Gp2x-f200 Presentation Video

shinneri said:
Hmm... The more I see of this F200, the more unnecessary I think it is. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the main draw of the GP2X is emulation, and none of the consoles it's capable of emulating had touchscreen.

I suppose it could be good for SCUMM and some computer emulators...

But maybe this means there'll be a clearance on old model GP2Xs. I wouldn't mind a second. :)
You're absolutely right. We should limit current hardware to 80's/early 90's technology. Fuck new stuff :)

Last edited by a moderator:
not to bothered about this one (yet?). Hopefully though, the release of this will bring the price of the f-100 down

icurafu said:
I just watched the video and thought it was great. Much better than wankertisments I've seen from Sony.
at least it shows some of the features of what the machine is capable of. ive yet to see a flying ps3 in real life.

incidentally the logo was cool they should add that as a firmware update.

on the subject of firmware does this mean 2 versions will be released or just 1 that will consume space for none needed touch screen on the f-100's

liveevil said:
I can't see the point of this as I think the spec is the same as the F100. If I wanted touch screen I would by a Nintendo DS. All emulators, and I quote the word "retro" never had a touchscreen and there isn't really need for one. Even if you could send the F100 back and upgrade to the F200 there's no guarantee that it will overclock as high, thus stiching yourself up. If they upgrade the processor speeds then it will obviously lead to a lot more possibilities like a fullspeed playstation emulator with no frameskip. I think i'll wait until this happens.
You can emulate a mouse much more easily with a touch screen than with a joystick or a D-Pad.

No wifi seems like a glaring omission on this new device. unless it does have that and i missed it!?

dicking about on the DS i've come to appreciate a bit of the old wifi caper.

nevermind eh... there's always the F-300 perhaps one day..

Touch screens, I've found, have proven to be bad since you end up putting wear marks on your screen, your pretty bright screen gets a nice haze scratches on it. My old US Robotic Pilot has marks on it from use. All of the scan tools I use at work are touch screen and they all have fuzzy/hazzy areas from where we touch the same part of the screen over and over. In terms of use, touch screens are good.. but how many times do you polish the screen on your current GP2Xs if you see a finger print on it? Now touch it over and over and over again. ;)

I'm waiting to see what the reviews are for the new D Pad. The little joy stick has been the weak point on these things. I've got the mk2 version, and find it a bit tricky to use, the down responce can be lacking. Beyond that, the GP2X is a great toy to burn away the hours on a cross country flight.

White... meh... I like black better, but I guess that is only because I'm use to seeing it as such... had the F100 been white, I'd be saying I like white better than black.

One thing I guess we can all be glad about, GPH is moving the product foward... it may not be the direction all of us want, but that is a lot better than doing nothing.

I await D pad reviews.

Do not flame me if this is totally wrong but i'm just interested.
Is it not dangerous for GPH to put "Cyber-Shot" in their presentation video? as i always though Cyber-Shot was Copyrighted?

I just watched the video, and I like it. Any visual effects can be considered cheesy, the important thing is content, and it does a good job at getting things through. However, it should have focused mainly on the gaming aspect (not necessarily emulation) of the device, because most other features are rarely used by most people. Which is why I also think the Games icon should be the first one on the menu list, in all firmwares.

Rather than make this promotional clip with it's allusion to iPod silhouettes graphics..

GPH should do a full ad featuring a spasmodic iTwat dancing like a gimp in silhouette with his iPod.
Then, his freaky dancing gets interrupted when somebody throws a brick at his head. He bends down to pick up the brick only to discover it's not a brick it's a GP2X F-200, which he switches on, browses some retro games then throws it in the trash. Then a caption comes up, "The new GP2X F-200. It's not for pricks."

Whilst the vid isn't going to sell me one of these (because the F100 is enough for me), I frown in the general direction of people who say it's horrible. Ok, there's a kind of resonance with aircraft safety vids, but the content is there, and the general impression is really rather cool. If I didn't already have a 2x, then I might be interested.

Although there should definitely be a shot of someone writing a program for it and then it running on the unit, since as it is, it could be misconstrued that the only games it runs are the ones that come with it. Of course we all know otherwise already, but presumably they're aiming at people who aren't us at least to some extent.

lol, When it zoomed out to show the peripherals that were plugged into the BOB, the hard drive looked like a toaster for a second. :lol:

I wonder.. will we have to attach the screen ourselves again and risk getting loads of dust underneath?

never had such a traumatic experience after recieving a purchase in the post..

Paradox said:
I wonder.. will we have to attach the screen ourselves again and risk getting loads of dust underneath?

never had such a traumatic experience after recieving a purchase in the post..
Well... that only had been the case with First Editions.
And... well... doesn't make sense putting a hard cover in front of a touchscreen, does it? :p

Last edited:
Back