Gp2x-7800: Atari 7800 Emulator For Gp2x V1.0.1

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
gp2x7800-snap-v101.jpg

ProSystem is the best emulator of Atari 7800 game console, running on Windows system.
It has been written by Greg Stanton, see http://home.comcast.net/~gscottstanton for details.

Here is a port on GP2X of the version 1.0 that i had previously ported to PSP.

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.
[cut]
Here is a full working binary version :
7800-v1.0.1-bin.zip

Enjoy, :)

Zx.[/cut]

Great work!!
Seems to run full-speed with default settings (just had a quick play of 3D Asteroids)

One thing I noticed; a faint vertical white line appears on the left side of the screen during gameplay.

Thanks for all your hard work; Guru status deserved! :D

I just saw a review on one of the weirdest games ever on you tube 'Ninja golf' on atari 7800
Now, I'm definitely have to check out this emulator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ASUW4diw

Last edited by a moderator:
ledro said:
I just saw a review on one of the weirdest games ever on you tube 'Ninja golf' on atari 7800
Now, I'm definitely have to check out this emulator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ASUW4diw

I have to play that game. :ph34r:

Thanks zx-81!

I just played a couple of games of Asteroids.
This emulator seems perfect!

TelcoLou said:
Great work!!
Seems to run full-speed with default settings (just had a quick play of 3D Asteroids)

One thing I noticed; a faint vertical white line appears on the left side of the screen during gameplay.

How did you get it running fullspeed? It runs like 1/2 speed for me with very stuttery sound. I even tried to OC to 240 MHz but it didn't seem to speed up much.

Maybe the MMU hack or RAM timings could help here?

Congrats on the Guru ZX :)

DaveC said:
TelcoLou said:
Great work!!

How did you get it running fullspeed? It runs like 1/2 speed for me with very stuttery sound. I even tried to OC to 240 MHz but it didn't seem to speed up much.

Maybe the MMU hack or RAM timings could help here?

Congrats on the Guru ZX :)

* checks post *

... Yep, I said it seems like fullspeed after quick play of 3D asteroids, but I didn't try any other games.

I just chucked the Atari 7800 bios in the a7800 folder, ran the emu, chose a game and played.

Do you also have that faint white vertical row of pixels on the left side of the screen?

Hmm this is cool. I never owened an Atari 7800 so could someone give me a small list of must-plays? :D

I'll be checking out that Ninja golf for sure.

Shifty said:
Hmm this is cool. I never owened an Atari 7800 so could someone give me a small list of must-plays? :D

I'll be checking out that Ninja golf for sure.
... 3D Asteroids comes to mind ;)

TelcoLou said:
* checks post *

... Yep, I said it seems like fullspeed after quick play of 3D asteroids, but I didn't try any other games.

I just chucked the Atari 7800 bios in the a7800 folder, ran the emu, chose a game and played.

Do you also have that faint white vertical row of pixels on the left side of the screen?
I don't think it needs a bios as I loaded without and it worked. I put one in too after awhile but it makes no difference.

Yes I have a very light line I have a MK2. It is so faint though that I don't really notice.

I tried To put at FS1 and 240 MHz and it is still pretty slow, far from full speed. It sounds like you are playing "under water" too which basically sounds like frameskipped audio. That is probably due to the speed.

DaveC said:
TelcoLou said:
* checks post *

I don't think it needs a bios as I loaded without and it worked. I put one in too after awhile but it makes no difference.

Yes I have a very light line I have a MK2. It is so faint though that I don't really notice.

I tried To put at FS1 and 240 MHz and it is still pretty slow, far from full speed. It sounds like you are playing "under water" too which basically sounds like frameskipped audio. That is probably due to the speed.

Indeed. I compared it to MESS and this one's definitely slower at 200mhz.

Sorry for the confusion and over-exuberance ;)

TelcoLou said:

You can disable the speed limiter (which doesn't work fine on this emu), in the settings menu let it to "no", and it should be a bit faster :)

zx-81 said:
TelcoLou said:

You can disable the speed limiter (which doesn't work fine on this emu), in the settings menu let it to "no", and it should be a bit faster :)

Is there any chance this one may be optimised to run full speed some day? The lack of speed also makes the sound bad. It would be cool to have a fullspeed 7800 emu. Maybe you could use some of the GP2X speed tricks like MMU hack and/or Craig's RAM timings to speed it up?

Is this supposed to just be proof of concept? It's good, don't get me wrong, but it has lots of graphical and compatibility issues. MotorPsycho cuts off the bottom half of the screen. I also had some games I couldn't get working, which are as follows:

KungFu Master, Pit Fighter, Ball Blazer, Barnyard Blaster, and Fatal Run.

Now I only tried about ten games so for this many to have problems, it needs to be worked on a lot. Some of the game would load and then freeze at the menu, some wouldn't load at all. Is anybody else having this problem?

Back