Gp2x Or Psp

Hope you enjoy it :lol:

Seriously, I hacked my cousin's PSP for him and played around with it for ages while setting up his emus, etc. At the time it was nice, but when I got my GP2X it was so much better.

btw, my cousin never plays his PSP any more.

I wonder what it is with the PSP. When I got mine I was like WOW this thing roxxorz!! I used it alot for a couple of weeks for commercial games, tried a few emus here and there. I put it away though and haven't used it since. It is actually still at FW 1.5. It is not a bad system at all and I should use it more but I just don't feel the urge too, it is weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are really going to like the decision you made. The GP2X is an incredible device. I surely love it!

Hope you enjoy it :lol:

Seriously, I hacked my cousin's PSP for him and played around with it for ages while setting up his emus, etc. At the time it was nice, but when I got my GP2X it was so much better.

btw, my cousin never plays his PSP any more.

I wonder what it is with the PSP. When I got mine I was like WOW this thing roxxorz!! I used it alot for a couple of weeks for commercial games, tried a few emus here and there. I put it away though and haven't used it since. It is actually still at FW 1.5. It is not a bad system at all and I should use it more but I just don't feel the urge too, it is weird.

It's funny you shoudl say that. When I had the PSP, I had it completely set up with all of the available emulators and tons of roms ready to go. For some odd reason I just didn't want to play it much. I would "check out" an emulator, and then just pack the PSP away. Just something about it was a chore...or so it felt like. Odd. Thankfully I don;t get that feeling with the GP2X. Heck, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with the urge to power it up! :)

What would really bug me is if I had a post-2.0 firmware and had to boot GTA every time I wanted a quick blast on an emulator! Yikes.

Sometimes I think about getting a PSP (buying my cousin's) just for fun, but I don't see myself using it much... maybe when a truly great commercial game comes out on it (that isn't better on a regular PS2). A DS Lite on the other hand, is definitely on the cards :D

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ctCode=82502-19

is that a good card to get? Will it work for me?

and What is the deal with firmware updating, do I need a certain type of card to update, and will this card work?

Do I need a card reader? why or why not?

Any other accessorys you recommend?

How much is shipping from playasia.com to USA?

Yeah those work, it is what I use. You won't need to update any FW, it comes with the latest.

Card reader definetly. It is much faster to drag and drop files and folders than faffing with USB cables which are sloooower .

Other good accessories are good rechargeable NiMH batteries. The higher the MAh the better.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ctCode=82502-19

is that a good card to get? Will it work for me?

and What is the deal with firmware updating, do I need a certain type of card to update, and will this card work?

Do I need a card reader? why or why not?

Any other accessorys you recommend?

How much is shipping from playasia.com to USA?

Looks like a good card, it's fast too 150x

The New MK2 GP2X comes with Firmware 2.0 installed.

Some people infer that a card reader increases transfer times. Going to the GP2X straight works fine though.

Accessories you need:

- Pack of 4 AA 2500 mah nimh rechargables with charger ($20 For the Energizer at Wal-Mart)
- Power Adaptor (You'll need to find an extra power cable like the ones on the back on the Ps2 to use the one off of Play-Asia)
- Video out cable.
- Case (Although You could probably just find a velvet black "bag" for it)

Shipping to Canada was around $30, and it arrived in 2 days!

It's funny you shoudl say that. When I had the PSP, I had it completely set up with all of the available emulators and tons of roms ready to go. For some odd reason I just didn't want to play it much. I would "check out" an emulator, and then just pack the PSP away. Just something about it was a chore...or so it felt like. Odd. Thankfully I don;t get that feeling with the GP2X. Heck, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with the urge to power it up! :)

Actually I really never went mental with the emus on PSP as you know I am no fan of scaling. The one I used was mostly SNES because the Gp2X one was dodgy.

I mostly just bought a few games and played those. Hot shots was good and a few others but I seemed to just lose interest. It was annoying that it drained the battery so fast even when off (not standby) so I had to charge every time I went to use it, kind of a chore.

I would suggest the biggest SD card you can afford. 4 Gig ones are really reccommended if you want to fill it with tons of ROMs (especially NeoGeo). You can get "A-data" 4 gig cards on eBay for less than $100.00 and they work well. Not all brands of 4 gig SD cards work though so be careful. It is like this with all devices not just the GP2X. My $500 digicam can't read a 4 gig card ;)

I should hope so, Newegg.com sells the 150x 4GB A-Data SD for $85.99

You could clean up on ebay, sell ten of them and charge $10 each for shipping and then buy yourself a PSP with the profits :D

Newegg.com really has good prices though, usually beats eBay by about $20-$30 on most PC stuff. Shipping is good too.

Well I sent my order! For my Gp2x.

Bought:
Gp2x
case
screen cover
tv out
4gb sd card
card reader

Grand total: 324$

- A REALLY poor highschool gamer

*cough* this better be worth it *cough*

I know it will :D

Well I sent my order! For my Gp2x.

Troy! Glad to have you man - I was so sure you'd swing the other way out of inclination. I'm happy to be proved wrong!

I just bought this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820211319
A-DATA Turbo 4GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Media Model Turbo SD 150X 4G - Retail

It's listed on the Wiki
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SD_card_compatibility

Edit: Why did I suddenly spend $100 on an SD card?
Because my GP2X arrived yesterday and once I played around with it, I was able to judge whether it was best to buy 1gig, 2gig, or 4gig SD card. Basically, I had to own the system and try it out with my eldest daughter's 128mb SD card to see just how good it was and just how much I'd be using it. Well after staying up until 12:30AM playing Quake1 and trying (unsuccessfully) to get OpenBor working, and loading up a ton of Genesis ROMs, I had my answer.

The GP2X is literally better than I had hoped for with regards to how much I enjoy it.

If that screen socer's the hard plastic one, you won't need it just yet -- one comes pre-installed. But it's good to have a spare :)

Unless it's a soft one that goes over the current one?

It was the official gp2x screen protector. I bought it not realizing the gp2x has one pre-enstalled. I almost changed my order, but then I decided(like you said) it would be good to have an extra

It was the official gp2x screen protector. I bought it not realizing the gp2x has one pre-enstalled. I almost changed my order, but then I decided(like you said) it would be good to have an extra
Actually, I think the screen protector you order isn't the one included with the gp2x. The one included with the gp2x is a hard plastic cover that all game machines have over their screens to protect them. On top of this, they have a thin screen protector, but it is not very durable and it comes pre-scratched (it is intended to prevent the more premanent parts from coming pre-scratched). So you should take off their thin screen protector film and put the one you ordered on. I have exactly the same thing.

well i ordered my gp2x today also!
i had a gp32 and was part of the community and now i'm back!

hoping for full speed snes (which sadly didn't happen on the gp32 - that's why i originally bought it) and final fantasy 7,8,9 gran turismo etc in psx4gp2x! (hope we'll get full speed fs1!)

this comunity (especially the devs) rules!

everyone always mentions that SNES emulation isnt full speed yet i have never had a problem with SquidgeSNES. i think i had had one ROM which only ran full speed with sound turned off but all other ROMS work perfect with sound on

Back