System Lockups

tuxedup

Still Fresh
I have only had my Gp2x a few weeks, but I have begun to notice some lockups happening. I have had the demo of Payback (demo included in value pack) lock up a few times. I have also had Hexen, Quake and Heretic lockup whilst running at 200Mhz.

The lockups cannot be predicted as it seems to happen randomly. Payback locked up on my before 5 minutes into the demo.

This happens with fully charged batteries. Causing me to have to turn the machine off and on again to reset.

Given this happens with games that are not being over clocked, I am guessing it will almost certainly happen with emulators that need over clocking e.g. Mame, even at low over clocking.

Does anyone have any ideas whats wrong? Does it need sending back for repair or replacement? Because if it happens at no over clocking, then I don't see how the device will be useful with over clocking, it will almost certainly lock up.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Michael

I`m not sure if any of thoughs games you mentioned use the second processor (940), But if they do, That could be your problem, As it could be being overclocked by thoughs games without you realizing it (Just a thought). Try running DrMD (The megadrive emulator) and see how you go, I suggest DrMD, As it is one of the programs that doesn`t use the second processor, But gives you the ability to overclock the first processor to see how far you can push you GP2x.

Another idea is, It could be your SD card, It maybe corrupt or some other such problem, So maybe worth trying a reformat or reinstalling all your games/programs again to see if that helps. If you have any other SD cards, It might be worth trying thoughs too.

Trooper

I don't have an other SD cards to try. Payback is stored on the Nand not my SD card. If the problem is not with my SD card, but with over clocking, does this mean that effectively my machine is useless other than for running xjump? Almost everything worth playing on the device requires over clocking, Snes Emulators, Mame Emulators etc.

Thanks for the help anyway. I dont have the money to buy another SD card at the moment. At present I am using a 1GB Kingston SD card.

Michael

tuxed_up said:
I don't have an other SD cards to try. Payback is stored on the Nand not my SD card. If the problem is not with my SD card, but with over clocking, does this mean that effectively my machine is useless other than for running xjump? Almost everything worth playing on the device requires over clocking, Snes Emulators, Mame Emulators etc.

Thanks for the help anyway. I dont have the money to buy another SD card at the moment. At present I am using a 1GB Kingston SD card.

Michael
Have you tried my other suggestion ?.

Try running DrMD (The megadrive emulator) and see how you go, I suggest DrMD, As it is one of the programs that doesn`t use the second processor, But gives you the ability to overclock the first processor to see how far you can push you GP2x.

If not, Give it a try on your existing SD card.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper

I think I have found the culprit. This morning my two week old SD card gave up the ghost and killed its self somehow. The Gp2x no longer sees it being in the machine. When I insert it into the laptop inbuild reader nothing there either.

So I have swapped it for another one and shall see how it goes.

Its annoying though, I had an awful lot of games, music and videos on there. So I will have to download them again.

Thanks anyway :)

Back