Gp2x - Basic Info Faq

Updates from GPZigi, GPH Korean page...

What's In The Box, continued:

EDIT: Extras are for a planned LE package - different from the pre-order bonuses @ GBAX, GP32z, etc. Details at a later date...maybe.

(You will probably still get a screen protector and instruction manual.)

1) GP2X system
2) Screen protector
3) Wrist strap
4) Carry bag
5) Microfibre cloth wipe
6) Instruction manual

Specs revision:

-Mass (w/o batteries): 161g/5.68oz (GP32 NLU: 163g/5.74oz)

-Video Codec support: MPEG 1, 2, 3, 4, DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x and higher, XviD, WMV (7, 8, 9 Series by 'After Support')
-Format support: AVI, MPG, MPEG
-Max bitrate upped to 2500k (audio stream still 384k max)

-Audio Formats: MP3, OGG, WMA (by 'After Support')

-Image Formats: JPG, BMP, PCX, GIF, PNG (new)

-Additional Features: e-Dictionary (planned for later release)

-Battery Life (2 x 2850mAh AA): 6 hours video, 10 hours audio

TandeM posted on Sep 26 2005 at 04:47 PM said:
Updates from GPZigi, GPH Korean page...

What's In The Box, continued:

1) GP2X system
2) Screen protector
3) Wrist strap
4) Carry bag
5) Microfibre cloth wipe
6) Instruction manual

Specs revision:

-Mass (w/o batteries): 161g/5.68oz (GP32 NLU: 163g/5.74oz)

-Video Codec support: MPEG 1, 2, 3, 4, DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x and higher, XviD, WMV (7, 8, 9 Series by 'After Support')
-Format support: AVI, MPG, MPEG
-Max bitrate upped to 2500k (audio stream still 384k max)

-Audio Formats: MP3, OGG, WMA (by 'After Support')

-Image Formats: JPG, BMP, PCX, GIF, PNG (new)

-Additional Features: e-Dictionary (planned for later release)

Nice! Do you know if this is only for people who buy directly from GPH in Korea, or will the rest of us in Europe and the USA also get the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
TandeM posted on Sep 26 2005 at 05:47 PM said:

OMG if I have to use that powerfull of batterys to get that much life out of my gp2x then I am out. I hope they mean the max would be 2850mAh batterys and on regular batteries it runs 6 hours on video and 10 hours on audio. <_<

GPH claims 14 hours of battery life with an "LCD-Off" mode. I'm skeptical enough about that figure, but isn't running the system without the LCD on considered Not A Good Idea (search for 'sleep mode', it'll come up)? They seem specific enough that they're not confusing it with a backlight-off mode...
If you have the LCD off when you're playing music (and there's not much of a use for having it on), it will save a lot of battery power. It's what a lot of other devices do.

I'm thinking the LCD off would also help when you're using the TV-Out as well. Hell, if it helps to save the batteries, then I think it's a good idea... Turning it off while playing music might be nice also, provided it helps to save the battery and you have your music all planned out in advance.

Wondering if there's a button lock to keep from accidentally skipping a song or deleting one from your list while it's in a pouch/pocket or strapped to your wrist with a jacket over it.

Jr2swiss posted on Sep 27 2005 at 07:16 AM said:

???

Is some info different from what GPH told you?

I'm assuming the "hmm" was because of the latest "what's in the box" info. I also found it a bit odd. A case and a cleaning cloth? I really wonder if that's all true. Which is why I also kept the previous info there as well.

If you can get some confirmed info on what's in the box let me know and I will change the FAQ.

Edited my post to clear things up. Apparently there's a planned LE package or something, which I confused with the pre-order bonuses GBAX, GP32z, etc. have running.

*fact-check +1*

Prophet posted on Sep 27 2005 at 05:16 AM said:
Holy crap at just noticed I have the "certified gp32 guru" icon now. :p

Hey, where is mine :(

You are now l337 :)

TandeM posted on Sep 22 2005 at 10:03 PM said:
http://www.gpx2.com/product/product_main.asp

GPH claims 14 hours of battery life with an "LCD-Off" mode. I'm skeptical enough about that figure, but isn't running the system without the LCD on considered Not A Good Idea (search for 'sleep mode', it'll come up)? They seem specific enough that they're not confusing it with a backlight-off mode...

In less related news, how'd they stuff a humanoid skeleton into that penguin anyway?

gbax.com/linux2.jpg
NO HOTLINKING.
blackfootedpenguin4nf.th.jpg

I bet that it is just a backlight off mode though. The LCD itself is so low power that you wouldn't gain much with it off.

reallynotnick posted on Sep 27 2005 at 12:52 AM said:
TandeM posted on Sep 26 2005 at 05:47 PM said:

OMG if I have to use that powerfull of batterys to get that much life out of my gp2x then I am out. I hope they mean the max would be 2850mAh batterys and on regular batteries it runs 6 hours on video and 10 hours on audio. <_<

Yes it means 6-10 hours @ 2850 MAh. I have done some calculations and with normal 2000 MAh batteries and running emus you will get roughly 12 minutes 29 seconds out of a set of batteries :)

Actually you will probably get the same playtime as you do now on a BLU running at 166-200 MHz. About 3-4 hours.

FAQ updated, link to GPH game/emu list, info on AC power, info on TV-Out price, a few other things.

Prophet posted on Sep 30 2005 at 12:59 PM said:
FAQ updated, link to GPH game/emu list, info on AC power, info on TV-Out price, a few other things.
Hmm, if the price of the tv-out cable is expected to be less than $10, it would be nice if the dealers allowed people who pre-ordered to update their orders to include the cable too. I hate buying stuff online that's less than about $50 because the postage usually ends up being a large part of the cost.

Warranty & After Service Summary:

http://www.gpx2.co.kr/support/support_suge...o=3126&bunho=17

Looks like a 1-year limited warranty, possible repairs for units damaged by user-tampering (not for free, of course), 4+ dead pixels to warrant replacement...once it gets to the English site we'll know for sure.

They've also added a dev resource center to the Download Center with MMSP 2 documentation (preliminary databook and more...) Of course the files get uploaded to the Korean site first...

OrR posted on Sep 19 2005 at 11:11 AM said:
Might be an idea to mention that the USB is not powered and that you can likely use devices that need power with a powered USB hub.
How much more/less does it weigh than GP32?

Back