Gp2x Mods

Mr.Bungle

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I thought it would be worth starting a topic completly for mods and tips on how others could do them. So all ye who have modded thine GP2X's post here.

So sad, this thread was so nice, it could be interesting to continue it.
I really like the paint one, but well i wont do it.

Only that

sorry for posting in a old post. -_- but i needed to say that the idea in this thread was very interesting.

Yes, this topic should be stickied ideally.

This is a big mod I am doing, perhaps an "ultimate" mod for the GP2x; using a MKII GP2x. Lots of work on this yet to do, only just got the system functional and working fine.

It looks bigger than it is from the pics.

I am using a PSone screen (40% bigger than the GP2x).
Better buttons and better laid out.
Prettier case (will be when done, WIP at moment, and working on the guts; ugly at the moment though).
Using C-cell batteries, 5500mAh NiMH cells. Lots of battery life.
Rotating screen, whilst using same controls (useful for some MAME games).
Normal sized digital D-pad joystick, far better control expected.
55mm speakers for far richer audio quality.
Reset facility and battery recharging facility (external plug).

Here are some teaser WIP pics, lots of work to do yet.

If you want to see the WIP guide and keep up on the project progress, please view this topic on BenHeck: HERE

I have some other minor GP2x mods on my sig too.

icurafu said:
Ah, this is starting to look really impressive (and complicated.)

I've been checking this out form time to time at the ben heck page.
Excellent! I am pleased you are checking it out.

For those of you who don't know, the mobo I am using was supplied by icurafu when his screen got smashed.

Yes, it is quite a complicated project, but manageable, and fun to make. The hard part is making it as compact as possible.

I am hoping to get several hours playtime on the system (aiming for 10+ if I am lucky, although I won't know the exact figure until the system is tested at the end of the project), hence using C-cells. They are big, heavy and bulky, but far greater capacity and uumph than AA's!

Last edited by a moderator:
System turned on, front view, D-pad joystick on top of case, isn't secured inside yet.

I know the TV-out isn't perfect from the GP2x, so neither is the image on the screen, but in saying that it is very good and perfectly acceptable. It is preferable than squinting at a small screen and getting eyestrain!

Anyway, pics of the system running Psycho Pinball (Megadrive).

I won't update more pics to this topic, when I finish the project in due course I will post in News. If you are interested in this project progress, please look on BenHeck site as per link I gave above. You can always register on BenHeck and post replies and queries there if you like (free registration).

I had to use some paper tape and strips of perspex to stick onto front (temporary) to stop the screen area falling out when I turn the system onto its back (this is the screen rotation, which will be secured in place when I do the front cover casing).

;)

Wow it looks so good, i mean specs, i want to see that with some case ; )

For me its impossible to mad a mod, wel maybe i can try the paint ones, to modify the case, but anyway im not preparated to do it xD, sure i will do somethig bad.!

I will take a look to this site with mods ; )

@Bacteria
I love how your GP2X mod is getting better every time :)

Are you planning to mount some USB ports in there too for multiplayer or an external hdd?

gavie said:
Are you planning to mount some USB ports in there too for multiplayer or an external hdd?
THAT would be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back