predecessor (the GP32), things no longer under development (the Zodiac), things that aren't nearly as flexible (all you single function PMPs out there), or things that are simply too expensive (the OQO @ ~$1900).

Macbeth posted on Oct 7 2005 at 04:13 AM said:
Ah, sorry, I think you may misunderstand, I meant to say that I think the 3D successor to the GP32 will sell more than the 2D Media version of the successor to GP32; alas you are correct, it is quite a shame that smaller companies always end up last.

The opposite is true. The 2D version is more popular. It will mostly be used for emus and homebrew games. It fills a niche in todays market.

I think the XGP (3D) one will totally bomb. Why ? because it is a "me-too" device that has the misfortune of attempting to compete with the PSP and DS for 3D games. It has some of the features of the PSP with none of the support. It is foolish of any small company to try to take on Sony or Nintendo and will end in failure.

Ah, I think I understand what you mean. Yes, if the 3D one can't emulate 2D as well as it's Alter Ego, then I wouldn't approach the 3D one. The 3D one would probably be more expensive aswell, and if the 2D one can emulator SNES, and GBA, then what's not to love? If the 3D one CAN emulate low graphic Playstation games (ala; FFVII), then I'd probably buy it, but not for 400 bloody quid.

Most people in this community seems to be mostly interested in GP2X. It have quite a lot of power and 2D acceleration so with time 2D emulation have great potential. Running on a linux OS and beeing cheaper then PSP as well as very open to developers are also very strong points.

XGP will have 3D acceleration but from what I've seen so far it wont be as powerfull as a PSP but cost about the same. The SDK will be included with the package but no one knows what it will be like to develop for nor does it seem to have any backing from the community at this point. It does have things like USB Host and WiFi support that many want for GP2X but may also be able to be solved through various solutions. We have seen a movie where they where showing off the design, looks a lot like a PSP but the screen is in a lid form but that can be rotated freely. At this point I'd be surpriced if it makes it outside of Korea.

Here's a comparison: http://www.gp32x.de/gp2x.php

From what I understand, the GP2X does not have 3D accelleration, nor does the CPU have a FPU. (which is used to acceleratoin floating point operations that is heavily needed in a 3d engine.)

Floating point isn't neccesairily needed in 3D. A technique exists called 'fixed point math' (as opposed to floating point) that works entirely with integer math. In fact, because this involves a lot of shifting bits around the ARM9 is better at this than some other processor types because it has special hardware that can do bitshifting for free on most instructions.

The XGP is simply going to be more expensive and carry too many functions that are useless to anyone outside of Korea for now. It will likely have an emulator or two but people are more concered with PSP which is likely a stronger system dispite the firmware issues and the GP2X which is the more direct sibling to the GP32 (at least the way it eventually became rather than it's begingings) in style design and general feel.

Yeah, compared to GP32 GP2X is far more similar then XGP. GP2X have a similar but more modern design with a few more buttons and a lot more power and the move to SD cards. The biggest difference between GP32 and GP2X is probably Linux, which like the rest is mostly for the better.

You only have to look at the 3D engine recently released (go down the news page a bit) to see the GP2X will easily be capable of impressive 3D.

Back