Gp2x Can't Find Built In Games?!

starbase1

Still Fresh
Website
www.starbase1.co.uk
Hi All,
I took my GP2X on holiday, and great it was too for passing the time when travelling.

But somewhere along the line something went wrong as it now seems unable to locate any files. For example, when I selected video, it did not find any of the ones on the SD card that were found and played succesfully before.

I thought it might be something to do with vids alone, so I tried to load some games from the card - exactly the same, when browsing for files nothing shows. I tried my other SD card - same thing.

I then had a bright idea, and tried to run a buit in game - again nothing found!

Now I am hoping that it is nothing serious, as it still lets me do things like change the system settings - it just can't find any files!

Anyone got any ideas? Is there some way to re-initialise everything back to factory defaults, or reload the OS?

All clues very gratefully received!
I miss my best toy! :angry: :(

Nick

starbase1 said:
Hi All,
I took my GP2X on holiday, and great it was too for passing the time when travelling.

But somewhere along the line something went wrong as it now seems unable to locate any files. For example, when I selected video, it did not find any of the ones on the SD card that were found and played succesfully before.

I thought it might be something to do with vids alone, so I tried to load some games from the card - exactly the same, when browsing for files nothing shows. I tried my other SD card - same thing.

I then had a bright idea, and tried to run a buit in game - again nothing found!

Now I am hoping that it is nothing serious, as it still lets me do things like change the system settings - it just can't find any files!

Anyone got any ideas? Is there some way to re-initialise everything back to factory defaults, or reload the OS?

All clues very gratefully received!
I miss my best toy! :angry: :(

Nick
seems like the easy way out is to reflash the firmware

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, you put the firmware files on the root of your SD and keep pressing START&SELECT when switching the GP2X on until the update screen appears.

But only do it with an AC adapter connected or fresh batteries inserted!

Quiest said:
Nope, you put the firmware files on the root of your SD and keep pressing START&SELECT when switching the GP2X on until the update screen appears.

But only do it with an AC adapter connected or fresh batteries inserted!
OK, that sounds within my abilities!
:rolleyes:

In case anyone else finds this message with a search, using these clues and google I found the page with detailed instructions:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Firmware_Upgrade

I don't understand why the stuff about batteries is important though - can it really drain the batteries that much just installing the firmware?

Godmil said:
out of curiosity what Firmware did you have on it when it happened?
Hard to check now!
:D

But I bought it about 2 months ago, so I'd guess it is pretty up to date...

Nick

yeah I'm guessing it's 3.0.0, that seemed to happen every so often with that firmware. Drop down to 2.0.0 then 2.1.1 (unless you've already done it). You should be fine.

starbase1 said:
I don't understand why the stuff about batteries is important though - can it really drain the batteries that much just installing the firmware?
Probably not, but there's always the chance that your batteries didn't charge properly or just aren't very good, and so have less in than you think... but then I suppose you could have a power cut while using the AC adapter ;)

Quiest said:
It sounds like its happening to the games in the nand too, how could the SD be causing that?
It can't - but the games are gone if you accidentally format the NAND in the settings menu.

Last edited:
OK, I seem to be getting some problems with reloading the firmware...
:(

I formatted the SD card to Fat32, and put the files on for 3.0 at the top level, downloaded from an address in the wiki.
I held the buttons down as it started, (while powered from the mains), and got the firmware updating display.

After a while the main menu was back, though the video icon looked a bit rough. I tried selecting a video at this stage, and it played OK. So I turned it off and on again.

I then got a 'formatting' display, and wandered off, to let it do it's thing. When I checked a few minutes later the display was black, and it did not work when I turned it off and on.
:blink:

I tried again and got exactly the same sequence...
:blink:

If I can go though it twice, I guess I have not fried it by doing something wrong...
Any ideas anyone?
:(

flash 2.1.1 instead of 3.0.0 its much better, i think the procedure is First flash to 2.1.0 and then to 2.1.1
but check with the wiki before to be sure

evol said:
flash 2.1.1 instead of 3.0.0 its much better, i think the procedure is First flash to 2.1.0 and then to 2.1.1
but check with the wiki before to be sure
Thanks Evol - it seemed sensible to change one thing at a time first, (i.e. stick with the firmware I know before going back).

Nick

If you're going to downgrade make sure you go to 2.0 first not 2.1.0.

After that you can upgrade directly from 2.0 to 2.1.1 if you want, you can also go 2.0>2.1.0>2.1.1 if you want, but it's not necessary.

:)

Back