Gp2x = Extreme Durability

whiskthecat

whiskthecat
Website
pigliver.blogsite.org
untitled12ui.png

This may appear like a gp2x that has been taken great care of. Unfortunatley becuase of a few accidents, that is not the case. Either way this just proves what a durable and well desinged machine the gp2x really is. Now onto the damage report.

1. Dropped from about 8 feet onto carpet.
I was using it as a light to see at the top of my closet when it slipped out of my hand.
Damage = None.

2. Dropped from about 2 1/2 feet onto solid concreate after bouncing off sheet metal.
I was sittin in one of those gross movie theatre seats watching a movie when it slipped out of my pocket, bounced of the chair siding and then hit the concrete below.
Damage = Battery connection bent in. ( I easily bent it right back out. )

3. Dropped form about 3 feet onto carpet after bouncing off of solid wood.
My friend was handing me the gp2x when it slipped, bounced off the wooden desk and then landed on the carpet.
Damage = Once again none.

I really wish none of this had ever happend but I think it really proves how strong and durable the gp2x really is. I think we all know that if a psp was abused like this with its fragile optical drive it would already have been in the parts bin.

The reason I wrote this was to inform everyone of the gp2x's strength and maybe to encourage some of you to tell some of your own handheld horror storys. :lol:

Well, it's pretty much the same with me...except that it depends on the damage area. I got pretty unlucky, because I put my headphones inside the case with the gp2x...The metal connector cracked the screen protector. And on another accident while it was in the case, it kind of made a dent. Me sad :(.

Mine has survived a fall onto carpet from 5 feet with no injuries; 2 falls onto hardwood floor between 3-5 feet with bent battery connectors; and one injury of unknown cause associated with being left alone with my 3 yr old, requiring the battery connectors be bent back into shape.

i hate dropping (expensive) electronics, i cringe everytime i drop something like that onto say, concrete or something... not that it happens much....

thats a nice kitty loubear..

I'd have to agree; I kept feeling like if I dropped it, it would explode into a millon little pieces and spray deadly shrapnel everywhere. But I've dropped mine 2 or 3 times and the worst that ever happened was that the battery contacts bent inwards a bit-- corrected in a moment. Pretty impressive.

Today I was playing and my joystick got stuck into the pressed in position..I didnt notice till i turned it off and back on again. It's a big issue..as I cant navigate menus if it is constantly stuck down...any button press brings me into movie viewing. Has anyone had a problem like this?

While we're talking about durability...

I played it in 120° F weather during a mild sandblasting for about 12 hours straight and all I had to do was clean it off and blow it out. I was kind of worried, but it seemed to take the punishment.

Build quality can't be as bad as some have said then...

I reckon the thing just feels light when it doesn't have any batteries in it, so people judge on that. The weight of something and how sturdy it feels do often go hand in hand - although not necesarily with how sturdy something *is*.

whiskthecat posted on Jul 5 2006 at 07:37 AM said:
2. Dropped from about 2 1/2 feet onto solid concreate after bouncing off sheet metal.
I was sittin in one of those gross movie theatre seats watching a movie when it slipped out of my pocket, bounced of the chair siding and then hit the concrete below.
Damage = Battery connection bent in. ( I easily bent it right back out. )
The same damage happened to me when dropping it on concrete from about 15cm. Was scared cause it wouldn't start but in the end it proved resistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always drop a new electronic toy at least once, shortly after I get it. I had the same thing happen as many other people; one of the battery contacts got bent out of place, which I fixed easily and quickly.

I wish mine had been as durable <_<

It was placed inside my suitcase in luggage bay when I went to Frankfurt last month. When I arrived at the hotel to unpack, I found the poor GP2X rather smashed up. Something must have happend in the luggage bay.

Anyhow here is the result... I'm currently trying to get an insurance claim.

gp2xdead4kh.png

(As you can see the screen protector was broken through and the actual lcd has 2 large cracks, the joystick was warped (The DaveC cap doesn't fit anymore) and the battery cover doesn't stay on. Also the right shoulder button came out because the casing was cracked.)

I'm GP2X'less right now :(

1. Loubear that's the cutest kitty I ever saw.

2. Why would you carry your 2X in a suitcase as opposed to your hand baggage?

- Alex

I simply wasn't expecting that sort of thing to happen. I've only flown a few times, and it saved me carrying it around as I didn't have any specfic hand luggage. There's a lesson to be learn't here though obviously ;)

Cannibal posted on Jul 5 2006 at 10:15 PM said:
I simply wasn't expecting that sort of thing to happen. I've only flown a few times, and it saved me carrying it around as I didn't have any specfic hand luggage. There's a lesson to be learn't here though obviously ;)

Wait... you didn't want to play it on the airplane? What kind of GP2x fan are you? [j/k] :p

Last edited by a moderator:
....really. What kind of "gamer" are you, who doesn't take his hand-held game-playing device *on* the plane?!?! Duh! Serves you right, I'm afraid, I'm sorry if that is harsh. Do you put your delicate cameras and various other breakable items into check-in luggage? Lesson learned, friend, that's why there is carry-on.

Another point of this thread ought to be, get the darn case the GP sells with! How could someone not buy a case for a reasonably expensive, delicate item. The case is sturdy, semi-hardshell, with no wiggle room (just one complaint, havinng some screwed-up zipper issues, but not unsalvageable yet).

Other than that, sure, yeah, we all drop things. But seriously, keeping the GP unprotected in your pants pocket is probably not the most cautious course of action. I keep mine (in its case!) in my on-the-road tech bag, which also contains my Archos PMA (super-schweet), cell-phone, and smokes. ;^)

Back