Gp2x Or Psp

Either way with either system, I find a card reader is a MUST. It is annoying and slow in almost all cases NOT using a card reader to transfer files. It was slow when I would connect the Zodiac (via Card Export), slow when I connected the PSP that way, and although I have never even tried it on the GP2X... I am guessing it would be slow there as well.

A card reader is something of a necessity in my opinion. Heck, most new PC's have built in card readers for this very reason. I would advise to get a Sandisk 15-in-1 reader. I have one of these and I have used it for nearly every type of flash media at one point or another. WELL worth the price ($15 I think?)

The same goes for this 1:1 pixel for emulation. It all depends on the person. I personally prefer to stretch to the full 4:3 (sometimes compromise 14:9) on the PSP as long as filtering is used. Without filtering I find it ugly even at 1:1. If you are one of the people who has orgasms about 1:1 pixel being emulated on screen, like certain people, then by all means don't get the PSP. I like it slightly blurred - TV like.

I'm definitely one of those people - I really dislike filtering on retro-games. I want to see the pixels!

sorry to jump into the convo a little late, but i've got a gp2x and a psp, and i play em both actively. all the technical arguments aside, if what you want is homebrew/emu and JUST homebrew/emu, go gp2x. sure, the psp has been hacked more or less, but it requires the older OS to run any emulator ive found, which will severely limit the number of actual UMD games you can play. as far as ease of use, i've had more luck with the psp. the system options and menus are kinda similar in learning curve, but the psp is a lot more stable. the gp2x is awesome, i got it long before i got my psp, and ill always use it, but the psp is my stand-by for daily gaming.

GP2X
Pros:
*great homebrew community
*something different
*feel like a part of something new and burgeoning
*cheap
*homebrew/emu are free (donations aside)

Cons:
*unstable at best
*hard to find good SD cards with large capacity that will work
*most emulators are still in beta phase; no really "completed" apps
*not a reputable company, so dont expect a ton of support.
*crap battery life, even with pricey rechargables.

PSP
Pros:
*widespread use
*as of late, more new and better games are being released
*tons of 3rd party products
*easy to find emulation software
*decent battery life

Cons:
*not designed for homebrew, so kiss your warranty goodbye
*$$$
*you'll feel like a corporate whore.

just my opinion. i love both of em equally, because the gp2x and psp, although both handheld, are two completely different platforms. i wanna know when someone is gonna hack the nintendo DS!!

Cons:
*unstable at best

• "At best" it's completely stable ... did you upgrade to 2.0 FW yet?
• Are you serious, or just severely uninformed??? Again, with 2.0 FW, I don't think compatability is an issue any longer ...
• GneoGeo seems pretty complete to me, the latest release had some bug fixes, but what emu is ever fully "complete"? Can you name some for the PSP?
• You're posting on the world's largest user-based support community. Idiot. See if $ony will provide you with help getting that N64 emu up and running at full-speed.
• I get 4-5 hours using my "ultra-expensive" Energizer 2500's, is the PSP that much better?

(Though I still stick with my original comment, I was compelled to quash these erroneous statements)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cons:
*unstable at best

• "At best" it's completely stable ... did you upgrade to 2.0 FW yet?
• Are you serious, or just severely uninformed??? Again, with 2.0 FW, I don't think compatability is an issue any longer ...
• GneoGeo seems pretty complete to me, the latest release had some bug fixes, but what emu is ever fully "complete"? Can you name some for the PSP?
• You're posting on the world's largest user-based support community. Idiot. See if $ony will provide you with help getting that N64 emu up and running at full-speed.
• I get 4-5 hours using my "ultra-expensive" Energizer 2500's, is the PSP that much better?

(Though I still stick with my original comment, I was compelled to quash these erroneous statements)

I fully agree, except for the little bit about the N64 emulator. Because, although Sony won't provide support for an N64 emulator, people here don't even want to ATTEMPT one.

But if you said basically any other emu, I'd wholly agree. ;) (I was planning on making a post that addressed those so-called 'Cons' until I read your post ^_^)

You guys, Troy the Great already posted that the PSP is better because of (a whole bunch of reasons he listed). His misinformation was about as rampant as what we'd find at QJ.NET, and from the tenor of his writing, he'd already closed his mind, so we're not helping anyone here anymore.

Enough clever people have posted enough insightful, true-to-life threads.

Troy wants a PSP because he wants a PSP.

I'm just happy I am raising my children to work on what they can know and deduce, and not to live on gut feelings their whole lives. There's a time and a place for gut feelings, and it usually has to do with deigning other people's intentions or quick decisions, but it's no way to select an HDTV that costs thousands, let alone a handheld.

I fully agree, except for the little bit about the N64 emulator. Because, although Sony won't provide support for an N64 emulator, people here don't even want to ATTEMPT one.
The same can be said of the PSP. Has anyone over there attempted a PS1 emulator, aside from Sony's RIIIIDGE RACER?

The same can be said of the PSP. Has anyone over there attempted a PS1 emulator, aside from Sony's RIIIIDGE RACER?

That's true, but he didn't MENTION a PS1 emu, now did he? (that's the point I'm trying to make. If he said something like NeoGeo, or Genesis, or SNES, or something it would work)

Cons:
*unstable at best

Whoah, you must really be out of the loop!

The Mk2 and Firmware 2.0 have solved just about all the problems with the GP2X. To your specific cons:

1) My Mk2 is extremely stable. No idea about older firmwares.
2) Again, fw2.0 fixes this. Not an issue any more.
3) Utter rubbish. What about OutcaST, DrMDX, MAME, VICE2X, Alexkidd2X and others? All are very polished and "complete".
4) You receive support directly from the distributors, and the open source community. Try telling me Sony's reputation/support is better than that! One word: rootkit.
5) Er, my $7 rechargable AA's last 5 hours, which is a couple of hours longer than a homebrew-overclocked PSP does, and then I can just insert another $7 pair of batteries to extend that, ad infinitum.

Sorry, just had to correct that outdated misinformation. A lot of good stuff has happened to the GP2X for/since its "official release".

5) Er, my $7 batteries last 5 hours, which is a couple of hours longer than a homebrew-overclocked PSP does, and then I can just insert another $7 pair of batteries to extend that, ad infinitum.
Just to make this clearer, he is referring to $7 RECHARGABLE batteries (at least I'm assuming he is, as that is about the same as mine)

I don't believe that anyone has mentioned the major downfall of the PSP, the crappy LCD, I don't mean the ghosting either.

I played one and I was completely apalled by the blocky/patchy quality of the contrast, think Samsung LCD TV's, the color washes out and won't go to actual black, there are steps in the color that are unacceptable, it wasn't very noticable on the commercial games, likely because they were coded to sidestep and cover up the issue.

I know many people cannot see the difference, but it pisses me off to no end, I don't know how people can spend that much on a PSP or an LCD HDTV and be willing to put up with the lousy quality.

I am the most upset because everyone is sending the message to the manufacturers of these devices that they are willing to pay out for this crap, and in fact that they can't even see the difference, I can't even find unbiased reviews that actually tell me how to sidestep the crap because no-one appears to care.

The Koreans used off-the-shelf cheapo LCDs and we can only assume Sony is using cheaper components in that area.

PSP screen sucks so bad, if you are blind you won't notice.
GP2X has better screen.

PSP TV-Out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: whew, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Troy wants a PSP because he wants a PSP.

It does sound this way.

He did post around on different boards trying to get all opinions. Kind of scientific but I think he was just expecting everyone to confirm his already made decision and say "get the PSP it is way better".

Well Troy, have fun with the PSP.

Acctually your wrong, I thought heck If I could have a cool machine like the PSP with Homebrew and Commercial stuff at once I am going to go with that over the Gp2x anyday. But then you guys really got me thinking and I have decided to get a Gp2x. Why? 1. reason. Because although PsP is alittle better at the time being (In my opinion from everything I have read and seen), but Gp2x is made for homebrew and Psp homebrew is being fought against by its creators. So the way I see it Gp2x has a brighter future as while as a great community. So I might accutually order one tonight. Hope your happy and thanks for all your help. I am glad to be joining your community.

-Angain, a poor High school gamer

Acctually your wrong, I thought heck If I could have a cool machine like the PSP with Homebrew and Commercial stuff at once I am going to go with that over the Gp2x anyday. But then you guys really got me thinking and I have decided to get a Gp2x. Why? 1. reason. Because although PsP is alittle better at the time being (In my opinion from everything I have read and seen), but Gp2x is made for homebrew and Psp homebrew is being fought against by its creators. So the way I see it Gp2x has a brighter future as while as a great community. So I might accutually order one tonight. Hope your happy and thanks for all your help. I am glad to be joining your community.

-Angain, a poor High school gamer

Hope you are happy. It doesn't effect any of us which one you get. I actually have a PSP as well as a GP2X. I haven't used the PSP for emus much because I hate the screen stretching and ghosting. It is a nice machine for commercial games though if you don't mind coughing up $20-$40 for 1 game.

I would suggest the biggest SD card you can afford. 4 Gig ones are really reccommended if you want to fill it with tons of ROMs (especially NeoGeo). You can get "A-data" 4 gig cards on eBay for less than $100.00 and they work well. Not all brands of 4 gig SD cards work though so be careful. It is like this with all devices not just the GP2X. My $500 digicam can't read a 4 gig card ;)

I would suggest the biggest SD card you can afford. 4 Gig ones are really reccommended if you want to fill it with tons of ROMs (especially NeoGeo). You can get "A-data" 4 gig cards on eBay for less than $100.00 and they work well. Not all brands of 4 gig SD cards work though so be careful. It is like this with all devices not just the GP2X. My $500 digicam can't read a 4 gig card ;)
Yep, 4GB is the way to go. I originally bought a 1GB, and then I bought a 2GB and about a week later the price of the 4GB was as low as what I paid for the 2GB (and I thought I had a great deal on the 2GB . . .). I'm still thinking of buying a 4GB . . .

Hope you enjoy it :lol:

Seriously, I hacked my cousin's PSP for him and played around with it for ages while setting up his emus, etc. At the time it was nice, but when I got my GP2X it was so much better.

btw, my cousin never plays his PSP any more.

Edit: I can't believe how fast SD prices are falling! I bought a 1gb card a couple of months ago on discount, and already 2gb cards are the same price.

Back