Gp2x Multiplayer

TheMrCul

Still Fresh
Okay, it may seem like a rehash, but I would really like a centralised place or discussion about the multiplayer capabilities of the GP2X.
I have searched the forums and have found no difinative answers on each avenue that could work, or the topic just gets of topic etc. I am asking about GP2X to GP2X, not needing external power supplies or laptops/pcs to facilitate portable multiplayer gaming. So I have some questions, and would really appreciate some answers about it. :) In all cases I'm interested in being able to program games for the GP2X through SDL or other simple means, not having to re-invent the wheel each game I make so to speak. (I am in no way a hardware programmer :( )

Avenue 1:
Does a bluetooth exist in the GP2X internally? I've heard it wasn't going to be, then it was.
--> If it does exist, how far away are we from being able to program network games for the GP2X? 1-4 players?

Avenue 2:
Is making a custom USB bluetooth addon to the GP2X possible? Again, no external power supplies or laptops allowed. ;)
--> If so, how far away is it from being realised in games we can play or program?

Avenue 3:
Is it possible to make a serial cable to connect at least 2 GP2Xs together? Would it be possible to extend to up to 4 players?
--> If so, how do I make/buy one and program it using SDL or other means?

Avenue 4:
Is it possible to extend the use of the GP32's radio dongle thingy for use in the GP2X?
--> If so, how would I program it for use in a game?

Thanks for your time, I'm really interested in making a multiplayer dungeon crawler for the GP2X, and am at a loss on how to do it. Thanks again.

1. No
2. Only if the bluetooth adapter takes less then 100mah of power.
3. I believe so, but I'm not sure.
4. No idea.

I don't think anyone within a 100 mile radius of my house has seen a gp2x...

Online would be cool (wired through a pc to another gp2x connected to a pc), but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I dont really expect multiplayer, alltought with BoB it would be nice. And also do-able, I think...

HID is already in FW 2.0 so just need emulators with support for two gamepads...

I dont really expect multiplayer, alltought with BoB it would be nice. And also do-able, I think...

HID is already in FW 2.0 so just need emulators with support for two gamepads...

This is planned to be supported in Stargazer, using 2 USB pads or 1 USB pad and the GP2X built-in controls. A lot less cumbersome and overhead-laden than syncing 2 copies of the program over a link, and more feasible since how often do you run into someone else IRL with a GP2X on them? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
About never finding someone else with a GP2X, I have 2 friends with one :) . And I really want to avoid connecting to computers or something else to facilitate multiplayer gaming, I am thinking strictly console to console, through cables or otherwise, how to get/build them, and how to actually program them for use in a game.

IMO, I'd like to see a wifi dongle (with built in power pack) and a system similar to XLink Kai.

Back