Gp2x Dead?

Well you just proved to us that you are just an impatient, ungrateful, mindless consumer who only wants the most realistic graphics and nothing but top notch commercial games. While the rest of us know how to wait and be patient (what a concept!). So if you can't handle waiting some time for something great, then go buy a PSP with yet another GTA game (orginately thrives with Sony), while the rest of us will be rewarded once the GP2X really takes off.

Tell me what I said that implies that I am impatient. Don't even mention my "people play emulator games for 10 seconds each" argument, because that is more based on uninterest. Also, tell me how "quality homebrew" means PSP quality 3D games.

JaqMS, there's a very simple reason for the disparity between the homebrew:emulators ratios on the GP32 and the GP2x respectively. Namely: the time the console have been around.

You joined this time last year, yes? Well, had you been around about a year and a bit prior to that, you'd have seen about the same ratio for the GP32 as there currently is for the 2x. Everyone wants emulators first - that's the quick buzz. Then, once all the emus are made, then homebrew games start to appear, and their quality gradually to rise.

If the ratio's still bad in a year and a half's time, PM me and I'll send you a video of me eating a hat, but it will, short of the GP2x actually dying, have improved somewhat.

Tell me what I said that implies that I am impatient. Don't even mention my "people play emulator games for 10 seconds each" argument, because that is more based on uninterest. Also, tell me how "quality homebrew" means PSP quality 3D games.

There are two kinds of GP2X users.

The first type sees a lack of a certain type of game or game/s and makes an intelligent and thoughtful thread about it, detailing why it would be worth a developer's free time to create it. They put in an effort to show people why it would be a good idea, and why it would better the GP2X experience for the entire community.

And then there are those that bitch and whine that there arn't any decent games for the GP2X, make insulting and downright pointless threads about it that doesn't accomplish anything. Wasting not only his/her own time, but wasting everyone elses who feel like they have to defend the system this person is unjustifiably critisising.

You sir, at the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I understand. I guess I'll have to get the GP2X in a year and a half. But one difference is GP32 did not have COMPLETELY USELESS uploads such as 2 second wav sounds and skins that are worthy of front page news.

Ok, I understand. I guess I'll have to get the GP2X in a year and a half. But one difference is GP32 did not have COMPLETELY USELESS uploads such as 2 second wav sounds and skins that are worthy of front page news.

The GP2X is about the community, personally, I think if everyone made a little effort (which is nothing compared to what the developers do) then we'll all be better off. Complaining is counter-productive if you have even the slightest of ability to change the problems you think it has. If you think those small files arn't worthy of main news, then discuss it somewhere, and the situation might change. You won't know unless you try. Nothing get's solved with threads like these.

Afterall, it's all free. There's no big paycheck for developers, they deserve our encouragement, not our dismissal. People are just trying to do their bit, whether that be big or small.

There are several homebrew games in the archive, and while not all of them are spectacular sights and sounds, they're still pretty good and some are right fun.

Hmmm.... Only plays for 10 seconds, that implies a lack of patience, honestly.

I play movies on mine now and then.

Not bad, considering I bought it for movies, emulators and Quake.

So what's in the XGP archive? Oh, that's right, you're still waiting.

I think that is just how the forums are, we will have to wait until the forum is changed to not show the sound files in the archive.

I played BubblesX, A LOT, then I watched movies and read eBooks (read through all of Starship Titanic on it) and looked at pictures.

I tried the Another World interpreter, it was good. I also played Flashback quite a bit.

I just wish I had one now, never got to try Firmware 2.0, or Vektar, or have a look at Payback, or try the fixed DrMDx on the TV to compare it with my Consoles (two knock offs, a Radica and a Genesis3, crappy really)

Or even Qtopia, I grant you it is a port, But IT IS NOT AN EMULATOR. It has Opera and can browse the internet.

Or GPE with Dillo on the new X11 port.

I don't know about Emu's because I only ever owned a MegaDrive (god knows how it wound up in the USA) and a PSX, and I played those enough.

I want to make cool USB cords that are just self-contained USB and Video-out cords, tiny, tiny cords.

I want to play lots of Divx films off of a USB HDD on my telly.

I want a console that you buy Samsung cellphone data cables for and get pure magic and handheld bliss as you connect USB devices as you see fit.

I don't see another console that is so suited to ME. I would buy it if I did, but this is the only place to find all this goodness.

If the GP3X comes out in 5 years and has a USB 2.0 hub across the top, a 640x480 screen and VGA with a 3D accelerator out I will just die of sheer happiness. I am hoping it will have a 90nm process core and will run off of 4 1,000mAh AAA NiMH or a optional Li-Ion pack. I want to see the screen all the way to the edges of the unit, 4 or 4.5" would be good, then the small buttons will make sense, I want a control setup like the 6-button Genesis and an L2 and R2, and some extra menu buttons, 4 should do the trick. I want Wifi and it should be internal but have an antenna that sticks out the back. (probably will never happen, but I can wish for it!!)

That is the point of this machine, it fires the imagination and creativity of so many people, not just those bringing emulators over from the Zodiac or GP32 (Zodttd is deep in little idiosyncrasies of ARM emulation, he is improving PSX emulation across the board for all ARM PDA'a and PC's that he can, for the sheer technical challange), people are mired in making neat 3D engines and the easiest ways to do special effects.

Others run ahead hardware hacking (have you noticed, somewhere out there are at least 2 Serial cables sporting Samsung logos, they look very sleek and work admirably, just take the shell open and move 4 wires), that is another thing that the other consoles don't have, sure there are those doing it. But not on a level that so many can trod their footsteps like here.

The PSP has wifi, who cares? We can have wifi if we want, and we have dillo and opera already, PSP DS?? nope sorry, they are stuck with lame crap.

I don't know what the point is to this console, I am happier wiring it to USB and playing with Ideas for add-ons I can actually accomplish than playing Sega Games, maybe that is how it should be, at least until Reesy gets the USB pad support into DrMDx, then watch out, I will have to use a chip from retrousb.com and make a Sega pad that has a Samsung Data cable for a cord, plug and play :) :).

Until then I am happy to swap technical tidbits with Radek on serial data and his audacious Idea for his own external controller, fully out of self-programmed IC's and pressing all the buttons electronically inside the GP2x.

Or going on the dev channel in IRC, I wasn't flamed out for being a noob when I needed to telnet into my GP2X and test that Serial cable, no I got some much needed help.

I don't know what the deal is with fanboy's If I had the money I would buy a DS and then likely a PSP, if I was steenking FEELTHY reech I would have a Libretto 1Ghz to play on and I wouldn't even need an emulator or Divx, I could play my PC games and watch DVD's right on it.

But the GP2X is great for what it is, affordable, friendly (a bit high maintence, but I like it that way :)) open and begging for you to mess in its sundry bits, unlike the PSP which either needs to be fooled into bed with a backwards hack or payed like a supermodel to flash some skin and smile at you while their 2-Year old intellect blinks unkowingly behind false lashes as you ask about gameplay (blink, blink, Gameplay?? no I only do T and A honey, and the same T and A you've been getting for the last 8 years on the PSX and PS2), stuck up snooty bitch.

At least the DS is friendly like a High-School sweetheart, freckled and chubby-cheeked it doesn't come through with any resolution or full capableness that the GP2X musters with a knowing European flair (sure it isn't european, but at least it is worldy wise.)

Wow, this thread got a whole lot of posts in a short amount of time :)

Anyway, I can agree with a little, but disagree with most. Let me start with what I do agree with. The build quality of the device is somewhat low, yes. I have owned a few GP2X systems, and all have exhibited some bubbles in the plastic, or scratches (none on the screen however), if not some other imperfections. I am really NOT used to this type of thing. I am a fanatic when it comes to electronics, and usually return something if it has so much as a microscopic blemish anywhere. I guess I can say that I have eased up some since the GP2X, because I have come to the rationalization that I will just never get a "perfect" (perfect in my eyes that is) GP2X.

The joypad is not that great, but I have played with MUCH worse. The Zodiac (I came to the GP2X from the Zod scene) had very bad controls. I could never really play the classic games the way I did back in the day on this thing. Hell, I'd die in games that I could blow through using the regualr (NES, Genesis..etc) controllers. It was just bad. Now, the GP2X is much better, but it is not perfect. I still have a hard time in certain shoot-em-ups, and am still hoping that I will just "get used to it". Why in the hell can't they just copy a standard d-pad (GB, NES, Genesis, SNES) design... as this is what this system will be used for playing anyway?? Why make up some odd cup?

As for graphics, I think they are great. The screen is clear and refreshing. The emulated games look fantastic. It's one of the best I have encountered. Perfect for the classics.

The sound is nice too. The speakers are nice and loud, although they sometimes crackle at high volumes. But, all in all, sounding good on this end.

TV Out rules. This should be standard on every single handheld device. It just gives you an option, and a BIG one at that. Words cannot describe it.

I realize this post sounded more of a review than a reply, but it certainly is a reply to the original poster would thinks the GP2X plainly "sucks". It absolutely does not, if you are purchasing it for what it really is all about. The DS (or Lite) is nothing about what the GP2X is. If you are into emulation, then you have reached an almost dead end (aside Flubba's excellent GBA emus, and ScummVM) for this sort of entertainment. The DS is just too slow to accomplish many of these things. If you don't care at all about emulation and open source goodness, and just want good (and expensive) retail games, the DS is most definitely the way to go. But, my friend, with your attitude I cannot say you will be missed here.

The GP2X is about the community, personally, I think if everyone made a little effort (which is nothing compared to what the developers do) then we'll all be better off. Complaining is counter-productive if you have even the slightest of ability to change the problems you think it has. If you think those small files arn't worthy of main news, then discuss it somewhere, and the situation might change. You won't know unless you try. Nothing get's solved with threads like these.

Afterall, it's all free. There's no big paycheck for developers, they deserve our encouragement, not our dismissal. People are just trying to do their bit, whether that be big or small.

There have been requests by people to stop uploading bootup sounds and just collect them into one file. That didn't happen. There have been requests by people to remove the useless sticky topics. That didn't happen.

Ok, I for one personally really like the bootsounds, and hope people continue to develop them and be creative. I love the sounds I have selected for mine, I have 2 top favs that I can't get enough of. Some do suck, but the majority are a great reminder of what retrogaming is all about.

Secondly,
I feel that you truly did not come here for the development aspect of the gp2x. Hell you don't even own one!!! You honestly have no idea how a gp2x turns on, how it plays games, videos, text files, music!!( Which the gp32 never did well)

EVERYTHING is better with the gp2x. Development never went this quickly for the gp32. I mean, look how fast snes, mame, tg16 came....there were releases of these emulators like atleast 2 times a week a some points!!!

Plus all the other games that were ported, doom, duke, quake. They all kick ass!!

Do us all a favor and go home and cry to mommy, becuase you're just jealous that we all have one, AND YOU DON'T!

DSR

There have been requests by people to stop uploading bootup sounds and just collect them into one file. That didn't happen. There have been requests by people to remove the useless sticky topics. That didn't happen.
Some stickies were removed or merged. I am sure there were quite a few skins released when Aqua fishes firmware came out for the GP32 that made the front pages for a while.

There are also developments that you dont see such as the excellent SDL Hardware accelerated libraries. It is still early days, The GP32 didn't get into its prime till possiblely 2 years into its lifcycle.

Do you guys know how long it took the GP32 to develop into the console that it is? YEARS. The GP2X is not a console for those without any patience. This isn't a DS or PSP; Devs don't have tens of thousands of dollars or teams of two dozen working on a project everyday. It takes time, but things will develop.

And anyway, the GP2X is miles and miles ahead of where the GP32 was at this point in it's lifespan.

Your right Shineri,

I start to follow up on the GP32 around 2001 when it first introduced and finally decide to get one laters in 2002 when thing start to move a little bit. But it is only around 2003-2004 that it really start to lift off when they start selling it in Europe. When I bought mine they were only a few place you could buy it, (got mine from Lik Sang) now the GP2X is avalaible in alot of places. And got several website, magazine talk about it. The GP32 was way much more obscure in its beginning. And I am very confident in the way its going that the GP2X will easily surpass the GP32.

Ok, I for one personally really like the bootsounds, and hope people continue to develop them and be creative. I love the sounds I have selected for mine, I have 2 top favs that I can't get enough of. Some do suck, but the majority are a great reminder of what retrogaming is all about.

Secondly,
I feel that you truly did not come here for the development aspect of the gp2x. Hell you don't even own one!!! You honestly have no idea how a gp2x turns on, how it plays games, videos, text files, music!!( Which the gp32 never did well)

EVERYTHING is better with the gp2x. Development never went this quickly for the gp32. I mean, look how fast snes, mame, tg16 came....there were releases of these emulators like atleast 2 times a week a some points!!!

Plus all the other games that were ported, doom, duke, quake. They all kick ass!!

Do us all a favor and go home and cry to mommy, becuase you're just jealous that we all have one, AND YOU DON'T!

DSR

Looks like someone doesn't know how to make 2 second wav files. I'm just waiting for the person that will create a news post for a boot sound. That is when the community has surely gone under. In retrospect, GP2X SUCKS compared to the GP32. Obviously the GP32 took a long time to develop since no one knew about it for the first couple years and it was originally not very homebrew-friendly. Yet, the "weak" GP32 surely outdid itself. Now, everyone knows about the GP2X and it was originally made to be homebrew-friendly. Yet, the GP2X releases are sparse and completely focused on emulators and useless files (ie. bootsounds and skins).

What is stopping you from developing some games yourself? If you think the releases seem to be sparse and full of stuff that you don't want, then you can fix that by developing what you do and possibly what others want as well, original games.

Put your money where your mouth is. Quit complaining and do something about it like others are (e.g. Stargazer)

The problem is, I do not have a GP2X. Though I am developing a game for the GP32 right now, I would develop for GP2X once there is a sufficient amount of homebrew to make getting a GP2X worthwhile.

Are you programming directly to the hardware or through an API (fenix, SDL)?

Side note: Craigix is selling First Editions in the MarketPlace at £85 each.

Back