Gp2x Or Psp

I have read that they just released a Neo Geo AES/MVS Emulator for the PSP. Problem is, it only supports roms less than 12mb because of the PSP's 32megs of RAM. Samurai Showdown 1 works, but all the Metal Slugs and basically all KOF's and newer (post 1995) fighters don't work at all. Streaming the video and audio data (like the GP2X) has been suggested, but hasn't/may not be implemented.

Heck, I can run Garou: Mark of the Wolves at 60fps with only minor slowdown on the GP2X which is unbelievable.

The PSP does have NEO GEO CD emulator which is pretty good, I hear. But can only run Metal Slug 1-2, up to Samurai Showdown 4, KOF 99 etc... And the CD format forced SNK to chop some animation in the games as well.. AND they are bigger files because of the iso/mp3 format.

Still, what kills the PSP is the "forced" firmware update when running newer games, which can disable your emulators. The only way around this is a modchip which will be $100 at least. Some deal.

Basically the GP2X is the ultimate retro emulator portable. With TV out, mp3, xvid, photoviewer it's a flippn must buy. If they get CPS2 up and running on the GP2X, I'll probably just die!!

I have read that they just released a Neo Geo AES/MVS Emulator for the PSP. Problem is, it only supports roms less than 12mb becaue of the PSP's 32megs of RAM. Samurai Showdown 1 works, but all the Metal Slugs and basically all KOF's and newer (post 1995) fighters don't work at all. Streaming the video and audio data (like the GP2X) has been suggested, but hasn't/may not be implemented.

Heck, I can run Garou: Mark of the Wolves at 60fps with only minor slowdown on the GP2X which is unbelievable.

The PSP does have NEO GEO CD emulator which is pretty good, I hear. But can only run Metal Slug 1-2, up to Samurai Showdown 4, KOF 99 etc... And the CD format forced SNK to chop some animation in the games as well.. AND they are bigger files because of the iso/mp3 format.

Still, what kills the PSP is the "forced" firmware update when running newer games, which can disable your emulators. The only way around this is a modchip which will be $100 at least. Some deal.

Basically the GP2X is the ultimate retro emulator portable. With TV out, mp3, xvid, photoviewer it's a flippn must buy. If they get CPS2 up and running on the GP2X, I'll probably just die!!
Ah, so it can still emulate Neo-Geo well through Neo CD (Which isn't THAT bad, especially with the awesome remixed, higher quality soundtracks and some exclusive titles)? That's good (Of course, AES/MVS is better, but Neo CD's still something good).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but you don't get to play these games on the PSP:

Samurai Showdown 5/SP
Metal Slug 2X-5
SNK vs Capcom
KOF 00-03
Rage of the Dragons
Power Instinct Matrimelee
Sengoku 3
Strikers 1945+
Prehistoric Isle II
Shock Troopers 1-2
Garou: Mark of the Wolves

;)

NeogeoCD emulation on the PSP is incredibly good I must say. Full speed, full sound....it was probably the best emulation experience I had on the device....aside the crap ass controller (again)

And I agree on the CPS2 deal. FBA ported to the GP2X would really hit the mark for me....

Yeah, but you don't get to play these games on the PSP:

Samurai Showdown 5/SP
Metal Slug 2X-5
SNK vs Capcom
KOF 00-03
Rage of the Dragons
Power Instinct Matrimelee
Sengoku 3
Strikers 1945+
Prehistoric Isle II
Shock Troopers 1-2
Garou: Mark of the Wolves

;)
And Blazing Star (And some others). But in turn you get better music and Ironclad. What I'm saying is that you still get Neo-Geo emulation with the PSP (I'm just trying to keep everything balanced for those that are looking for insight; let's face it, though the posts here aren't as biased as those on that PSP forum, some of these posts aren't exactly balanced). Basically, you'll still have lots of games to tide you over until the AES/MVS emulator gets better.

(BTW, this feels a little weird to be the only guy saying goods things about the PSP on a GP2X message board. I'm not a fanboy at all for either handheld, I'm just trying to clarify some things that might thwart people off at first sight, such as deadlychicken's post. We've got to try our best to give the OP the best possible solution for his problem, even if it might end up causing him to get a PSP)

Well, short answer is yes, Neogeo emulation (through NeogeoCD) on the PSP is darn near perfect. Not as many games can be played as AES/MVS, but you can still have a great Neogeo experience on the PSP to a certain degree.

This reason I bring up the controller issue again is because the console (Neogeo/CD that is) is well renowned for it;s fighting titles. They comprise much of the collection, and require diagonal movement....which as I stated earlier is a problem with the d-pad on the PSP. So, if you do not mind using the nub, yeah, you can have some Neo goodness on your PSP too. Still, IMHO, the best Neogeo emulation is right here on the GP2X.

I agree.

I actually did get to play Street Fighter 2 on the PSP (SNES Emu) and I could not pull off one fireball or dragon-punch with the d-pad. I was a big issue for me. GP2X, much better!

Again, don't get me wrong, if you want to play the cool 3D PSP games as well as get into the emu scene go for it on the PSP. I'd definately look into the firmware issue though before you buy.

For me though, the GP2X is THE BEST handheld I've ever bought.

Didn't SFA3 come with some kind of joystick attachment or something like that to solve the controls issue?

Don't get me wrong, the viewing angle on the PSP is ultimate! Although people have complained about blurriness with the motion on the screen. I thought it was a filter or something when I loaded up R-Type on the SNES emu. GP2X (MKII) doesn't have this problem with the refresh. Obviously the build quality is better too, I really liked how almost the whole front is covered in clear plastic.

Regarding Neo Geo, I've been lurking in some PSP message boards and they're saying because of the PSP's limited 32mb of ram, some large Neo Geo games may never be emulated. It's a tough one since the author of the Neo GEO CDZ emulator is Japanese so communicating with him can be difficult.

One big thing that turned me off on the PSP was a video on youtube.com showing that it took 7 minutes!!!! to load up and get into a match in Raw VS Smackdown 2006. WTF is that crap?

One big thing that turned me off on the PSP was a video on youtube.com showing that it took 7 minutes!!!! to load up and get into a match in Raw VS Smackdown 2006. WTF is that crap?
I remember something about that too, but I think it was most unique to just that game. Of course the PSP will have worse loading times than the GP2X has it has to read off of the UMDs, but I don't think most games have those kind of loading times.

Regarding Neo Geo, I've been lurking in some PSP message boards and they're saying because of the PSP's limited 32mb of ram, some large Neo Geo games may never be emulated. It's a tough one since the author of the Neo GEO CDZ emulator is Japanese so communicating with him can be difficult.
From what I understand, the developer add a cache system to stream gfx data from the memory stick, but as expected, roms with big sound data can't be loaded. With 64Mo, the gp2x have a big advantage in this aera.

And all of this has exactly "what" to do with the OP's original question?

Look, OP...If you're still there and not bored to death with all this....i'll repeat what I posted earlier, it sums things up in a nutshell without having to read all this "my console is better than yours" garbage.

But just to repeat....

All the following consoles have homebrew/emulation in one way or another, forget how good or bad it is...

PSP
GP2x
DS

So they all cancel themselves out here.

If you've got lots of disposable income, and you want lots of commercial games and the ability to watch movies on the move then buy a PSP. But bear in mind that your homebrew/emulation may be problematic to setup due to the firmware issues.

If you've got less disposable income, and you want lots of innovative commercial games then buy a DS. Bear in mind here that you'll need something along the lines of a supercard/superpass for the homebrew stuff (about £30 plus the cost of an sd/cf card)

If you want a non-restrictive homebrew/emulation experience, with the added bonus of good movie/music playback and aren't bothered by an almost complete lack of commercial games then go for a GP2x. This is by far the cheapest option on a long/medium term basis.

I suggest you need to decide what your main console use is going to be before picking one of the above.

And all of this has exactly "what" to do with the OP's original question?

Look, OP...If you're still there and not bored to death with all this....i'll repeat what I posted earlier, it sums things up in a nutshell without having to read all this "my console is better than yours" garbage.

[snip]

I suggest you need to decide what your main console use is going to be before picking one of the above.

Here, here!
I was going to say something similar but you beat me to it.

Some people have chosen the PSP (either over the GP2X or without knowing about the GP2X) and some have chosen the GP2X. Neither is "better" since they both do slightly different things - but a lot of features do overlap.
I do think the GP2X has a brighter future (mostly because GPH isn't trying to control the scene), but that's not of great relevance since you still have 1000s of games on both consoles, with the emulators.

People I know with a PSP have said that they've lost interest in the emulators now Sony have made it hard enough to be a hassle; but they didn't buy it for emu's, so that was always a bonus for them.

It's a pretty pointless discussion as noone is going to say anything to change anybodies mind.

I'm happy with my GP2X, and that's all there is to it.

For starters, I like to say I do not own a GP2X and have never seen one or touched one. I have had a GP32, GBA Advance and Zodiac. So the following comments relating to the PSP are based only on my experiences with the machines that I have owned. I hope they are not considered fanboi comments.

Actually the Megadrive emu (DGEN) on the PSP is on a par with the SNES emu (Yoyo's SnesPSP_TYL). These are the two best emulators on the PSP. Both run practically everything at 60fps (and sound) with frameskip at 0 or 1 - except for those requiring extra chips e.g F-Zero. SNES SF2Turbo runs at 60fps (skip 0) with full sound using the "ignore fixed color hack" (don't know what this is but nothing seems to look different with it on).

DGEN is in no way inferior to DrMD. It probably has all the same features as well as Wifi two player play (as does the SNES emu). I do not know why DGEN is so overlooked when compared with Yoyo's emu.

The NeocdPSP also runs most things at 60fps at frameskp 0/1. As far as emulating the NeoCD it does everything well enough. Too bad it only emulates NeoCDs. An MVS emu has just been released, but this is in early alpha stage and does not load larger roms currently. Hopefully the author would learn to stream roms like the GP2X version soon. It should not be too difficult since the author has already developed a capable NeoCD emulator.

I know the D-Pad on the PSP is shite. This is a really poor point with the PSP and is more annoying since I love SF2. Using the Dpad I could only do dragon punches at best 50% of times. FORTUNATELY I FIND the analog nub is great for doing dragon punches. I personally could pull off continuous DPs left or right (but this maybe due to me being a SF2 freak). I find it easier to use than the GP32 stick. I was never able to pull off such moves using the clicky stick. The Zodiac analog is crap compared to the PSP in this respect. The Dpad is great for games which do not require diagonals like Tetris or Ghouls'n'ghosts.

There is supposed to be a mod which you could do to the dpad which would help. It is to open up the PSP and stick a piece of card to the underside of the Dpad. This supposedly would enable diagonals to be pressed with less effort. I suppose this is akin to the GP32 mod where stuff was stuffed beind the stick.

Now for the ghosting or poor refresh rate of the PSP screen. Yep this is true. Whether if you would find it sick or unacceptable depends on the person. Personally I don't like it, but I don't find it too off putting. It is more noticeable in some games and less in others. Sometimes if you notice it you would keep looking for other instances of it and it would take up too much of your attention and you would never actually get into a game. Sometimes you get into a game and won't notice it. It is like having a dead pixel on your lcd (luckily my PSP is clear), once you latch onto it with your eyes it is always fixed on it. While some people don't care. It depends on the person.

The same goes for this 1:1 pixel for emulation. It all depends on the person. I personally prefer to stretch to the full 4:3 (sometimes compromise 14:9) on the PSP as long as filtering is used. Without filtering I find it ugly even at 1:1. If you are one of the people who has orgasms about 1:1 pixel being emulated on screen, like certain people, then by all means don't get the PSP. I like it slightly blurred - TV like.

UMD loading times could be long. Which is why one should backup their UMDs and run them from Memorystick Duos. This allows for minimal loading times as well as being able to compress ISOs storing several on a stick and saving battery life.

"Fingerprint City" could be overcome by getting a full screen shield. I just got a InvisibleShield which covers the whole front face. Now it is scratch resistant and almost invisible. It is also less prone to fingerprints. I know that it costs, but it is such a great product. Tried running a key like crazy across the front and it still can't get scratched.

Hope this helps.

The GP2X uses SD cards for storage compared to the Memory Stick Duo cards the PSP uses. SD cards are much cheaper and have greater storage capacity.

You can find 1GB SD cards for around 20-25 bucks on newegg. The cheapest 1GB Memory stick Duo I found was $39.99 I've seen 1GB Duo cards for $60-$80 at Walmart if you plan to buy your PSP that way.

If you want to use the GP2X to primary watch movies and TV shows on I would go with the one with the cheapest format, the DVD chip, and the one with more codecs.

There is also the issue about cost. All figures done without shipping.
PSP $200
1GB Memory stick Duo $40
Total $240

GP2X $170
2500MaH rechargable batteries+Charger $15
1GB SD card $20
SD Card Reader $5
Total $210

The GP2X doesn't have WI-FI built in. If you add the cheapest USB wifi adapter I could find it would bring the GP2X total to $220 + cost of the BOB or serial to usb cable.

I don't own a PSP so I cannot comment on the emulators on it.

The GP2X uses SD cards for storage compared to the Memory Stick Duo cards the PSP uses. SD cards are much cheaper and have greater storage capacity.

You can find 1GB SD cards for around 20-25 bucks on newegg. The cheapest 1GB Memory stick Duo I found was $39.99 I've seen 1GB Duo cards for $60-$80 at Walmart if you plan to buy your PSP that way.

If you want to use the GP2X to primary watch movies and TV shows on I would go with the one with the cheapest format, the DVD chip, and the one with more codecs.

There is also the issue about cost. All figures done without shipping.
PSP $200
1GB Memory stick Duo $40
Total $240

GP2X $170
2500MaH rechargable batteries+Charger $15
1GB SD card $20
SD Card Reader $5
Total $210

The GP2X doesn't have WI-FI built in. If you add the cheapest USB wifi adapter I could find it would bring the GP2X total to $220 + cost of the BOB or serial to usb cable.

I don't own a PSP so I cannot comment on the emulators on it.

2 things:

1) Does the Memory Stick Duo not need a card reader? Can it be loaded onto via the PSP?

2) Although for some people it's glitchy, GP2X does work as an SD card reader, so if you are trying to show best-case scenario for it, then there's no need to add the SD Card reader in the total (although it doesn't matter that much, since they're so cheap anyway ^_^)

Apparently the "glitchiness" of the GP2X as a card reader was fixed with firmware 2.0. I haven't switched yet (waiting for the new version of DrMD to upgrade) so I can't confirm but that's what I've heard.

Back