Gp2x Mame Freezes When Using A Dev. Bob

T

TelcoLou

I have a Logitech Precison USB Gamepad hooked up to a Dev. BOB, MKI GP2X, FW 2.1.1

More than half the time, MAME freezes after I select a game, it just sits there ath the game options screen.

Any ideas?

An RC adaptor is connected to the BOB (it is mandatory in the MK-1) ?
Do you have enough batteries ?
Have you tested it with less overclocking ?
Does such Logitech joypad runs as an standard joypad ?
Did you activate the 'human interface' and the 'usb host' options in the advanced menu of the gp2x ?
Is the led of the port where the USB joypad is connected ON ?

Personally i have tested it with two PSX to USB joypads and it runs ok... The button assignation is not configurable yet, and probably it is not adequate for other joypads... I will try to make this configurable in the next version...

Regards.

I have the same prob. witht the cradel. For some reason mine works if I have 1 game pad plugged into port 1 and another on plugged into port 4. If I do not have 2 plugged in I get the same lock ups.

MrHillBilly said:
I have the same prob. witht the cradel. For some reason mine works if I have 1 game pad plugged into port 1 and another on plugged into port 4. If I do not have 2 plugged in I get the same lock ups.
Really strange... :blink:

I have just tried now in my GP2X with only one pad in my BOB and it runs correctly!

When you plug only one pad, when the program exactly crashes?

At booting?

After the options screen? In such case the first joypad runs correctly in the frontend?

Could you please send me the messages the program prints in the terminal?

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can test this more later tonight;

The program locks up after I select a ROM, and I get to the game's options screen (CPU speed, etc...)

It only does this about 50% of the time though, I was able to play 1942 and Berzerk a few times ...

I leave the CPU speed at 200mhz, and the program runs fine when it's not connected to the BOB.

I'm very dumb, and wouldn't know how to send you terminal messages .. sorry :(

TelcoLou: to get the terminal messages connect the BOB's serial port to your computer, then use hyperterm configured to get input from the serial port to get the terminal messages.

TelcoLou said:
Hooka said:
TelcoLou: to get the terminal messages connect the BOB's serial port to your computer, then use hyperterm configured to get input from the serial port to get the terminal messages.
Thanks, but you must have skipped over the part about my lack of smarts ;)

Apparently, some other folks have BOB issues as well ...

Probably your problems are due to the joypad, maybe it is not an standard USB joypad, and the Linux driver has problems with it... But i dunno... If you have the terminal output, maybe i can get more information to solve the problem...

Anyway, yesterday in the evening i was bored and i added dipswitches support to the MAME port... It is nice to alter the difficulty level, some cheats, etc... I will try to get bored again xD and add some more features to release the new version (version 3.7 is from a lot of months ago...).

Regards.

@Franxis:

Do you have any idea why the sound is disappearing? I've had a look at the code and was wondering a couple things. Is it something to do with the sound thread losing it's position, or possibly something being uninitialized after a new game is started?

I'm still find that sound will just disappear after a few games.

Also, can you make the following change to sndhrdw/samples.c

#define MAX_CHANNELS 16

That way more samples should play for games that use many samples...

slaanesh said:
@Franxis:

Do you have any idea why the sound is disappearing? I've had a look at the code and was wondering a couple things. Is it something to do with the sound thread losing it's position, or possibly something being uninitialized after a new game is started?

I'm still find that sound will just disappear after a few games.

Also, can you make the following change to sndhrdw/samples.c

#define MAX_CHANNELS 16

That way more samples should play for games that use many samples...
About the sound, yes it still occurs, but it is not due to the sound thread. It is due to some sound cores those don't close their resources correctly, and after that if another game uses the same sound core, it is not initialised correctly. I already fixed a bug in the streams sound core for MAME GP2X v3.5, but it seems some fixes have still to be done in other cores as well...

About the samples, are there any example to test with it? Anyway i put your modification in samples.c right now.

Regards.

I've been making some changes and adding some debugging messages and somewhere along the way my compiled version no longer has sound that stops. It's very odd.

I used to be able to play perhaps anywhere between 5-10 games and then the sound would stop. Very consistently.

I've just played about 40-50 various games in the one sitting and the sound is still going. :-/

Well, after a fresh install of version 3.8, all is well :D

Maybe a corrupt .cfg file somewhere? No matter, I'm one happy chappy!

Many thanks again Franxis ... one step closer to my Frankenstein MAME box .. mwa-ha haaa!! ;)

Back