Before I Take The Plunge...

semicolon

Still Fresh
Website
www.thehappyplanets.com
Hi there,
As I posted recently in the XGP subforum, I've been eying the GP2X since a few months before it was released in the us- I thought it was an incredible idea, exciting product, but thought it would be a huge flop and wasn't keen on the joystick.

This week I looked back into it and boy was I wrong! The GP2X community is thriving! Emulators are running at wonderful speeds and the quality of homebrew apps and interpreters coming out are fantastic.

I've decided to not wait for the XGP Mini and take the plunge and purchase the GP2X.
My two big questions before this possible purchase are:

1. Can you please tell me more about the available D-Pad mods?
I am really (really!) turned off by the joystick. I've been reading that some forum members are doing mods to put a d-pad in the gp2x. I'm hoping for more information on those, where to obtain them (or send the unit to have installed, or even more desirable- purchase a new unit pre-modded), and the quality of the mod- preferably some pictures?

2. Price.
I'm a bit leery of spending $190 USD + Shipping + SD card from gp2xstore.com. Can anyone recommend me a good place to make this purchase? (Read, Good = cheapest mk2 unit from a trustworthy vendor) OR Is anyone selling / know a better place than eBay to find a used mk2 unit?

Thanks!
I appreciate any input and am very excited to become a member of the gp2x community :)

welcome to the community!!

1. dunno

2.play-asia.com
find coupon codes first for $15 off
shipping is expensive but 2x is 170 (shipping about 30)
buy the sd card a fry's electronics, look for ads, you can find cards as cheap as:
1gb: $5
2gb:$20
4gb:$55
:D :D
have fun

purple_goat

purple_goat posted on Dec 19 2006 at 06:00 PM said:
2.play-asia.com
find coupon codes first for $15 off

I know there are some sites that keep a list of available coupon codes for different sites... do you know of anything like this where I can find a code for play-asia?

(I used to have a 5 dollar code from them a year ago, lost the darn thing!)

In the event that I can't find a code, can you recommend any other places to purchase where I won't be bitten on shipping?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there are some sites that keep a list of available coupon codes for different sites... do you know of anything like this where I can find a code for play-asia?

That sounds ... un-ethical.

In the event that I can't find a code, can you recommend any other places to purchase where I won't be bitten on shipping?

gp2xstore.com

But I also reccomend play-asia ... they give you free Japanese candy, and a coupon ;)

I offer DPad-Mods (the ones from DaveC). Not yet in my shop, only via the German boards (as I needed to test some before offering them for real). As soon as DaveC had enough time to build more, I'm gonna offer the mod officially via my shop. :)

TelcoLou posted on Dec 19 2006 at 06:43 PM said:
That sounds ... un-ethical.

Well the sites that I recall seeing are basically just a list of currently offered... offers. So, a company announces a "Enter the code SANTALUMPS at checkout and receive free shipping!" deal and people list it on the site (or forum).

It would be different if they were just distributing something like a unique serial number sort of dealie. Un-ethical indeed!

EvilDragon posted on Dec 19 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
I offer DPad-Mods (the ones from DaveC). Not yet in my shop, only via the German boards (as I needed to test some before offering them for real). As soon as DaveC had enough time to build more, I'm gonna offer the mod officially via my shop. :)

This is what I've been reading about!
Can you please tell me a bit more about this? I am very interested :)
  • Do you know when you might be offering them from your shop?
  • Do you think you will offer (or be able to offer, upon request) the d-pad mod on a brand new unit?
  • Are you planning to offer the functionality of pressing down the joystick?
  • Do you have any photos of the completed mod?
  • Is this going to be offered as a service you perform or as a kit? If it is a kit, how difficult will this be?
  • And last, what price I could expect to pay for this / what price can I expect to pay for shipping to the United States?
Thanks!

I have a 15$ coupon for Play-Asia that expires at the end of the year.

PM me if you're interested.

SiDCrAzY posted on Dec 19 2006 at 07:15 PM said:
I have a 15$ coupon for Play-Asia that expires at the end of the year.

PM me if you're interested.

Thanks, I really appreciate that!
Honestly though, I was planning on making my purchase in a month or so. (Currently have no spending money, start a new job on January 2nd, will have the money to buy the gp2x after a few weeks of work.)

If I do have an opportunity to order before that, I'll definitely send you a message though- thanks!

Back