Gp2x Lock Up

Wilhood

i find that certain games on certain emulators crash and lock the gp2x up, so you have no choice but to turn your gp2x off and start again to clear it.is this common or is just me and is there anyway of unlocking it without switching your gp2x on and off?

Depends on what you mean by locks up. If it's caused by overclocking, then no. Otherwise you might be able to telnet in and kill the offending task, but its easier to just power cycle the gp2x.

Were you able to find any help on this? It's unfortunate, a lot of programs simply go black screen on me, a lot of the stuff I bought this for. One went white screen on me also, even some things written for the device (Egoboo2x for example). No explicit overclocking either, just on it's own.

Help would be appreciated, anyone know the chance this is a hardware defect?

BackAssward said:
Were you able to find any help on this? It's unfortunate, a lot of programs simply go black screen on me, a lot of the stuff I bought this for. One went white screen on me also, even some things written for the device (Egoboo2x for example). No explicit overclocking either, just on it's own.

Help would be appreciated, anyone know the chance this is a hardware defect?
Just to check: you're using rechargeables, and the crashes occur even when fully charged?

If not, as ever, get some. Most problems with GP2x crashes either come back down to overclocking, or dodgy batteries. I think the only instance I can recall of really bad instability is Psx4ALL2x, and somewhat in GPSP when it was first released (the current build is a lot more stable). Don't remember Egoboo2x being especially picky, although I could be wrong.

If it's not batteries, again, second on the checklist, have you read the readmes and done exactly what they said to do in the bit marked "installation"? Some programs require libraries or runtimes installed that they may not come with (although this is rare), and others are very picky about installation directory (much more common). Generally, if you can find out what anyone who got it working did, you'll get it working.

Last edited by a moderator:
If after trying all what Tobriand has suggested and you still have problems with your GP2x crashing, It might be worth checking you sd card for errors or corruption.

Trooper

trooper said:
If after trying all what Tobriand has suggested and you still have problems with your GP2x crashing, It might be worth checking you sd card for errors or corruption.

Trooper
Thanks all, I'm planning on trying a re-flash to 4.0 just to be sure. Yup, using fully charged batteries (2500 mAh and non-rechargables as well), and well known programs from the general list such as Doom, Quake, and that built in one I mentioned (again, no overclocking, just natively).

The SD is new, so I can't expect errors. Any particular way to check for them on an SD card? (If it were a HD or other common Media where errors occur I wouldn't ask, not sure if there is some special way for an SD card check)..

Thanks though, the quick responses are appreciated.

Cheers,

Back.

trooper said:

Trooper
BTW, the fleshlight quote you have is hilarious... nice.

yes i am using rechargeable batteries,ive used fully charged ones for this problem a few times,and i dont think it is a problem with the sd card because i use about 4 sandisk 2gb sd cards and it appears on all of them.the problem occurs whilst picking a rom on certain emulators .its just certain ones,but all the others i choose work perfectly.i have not installed the sdl libraries files yet,is it worth trying that

In the hopes that re-flashing the firmware would help, I tried to do that. However, even that won't work. Like many other things, it just goes to a black screen for a while, then either goes back to the interface or stays black until I restart the device.

I tried 3 different SD cards, same result.

Any thoughts? Device FUBAR'd?

Egoboo is overclocking both cpus till 250mhz
Second cpu in not that very stable on overclock

Could you list software you using of "black-screen" events?

BackAssward said:
In the hopes that re-flashing the firmware would help, I tried to do that. However, even that won't work. Like many other things, it just goes to a black screen for a while, then either goes back to the interface or stays black until I restart the device.

I tried 3 different SD cards, same result.

Any thoughts? Device FUBAR'd?
When I first started with the gp2x it used to do it a lot to me. I don't mean to be a git, but format your card and reinstall everything, double checking every step.

Just a reminder though, the console is based on Linux and so is case sensitive. So BLOODYtHING is not the same as blOOdyTHing. If you get my meaning. Some applications also ask you to have filepaths set out in a certain way.
Also make sure you have the SDL's installed and the audio package for doom quake etc...timidity I think it is.
Double check everything. Can't say it enough. :)
If you can tell us which app you are having problems with it could also help us! :D

I believe every GBA emulator I tried locks up But here's the kicker, even the reflashing fails. Goes to a black screen and stays there, or goes back to the menu.

The file explorer in that popular replacement menu system black screens also.

I've tried 3 different SD cards, all FAT32.

BackAssward said:
I believe every GBA emulator I tried locks up But here's the kicker, even the reflashing fails. Goes to a black screen and stays there, or goes back to the menu.

Do you have the GBA BIOS?

The replacement menu you are talking about is GMenu2X, right? If so, then the "Explorer", as well as the "Utilities", won't work for FW 4.0 as they are no longer present.

Manjuu said:
BackAssward said:

Do you have the GBA BIOS?

The replacement menu you are talking about is GMenu2X, right? If so, then the "Explorer", as well as the "Utilities", won't work for FW 4.0 as they are no longer present.

Yeah, I'm having more success lately. I got the GBA up and other things are working better. Still not sure why it won't flash though. Thnx for the help on Gmenu2x, I suspected something like that. I'll have to use an alternate explorer.

Here is a list of things that crash for me (that's I've found) so far, can anyone confirm if this is expected with the f200?

- Flashing the NAND to 4.0 (again) to be sure it's not corrupt.
- GP2XPDF
- Dosbox (latest version)
- Snes2x
- Some MP3s crash the built in player
- The Selector app.
- FFPlay
- Mplayer10

BackAssward said:
Here is a list of things that crash for me (that's I've found) so far, can anyone confirm if this is expected with the f200?

- GP2XPDF
- Snes2x
- The Selector app.
- FFPlay
- Mplayer10
Also add:

- Super Mario War
- Super Mario Chronicles

I've never done this, so I don't know.

- GP2XPDF
Do you have the GP2X11 server installed?

What are you trying to run with Dosbox? It might be an incorrect configuration or not compatible.

- Snes2x
Never tried this also.

I haven't encountered any, but I don't listen to many MP3s though.

- The Selector app.
What program are you using the Selector with? It might also be an incorrect configuration.

- FFPlay
What are you trying to play with FFPlay? You might also need to configure either the Selector or scripts.

- Mplayer10
I forgot if I ever go this one working.

- Super Mario War
Do you have the data files also installed?

- Super Mario Chronicles
Never tried this.

Manjuu said:
I've never done this, so I don't know.

- GP2XPDF
Do you have the GP2X11 server installed?

What are you trying to run with Dosbox? It might be an incorrect configuration or not compatible.

- Snes2x
Never tried this also.

I haven't encountered any, but I don't listen to many MP3s though.

- The Selector app.
What program are you using the Selector with? It might also be an incorrect configuration.

- FFPlay
What are you trying to play with FFPlay? You might also need to configure either the Selector or scripts.

- Mplayer10
I forgot if I ever go this one working.

- Super Mario War
Do you have the data files also installed?

- Super Mario Chronicles
Never tried this.
With DOSBox, I can't even run the dosbox example that comes with it (just getting a dosbox command prompt). I also tried alone1 and tyrian. I'm checking into my configuration presently.

For FFPlay, none of the programs will run at all, I execute them and black screen. I don't have the chance to pick a file to play.

For the PDF reader, I didn't see the step requiring x11 server. I will try tat now.

Thanks a bunch for your time everyone who looked into this and helped. Also, for anyone else with similar issues reformatting to FAT32 from FAT really did seem to help somewhat.

As Gruso mentioned, Dosbox needs the game files to run. They also have to be configured properly.

You can use the examples included in Dosbox as a guide and reference to how to setup the games, as well as read the Readme and instructions. Also, have you ever tried using Dosbox for a (PC) desktop? These would definitely help in understanding how to configure and play games. ;)

As for the FFPlay, I infer that you are just using what were included in it. If so, they would likely result in a blank screen, as those default scripts won't allow you to pick a file to load. They are scripts that load a predefined file located in the same folder named either "video.avi" or "music.mp3" for the video and music gpu's respectively. If you want to be able to pick a file to play, then using a file selector such as the Selector would enable this.

From the GP2Xpdf Readme:
GP2Xpdf is port of Xpdf (http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf) adapted for the GP2X.

This port requires the gp2x11 server (http://x11.gp2x.de) to be installed.

Back